Implanted yesterday!

bluesidae

• HearPeers Heroes

Well every year they would turn them up over a twenty year period. To the point now just before implantation I was at 16% on the right and 6% on the left. It makes perfect sense to me. Louder and labourer every year for a long period. I wore them every day for 12 plus hours. It kind of adds up.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Dsmerrit. I am getting excited. I feel bare without something on my head on the right side!! And nothing in my ear is even weirder!!! Lol.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana

I think hearing aids in general have improved over the years. The issue is that they make all sounds louder which sometimes does not help very much

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana that exactly what' I mean. Long term it may do damage.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think if the threshold is too high, it certainly can damage the hair cells that are still working. They usually go through a number of different tests to make sure the volume is turned up just enough to give you benefit but not too much.

Many people including myself have suffered from progressive hearing loss. This means you are losing your hearing gradually over a certain period of time. I'm most cases, a specific reason for the loss of hearing can not be pinpointed.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yup they said they haven't any idea why I have progressively lost my hearing. I always had a hearing test then they would adjust the levels accordingly.

• HearPeers Heroes

No people - this doesn't work like this. You had progressive hearing loss and as the consequence you needed each year more intensity - it does not hurt hear cells, it just follows progressive loss. Equivalently, would you consider that glasses make worse sight? Not really, if your sight is getting worse each year - this only means that it is progressive and cause is unknown: glasses doesn't have any kind of effect.

• HearPeers Heroes

And - most of progressive or nonprogressive hearing liss is idiopathic which means that cause is unknown.

• HearPeers Heroes

Right Ivana. We just exhaust the ability of hearing aids to help us anymore. Many people have stable hearing losses and wear hearing aids for decades without any problems. My progressive hearing loss was the reason hearing aids stopped being helpful.

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Mary Beth - there are hearing protection mechanisms to stop too much noise and possible effect on hear cells. Otherwise, people would become deaf within the blink of their eye...

• HearPeers Heroes

Agreed ivana, my apologies for not explaining thoroughly. As my hearing got worse, then we adjusted my ha's. It wasn't the other way around. As I said earlier, in a majority of cases they don't know the reason for the loss. All they can do is try to compensate for lack of a better term with the HA's

• HearPeers Heroes

My take on it was that I didn't really care why I was losing it or that they couldn't give me a reason. My main concern was that they had an HA that could bring the volume up to a comfortable level to help with understanding speech

• HearPeers Heroes

I am with you. On that one Adam. I didn't care either just seems like the only thing that changed was the hearing levels in the HAs so it seems like a good explanation. That's all.

• HearPeers Heroes

My take on it was that I didn't really care why I was losing it or that they couldn't give me a reason. My main concern was that they had an HA that could bring the volume up to a comfortable level to help with understanding speech

Well, basically they couldn't do anything because they didn't know what is the cause. Perhaps, if the reason is chronic otitis media - fistula could be the reason: the only way to find the cause is to make a surgical exploration. If Meniere disease is the reason there is nothing what they could do.

I would stress that it is dangerous to make conclusion that hearing aids made worse your hearing situation. HA just tracked your loss - if it would be the other way basically it won't be allowed to use them. FDA wouldn't allowed.

Sorry people but you should see the particular problem from the other perspectives also.

Wow congrats Ross. I too waited as long as I could but jumped on it at the last minute. I was implanted in November 5 and will be activated on December 1. Take it easy Ross! Enjoy the down time. (If you have any!)

Today is the big day?? Hoping all goes well and please let us know how it goes!

• HearPeers Heroes

Well it went well Ross. I can hear voices but the are high pitched but soft. Weird other than that the sound of clinking of dished weds me through the roof!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,left ear they knew was fistula. Right ear they did not know.

I agree on the assumption the ha's made the hearing worse. I think that is highly improbable

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,left ear they knew was fistula. Right ear they did not know.

I agree on the assumption the ha's made the hearing worse. I think that is highly improbable

Sorry Adam - but I disagree regarding the role of the hearing aids.

Well, if I remember correctly you mentioned somewhere that they considered you as a case of Meniere disease. Fistula is the consequence of the chronic otitis media which is usually bilateral.

Actually, I had a patient like you at my final exam. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam and Ivana,

I actually think you two are agreeing with each other. HAs are not the cause of progressive hearing loss.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam and Ivana,

I actually think you two are agreeing with each other. HAs are not the cause of progressive hearing loss.

Mary Beth

I hope so Mary Beth but I am not sure...:(

• HearPeers Heroes

So I'm an idiopath!!! Lol. I have idiopathic epilepsy too so who knows!!! Lol

Well it went well Ross. I can hear voices but the are high pitched but soft. Weird other than that the sound of clinking of dished weds me through the roof!!

So happy that it went well. A few years ago I tried the headband version. Clinking dishes drove me totally nuts! I am sure that, once your brain and audiologist get things figured out, your hearing will steadily improve. You have received a wonderful present for the Holidays!