BoneBridge vs. Oticon Ponto Plus for SSD?

Tim

• HearPeers Heroes

NERD?!?!

Ivana, I am pretty sure you did research before you moved forward.

• HearPeers Heroes

NERD?!?

Come on Ivana, I am pretty sure you left no stone unturned when doing your research either

• HearPeers Heroes

I have audio books and ab clix set up. I know med el has stuff too. I just wanted to have it ready so I don't waste any time looking for things to use.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have audio books and ab clix set up. I know med el has stuff too. I just wanted to have it ready so I don't waste any time looking for things to use.

. Also I have continents and oceans.

• HearPeers Heroes

NERD?!?

Come on Ivana, I am pretty sure you left no stone unturned when doing your research either

Argh... Adam, please don't be insulted - we say that to the person who knows a lot :D

It's positive in some kind of shy way ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

New Hearing

I found ABClix great to start with and of course audio books as long as you have the text to follow along with at first. You may want to also download iAngel Sounds. In that app, click on the bottom right icon to make setting changes.

Have fun!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary Beth I appreciate all the help I can get. I plan to get the most out of my CI. It truly is a wonderful gift.

• HearPeers Heroes

I feel the same way and have trained since activation in March. Now I'm training my first CI and my new CI. It's very rewarding. Keep a listening journal. You will be amazed when you go back and read it.

• Members

Wow!  Great activity and advice - particularly from Ivana!  Thanks very much for the detailed information and the links to papers.   I've been going through the abstracts and the full text of papers when I can find them.  I'm used to reviewing engineering and management research papers but the terms are still outside my normal area.

My question about comparing a headband bone conduction system to the BoneBridge was probably awkwardly written.  It is normally hard to do much in the way of comparisons for internal systems so the headband and the closely related BoneBridge seem like there might be some anecdotal comparisons.  It seems like the BoneBridge work "better" than the headband for a variety of reasons.  

Can anyone speak from experience on this?  

I recognize that a cochlear implant is probably the better option for several reasons:

1.  Allows/enables stereo hearing and the ability to locate sounds

2.  Research shows greater likelihood to help tinnitus

3.  Research seems to show better "hearing in noise" performance

BoneBridge seems to have a few advantages as well:

1.  Lower cost and therefore greater likelihood of insurance approval 

2.  Much shorter "rehabilitation" time

3.  Leaves the option for potential hair cell regeneration if the technology develops (currently in mouse trials but many years away from people)

Those seem like the major advantages of each based on my reading.  

Am I missing anything big or perhaps mistaken on anything?

Once again, thank much for the input and discussion.  I hope to be able to contribute back as I learn more and get first hand experience.  

PS.  Congratulations Ivana on passing your exams.  There will be many people lucky to be your future patients!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tim,

Thank you - I see it as an opportunity to see the problem through the particular perspective. Still much efforts I have to make to keep my step in this extremely interesting scientific field.

Once again, basically I don't have problem to understand what is written but if something is written in a way that I am not sure - I choose to ask better than making wrong conclusion. :)

Anyway, back to your questions: we had before a member who has chosen a CI after we started a discussion hear - Wyndon Royal.

Those specific questions from the standpoint of particular user I can not answer but I can comment that one where you mention hair cell regeneration. Basically, concept is here but we still don't know enough to restore complete hearing. On the other side, one big question is - neuroplasticity. If you do not stimulate for some time your hearing nerve and hearing brain pathway, your hearing diminish like, for instance, a muscle. Of course, it is possible to revert the changes but it takes time and efforts.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, not insulted at all. Actually you got me laughing.

• HearPeers Heroes

It is my understanding that hair cell regeneration is being researched but we are years away from even getting close to trials. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on that technology

• HearPeers Heroes

I read of people not getting a CI because they were gonna wait for the cell regeneration. Everything I have read is that is years away. Then again what do I know?

• HearPeers Heroes

They may end with the " would have should have could haves!" If we wait sometimes we never get there.

• HearPeers Heroes

It is my understanding that hair cell regeneration is being researched but we are years away from even getting close to trials. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on that technology

That's correct - especially if we take into account neuroplasticity subject.

• HearPeers Heroes

The brain is prime real estate. Use it or lose it. If the auditory centers are not stimulated, some other function will gladly take up that space. Interesting book: The Brain That Changes Itself.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

The brain is prime real estate. Use it or lose it. If the auditory centers are not stimulated, some other function will gladly take up that space. Interesting book: The Brain That Changes Itself.

Correct Mary Beth!

For instance, it is scientificly approved that people with gearing loss have much better developed visual cortex and brain pathways because these structures are dominant.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'll tell you something. When my third child was born my hearing was so dimished that I couldn't hear her cry in the night. Lo and be hold I developed internal clock. I would wake up every time before the baby and even now since I can't hear an alarm clock I automatically wake up when u need to. So I wouldn't need a vibrating alarm clock. It's a miracle what the brain can do.