Newhearing

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks everyone. I working on it. Today was better not so over stimulating.

Kara,

So excited to read good news!

After reading a couple of these negative posts, I was starting to get nervous about my upcoming surgery on 12/22.

So glad to hear someone had a good start. I am hoping for the same experience

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

Elbras

I think a majority of folks have a good activation. I think more than anything it probably is not what you expect. The Audi will try to give you some examples of what it might sound like. Until you go through it you just don't know. Everybody I think wants so badly to hear that maybe some might be a little disappointed with the initial activation.

Both of my activations were totally different as far as what I was hearing.just try to go in with low expectations but high hopes. Another thing to remember is that it will get better. Your brain has a lot of work to do with is new hearing and it takes time. Just remember the 3 p's and be sure to check in with your hearpeers buddies because there is nothing like having support from somebody who has been through it.

• HearPeers Heroes

I an say that has been the best thing for me. Having all my buddies here to encourage me along. Also to set the record straight. Sometimes we get miss- information and the others have been able to help me with that too!! All of them!! Adam and Ivana and Mary Beth and Sandy Erik and some others I can't remember oh, Hadron too!! Thanks Hear peers!!! ❤❤

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh and today is Darth Vader day!!! Lol!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

My Audie actually was sounding like Alvin the chipmunk, then mid sentence she sounded like Darth Vader. I had to laugh.

I asked what was going on and she said that my brain was busy trying to sort out sounds it hadn't heard in a very long time.

• HearPeers Heroes

I've found that after each new mapping I have to diligently practice patience. Sounds can be different and especially louder. It takes awhile to get used to but is worth it in the end. I had such a low tolerance for "loud". I found, for myself, it was best to get used to the loud sounds and hesitated using the fine tuner to turn them down. It's worked for me, but everyone has different levels of tolerance. What works for one, is not necessarily what works for another.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am finding that loud is getting a bit better. If I hum when I get the dishes it's not so bad. So I am doing the best I can. Put my hair in a ponytail today to show it off!! The magnet was strong enough too. So all good for day three. Did anyone else find that when ur brain was tired it stopped hearing? I am finding this only when training.

Adam,

Thanks for the helpful info. All my friends who know how assertive I am are telling me that I will do great!

Since my surgery is getting close, I am a little nervous.

Now about patience: it is a difficult virtue to maintain.

I have learned some patience, as I have had health issues with my sense of smell & I just got it back in July after losing it off and on for over 26 years! But Thanksgiving dinner was so good! Now I need to practice that patience again...

Thanks for the encouragements, everyone.

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

I know the feeling Elbras

I had my 39th surgery this past September.

It is totally normal being apprehensive as this is a first big step in changing your quality of life. I'm sure you will do great. If you have anybody to wait on you hand and foot for a couple of days, take advantage of it. :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Elaine,

Wishing you the best! Feeling nervous is definitely understandable.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was nervous too Elaine. But it all worked out. I had a fabulous team of surgeons. We live in the two nations in the world medically speaking were we can look to the doctors and be sure things will go well. They have fabulous hospitals and all the medical equipment possible. So those of us here will be right here thinking about you and we wish you all the best!!! It's normal to be a bit nervous. So try not to think about it too much. Kara

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam Ivana do you guys have an answer for me? I am having an issue with the CI. I find that it is very quiet Ben on the loudest setting. It tends to stop having any speech differentiation during triaining. I talked to the Audi and she said it may be hearing fatigue. But it is now all the time. Starting today. I noticed it yesterday too. I have been putting it in the dryer every night and only putting it on with dry hair. A little frustrated here. M

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara forgive me for not remembering but how long have you been activated

• HearPeers Heroes

Since Tuesday. It seems to be a gradual decline in hearing levels.

• HearPeers Heroes

Is there any point in doing training if you only hear muffles??

• HearPeers Heroes

Your audiologist said to you that it is on the loudest setting?

Is it the loudest setting you can put or your audi's loudest setting?

If I am correcr, audiologists tend to activate and start a CI journey at the lowest possible setting so the brain doesn't get too much shocks within first few days...

• HearPeers Heroes

That's right Kara. They usually build you up over 4 weeks or so. At the beginning of the first week, it might seem comfortable maybe almost a little loud. By the end of the week, things should sound much softer. At this point, you go up in volume.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara,

Have you been using your FineTuner? Sounds like you may have pushed a wrong button by mistake. If so, just reset the FineTuner.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara,

During the first week of activation of my second CI I also experience sound that was fading out and getting way to quiet. I had my iPad set on max volume and also had the Quattro4 neckloop set at max volume. I, too, was concerned. I had to stop some of the iPad training because it was just too quiet to hear. I had been give4 programs to work through during that first week. When I went in for my mapping after one week, the new map was so much better! And speech has not faded away with these new maps.

When is your next mapping appointment?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I was given four programs. Low- normal ear. Then low quiet program. Then louder normal ear and louder-quiet program. I have used my fine tuner. I put it on the third program and turned it up five times. It maxed out. I just reset it. It sounds the same.

• HearPeers Heroes

When do you go back for a new mapping? Things change fast in the beginning.

• HearPeers Heroes

I bet that fast evolving hearing neuroplasticity is the reason. If you remember, your start was far better than you could expect.

At some point, our journeys overlap so although you know this is it you still can't believe that things can change so fast.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was told not to try the fine tuner for a while to give my brain time to get used to the new things it hearing. Trying to adjust things might muddy the waters so to speak.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Make Sure you take plenty of detailed notes that you can bring to your Audi at the next mapping. What things sound like, where you are, acoustics of room, inside or outside, men women........

This should really help the Audi fine tune your mapping. Be patient and practice.