Newhearing

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok I feel much better now. I have a hearing journal like Mary Beth suggested. The Audi actually said to use the finer tuner as the first program will become too quiet. Also she said that if you think you have pushed too many buttuons on it to reset it. So I guess I wait. I go back on Tuesday coming up. I will push forward. Thanks again all for your support. I will continue to keep you upro date here.

• HearPeers Heroes

Step by step Kara - like Adam said, this is marathon not a sprint. You can't run faster to reach your destination sooner. When the time is right, what should happen - it will happen.

• HearPeers Heroes

You are doing great Kara. You just need to take a break from training until you get a new program. You will be amazed at what a new program will do for you.

Enjoy your day.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I have had a great day visiting with family and friends I haven't seen at church for a month!! Thanks guys!!

• HearPeers Heroes

That's awesome Kara, how did things go with background noise?

• HearPeers Heroes

It's still very quiet. I could only hear people next to me. It's what I'm used to. I generally sit quietly or help in the kitchen away from people when it loud.

• HearPeers Heroes

I know that's bad and i know it could improve. It's one of my bad hearing habits.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kara, I think we've all had those "bad hearing habits". You're doing great. I chose not to use the finetuner. The friend who helped me was a real seargent-major and one of her favourite sayings was "We have to hear it, so do you". That being said, quiet time is still good and necessary.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep, we almost have the best of both worlds. We hear when we need to and can turn everything off when we need a break

• HearPeers Heroes

That I do love to do occasionally. I call it a hearing vacation!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I use it when I have to focus to something, for instance when I read something or it's just to loud so I sense it as "hearing fatigue". :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep everybody gets aggravated with the fireworks going off during the 4th of July but I sleep like a baby :D)

• HearPeers Heroes

Some people in my neighborhood shoot them off until late at night. Some of the people get frustrated saying they can't get any sleep because of the noise. I don't wear my processors while sleeping so it doesn't bother me one bit :D

• HearPeers Heroes

We get that here too on Canada weekend or Victoria Day or in August for civic holiday or labour day weekend. I sleep like a baby as well!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I like fireworks :) but as you - need my sessions of complete peace.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes it's nice. I don't need it every day as the kids go to school I have my peace and quiet then.

• HearPeers Heroes

So just back from the Audi with the second mapping. Wow I can hear so much. Better today!! She also thought that my issue was with neuroplasticity. So a new week with great maps to explore she gave me three new programs. One each louder than the other. Also one quiet program. It's so so so much better!!! I can hear the iPad without holding it up to my CI!! Yay! Heard many new sounds on the way home. A crinkle in a plastic water bottle was one, the click the door on the car makes. Awesome I am over the moon!! Well back to some training. Talk soon, Kara

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh how I love the fm battery pack option with the EA MIX cord!! I actually called some people today. No one actually answered but I left a message!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Thanks Med El for the awesome tools!! Also for Sandy, I spoke with the Audi about becoming bilateral. She said they. Don't usually do it But you can appeal the the head of the Implant team they may consider it. Though they would ask for you to be part of a research project and would require more frequent visits. I will try. I know I cant live without two ears working. My left one won't work forever. So I will definitely try.

• HearPeers Heroes

First, YES!!!!!

That is so awesome. Seems like some big improvement and this is still just very early on.

I love the FM in certain situations.

Definitely appeal. You have the possibility of going bilateral plus a chance to participate in some research. I participated in a research project at Arizona State University 6 months after going bilateral. The study was on whether 2 CI's are actually better than one. It was part of a doctoral thesis. I was 1 of many to take part. They flew me cross country ( they paid) put me up in a hotel for 3 days, fed me and paid a perdiem. I was in the sound booth for hours each day but I learned SOO much about CI's, how they work, how the brain "figures it out". It was fascinating. Will do it again if given the chance

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to the wonderful world of CI mappings. Our audiologists hold a lot of power! Smile. A few clicks here and there and we are off and running once again.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have written a rough draft for the implant team. So any particulars I need to submit?? Yes I was so happy to hear so well again. My Audi is fabulous.

• HearPeers Heroes

So just back from the Audi with the second mapping. Wow I can hear so much. Better today!! She also thought that my issue was with neuroplasticity. So a new week with great maps to explore she gave me three new programs. One each louder than the other. Also one quiet program. It's so so so much better!!! I can hear the iPad without holding it up to my CI!! Yay! Heard many new sounds on the way home. A crinkle in a plastic water bottle was one, the click the door on the car makes. Awesome I am over the moon!! Well back to some training. Talk soon, Kara

He-he...

Just have to be patient - you see how things change fast and two people don't react same: St. NeuroMuscle ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Bilateral benefits:

Localization of sounds

Improved hearing in noise

No head shadow

Summative benefit of hearing with two ears

But since these benefits apply to anyone who goes bilateral, they may not be what you need to submit in your appeal letter. Maybe someone else from Canada who has been successful in getting a second CI or at least successful in getting placed on the wait list for a second CI can chime in.