Newhearing

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara

You can be the vehicle that makes him realize that this technology works, whether it is hearing aid or CI. You don't have to say a word to him. He will see you more and more engaged in conversation, hearing things he can't. That will stir his interest. Keep doing what you are doing and you will have a direct effect on the hearing impaired around you. And you don't have to say a word to them.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a brother with hearing aids and he says he doesn't need them. Horse to water. All we can do is lead by example and show those around us that there are benefits to this technology.

• HearPeers Heroes

Very well put Sandy.

I work at a church and there is a saying I heard many years ago which applies just in different context.

"preach the Gospel but sometimes use words"

I think people are more impacted by how they see it than you trying to convince them.

• HearPeers Heroes

That makes sense! I am able for the most part now to hear a sermon in church with just my bimodal parts!! No head phones or fm systems!! For the most part that is!! I am so happy with my CI!!

• HearPeers Heroes

That is a huge step Kara

It took a while for me to be able to understand anybody using a microphone.

You are doing amazingly well! So happy for you

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

This is my activation journey for those who are new here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Well had a rough day yesterday. I had another tonic/clonic seizure Thursday night. I am sore all over now.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am so sorry to hear that Kara. You must be exhausted today. Rest well and pamper yourself a bit. Sure hope you are feeling back to your full self soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am well. Really sore actually. But I'm fine. My potassium and phosphorus levels were a bit low. So I think that's what caused it this time.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kara, I'm sorry to hear you aren't well. Take care of yourself and rest.

Sandy

• HearPeers Heroes

I am doing my best here! Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well had a rough day yesterday. I had another tonic/clonic seizure Thursday night. I am sore all over now.

:(  :(  :(

• HearPeers Heroes

Hope the levels have stableized. It would wipe my wife out after having a gran mal Seizure

• HearPeers Heroes

Well thy gave me some supplements to take for two weeks. I am still a bit sore. Yes it does wipe you out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana. I didn't ask this question to a doctor yet. Could low potassium and phosphorus cause a seizure??

• HearPeers Heroes

I am sorry, Kara, that it happened to you. Hope you do feel better now. Sure, low potassium level can lead to a seizure. Good news, it can be corrected easily.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana. I didn't ask this question to a doctor yet. Could low potassium and phosphorus cause a seizure??

Well, hypokalemia or low potassium solely is not usual cause of seizures - it actually is more evident as muscle paralysis, but electrolyte abnormalities (hyper- and hypo-) usually come conjoined.

This means that imbalance of potassium usually go along with imbalance of sodium which actually triggers seizures:

http://tinyurl.com/hjdkh7o

http://tinyurl.com/hc2vp5p

http://tinyurl.com/j2g5qvz

This is in short, although this is very complex pathophysiology. When doctors have a patient in an ICU they basically fight for a levels of electrolytes. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you. Ivana and Cara. I figured it was that the electrolytes were off. The doctor kind of said that with epilepsy they should be stsble to prevent them. But he didn't say it caused it. But it makes perfect sense. I have idiopathic epilepsy and have had three seizures in my life now. I had low potassium and phosphorus. .61 phosphorus and 3.1 potassium.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh and I have complex partial seizures every 2-3 months. Only at night.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well... there are certain conditions which may initiate seizures caused by imbalanced electrolytes. It's very complicated part of medicine - many fields actually crossroads here...

Idiopathic means that we do not know what is cause - beyond to our present comprehension abilities. We, however, might suspect and should treat possible causes. Usually people don't enter so easily into electrolytes disbalance.