Newhearing

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

So the date is set!! March 29! For second surgery. 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Kara of Canada said:

So the date is set!! March 29! For second surgery. 

Great News!! Congrats!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks guys! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

For those following my journey I had my pre-op. All set for surgery on the 29 of this month. Two weeks I’ll be bilateral!! 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

UPDATE

So surgery was a success. No complications. I was in nd out of the hospital in 8 hours. Recovery was very good. Only strong pain meds the first night then regular Tylenol for a week as needed. 

Staples out today no issues. I did however start having some nerve pain a couple of days ago. It comes and goes exspecially in the middle of the night. Drsaid he didn’t know what to say about it. I had it last time so I will just tough it out.

Activation May 3! Can’t wait!! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually @Jewel I think I figured it out! My husband has the fan on high at night and I think it was hurting my ear with the breeze. The last two nights I have covered my ear. Seems to help. Also when I go out if it’s cold and windy I cover my ear. Still have a bit of achy ness but definitely not as bad. Strange but weird! That’s my life!! 

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Wow been a wile since an update. So hearing is coming along well with two implants now. I just had my one month mapping and it was amazing. My first ear the right one is preforming the same. Which I wasn’t sure. Since the second one was turned one it was feeling as thought it was hindering the first. But it wasn’t. As for the second it is catching up rapidly. It’s at 48% already! With the two together in a quiet setting it’s at 90% in a noise setting they’re at 74%. So I couldn’t be happier. Even though speech isn’t sounding normal it is there! So I have to keep up my good work as my Audi said and don’t change anything! So onward with audiobooks it is! How are things @Mary Featherston? @Renachelw And @stranger? Or @Dave in Pittsburgh  been a awhile. 

• Like 3

Hi @Kara of Canada that's good to hear! It's been almost, (1 day more) to a week since switch on. I'm hearing relatively well, speech is sounding more normal now, and sometimes I can even hear through rooms without lipreading! It's magical. The quality of sound right now i'm hearing is about the same as the time when my hearing was Profound range and HAs did not help, and had to use the FM system. It sounds "echo-y" like the FM system. Not sure if that's supposed to be like that or what lol. 

I also tried singing last night. I listened to Sam Smith's too good at goodbyes for the 1st time (and many times after that), followed by attempting. My sis says I improved a lot, but maybe I need better speakers coz i'm still quite terrible lol.  I can finally hear what song is like. All long I've been hearing and singing as if i'm reading, I can finally hear the -Idk the word- vibrato?? I'm still having some problems with Pitch and differentiating Male and Female voice in songs though. 

Honestly I do not know why I can understand speech so fast (as I've read that most people don't get it till more mappings), so i'm actually really scared that this is the best quality i'll ever get and i'm potentially stuck with it? I do not know. 

Will be going for my 1st mapping later in the afternoon, followed by speech therapy. I'm wondering what it will be like during and after? :) 
Edit: I also listened on YouTube to tunes of some songs I used to play on the violin, they're recognizable but not fantastic. Definitely better than during my terrible hearing with HAs. I might go back to playing the violin again someday. Now i'm actually scared to try coz I don't want to be disappointed. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s early weeks still @Renachelw.  A lot will still change.  Great start!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Renachelw I was going to say that too. My new ear still sounds off. Sounds like people have cotton in their mouth. Which I am starting to notice is going away slowly. So yes it takes time. The more you practice the better things will sound. Music I’d don’t push till month two or three. It took a long time the first round for it to sound good. But I had to listen and re-listen to get it sounding good. So chin up you are well on your way. 

@Kara of Canada Thanks :) I just got back from the audiologist and speech therapy. 

I was actually given a remote with volumes from 6-10. I felt fine with staying at 6 so I didn’t increase, but today after some tests, my audiologists told me I needed to increase the volume as I was not hearing all the sounds. Mapping has been shifted to end July.

Also I can’t rly differentiate male and female voices in songs, as well as when I whistled I only hear the air sound but not the whistle sound. Did more beeping test, and we found that 2000Hz to be a low sound for me. Audiologists says it might be because one of the electrodes are not suitable or smth along those lines, but since it’s still early days, we’ll give it a month before returning back for mapping. So for now, no changes. 

My speech therapist and audiologist says that so far I’m progressing well, so we do not need to meet until end July. Meanwhile, I have to try to train my brain, especially for those words I can’t hear during rehab. I also have to switch of my hearing aid and use only the implant from now on, to train my brain faster, they said. 

Thats all for today :) 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So here’s a new one. I was testing for loudness in the electrodes. I noticed that the pitch changed as she increased the volume. She said that it’s because sometimes the electrode array is close to the canal and stimulates more than one hair cell! Was strange for me. But overall still progressing. Ear one was a bit behind so we remapped that too. Told to train my ears with background noise now. That will be tricky! But new!! So forward we go!! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great update @Kara of Canada.  I had to train each ear separately and both ears together so I did all training activities those 3 ways for quite awhile.

How are you planning on training in noise?

• HearPeers Heroes

I was told to use the neckloop for direct streaming, and have the tv or radio going in the background for the other ear. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

Definitely.  That trains each ear separately for speech in noise.  Just take turns with which ear is on T and which is on M.

We can also set both to MT and train both for speech in noise.  This is more difficult as we can not just tune out one side.

Have fun and good luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

Funny you say that! That’s the truth!  Mine has claimed to have met you!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s what she said. I told her you were a teacher of the deaf. And she described you. At a conference or something.