Newhearing

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah. That's my next task to figure out what the problem is. I think I I'll look into a nutritionist. To see if I can find the right balance of the food side of things.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you for all your wealth of knowledge!!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Not a problem  ;)  - have you checked your kidneys and adrenal gland? :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

No I haven't checked them yet. I have a birth defected kidney which was reconstructed in 98 and I haven't had an issue with it since. I will double check it. I was wondering about thyroid.

• HearPeers Heroes

No I haven't checked them yet. I have a birth defected kidney which was reconstructed in 98 and I haven't had an issue with it since. I will double check it. I was wondering about thyroid.

Nope - thyroid is not connected with this part of metabolism. I would check up kidney function.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great thanks Ivana!! Finally someone has some real info for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

At least a clue to check up although really good advice should be given after physical check-up with medical history. Sometimes it is just like Dr. House, and sometimes you wander into the X-files :P (I have just watched new season...:) )

• HearPeers Heroes

lol!! I used to watch tha show!!! He was great!! I have an appointment tomorrow with my regular doctor so we shall see. These potassium pills are making me feel nauseous.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was wondering about thyroid.

Like Ivana said, thyroid activity should not affect the potassium/phosphate levels. But parathyroid glands can. I agree with Ivana's idea to check  kidney function along with adrenal activity.  Also it is good to rule out malabsorption factor (usually related to GI functions) and diabetic issues.

Hope you doctor is good in internal medicine and has some background in endocrinology to find the cause of your condition.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

lol!! I used to watch tha show!!! He was great!! I have an appointment tomorrow with my regular doctor so we shall see. These potassium pills are making me feel nauseous.

Bananas! ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

I love bananas. I forgot to pick them up last week. Before my seizure. I usually eat them everyday. My doctor says kidney functions is excellent. She says maybe I drink too much water!! Neutrophils and lymphocytes were high. In the blood test as well. So I am getting re-tested tomorrow.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good that your kidney is fine. Hopefully, your white blood cells will be back to normal tomorrow  and your doc finds that your have nothing serious to worry about. Recently you had enough stress (physical and psychological) that can explain your current misbalance found in the test. Good luck tomorrow.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Cara. My doctor is convinced I need to take medication. I am looking into the natural option. Don't get me wrong if I felt there was a need for meds I would take them. But a seizure once every two years is hardly reason to take meds everyday.

• HearPeers Heroes

I love bananas. I forgot to pick them up last week. Before my seizure. I usually eat them everyday. My doctor says kidney functions is excellent. She says maybe I drink too much water!! Neutrophils and lymphocytes were high. In the blood test as well. So I am getting re-tested tomorrow.

It is not so easy to trick your body - you had to drink huuuuuuuuge amount of water to do that. WBC does not have any connection.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Cara. My doctor is convinced I need to take medication. I am looking into the natural option. Don't get me wrong if I felt there was a need for meds I would take them. But a seizure once every two years is hardly reason to take meds everyday.

I would also try dietary option and only if deficiency prolongs - would try with medication.

• HearPeers Heroes

Meds for seizures that is. I would take supplements. I want to look into dietary as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

Meds for seizures that is. I would take supplements. I want to look into dietary as well.

Ahhhh... Pardon me - I thought you are taking potassium as pils.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes right now potassium and phosphorus. She wants me to take anti-seizure meds. I said no. I don't see a need to take a pill everyday for something that happens every other year. I am very sensitive to medical chemicals. I know for a fact it will have some sort of negative effect on me. If I was to have a seizure more than once a month ok I would take them. But for now no.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think that anti-seizure meds should be prescribed by neurologists. For instance, although I am a MD, I would never involve myself into field of medicine where I do not have thorough experience. This doesn't mean that I am oppose to her opinion, just choosing the side with which I am more comfort.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes. I know about that. My neurologist thinks I should as well. But I have been fine for 2years!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Huh...  :huh:

Pardon me - I did not understand that you are talking about neurologist.

Well, this is little bit more complex because at some point you have to decide whether you trust your neurologist or not. 

Have you taken your pills until now and got seizure or you didn't take it at all and you got one?

Problem is because - point of your co-operation starts to be blurry. :wacko:  

• HearPeers Heroes

Right. I have had three seizures now. After two the neurologist wanted me to take pills. I said no. I went two years without a seizure. Now I had one for a different reason. Electrolytes. I will take meds when the seizures affect my quality of life. They don't now. I would like to pursue this issue as naturally as possible till I can't anymore. If I have more than one seizure a month then I would take pills. Just not now. I ask for a referral for a second opinion. My doctor said its not worth it. So right now I am waiting to see when my blood work balances out or not. Then if it does then I will let it go. If it doesn't I will go to a naturopathic doctor. For now.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am writing this just because of precautions because I am not familiar with epilepsy treatment algorithms, you need to consider one more thing - what if seizure happens at some difficult to handle situations like driving a car or similar.

Ok - I am off of rambling. :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana. I have had my licence suspended for seizures and haven't had it reinstated yet. I was working on it when the last big seizure happened. Here in Ontario we have to be seizure free for at least six months before they will reinstate it. But my neurologist was giving me a hard time to get it back.also I have only ever had a seizure in my sleep. Never while awake.