Sonnet Voucher

Ms_D

• HearPeers Heroes

My HA Audi says they have the regular 675. I really don't know too much about them.

• HearPeers Heroes

Generic meaning regular 675 batteries, not CI specific. I have used power one and another type. No difference that I can tell.

I believe the CI batteries have more openings for air. This supposedly make them more powerful but people complain that they don't last as long.

Mmm... Interesting - you mean that energy leak to early so it's not possible to use it long enough? You puzzled me so I urged to google this out and seems your observations could be TRUE :D

https://habex.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/504338-what-is-the-difference-between-cochlear-and-hearin

"...Some implant processors, such as those from Medel, are designed to use normal 675 hearing aid batteries."

I just know that once I had an emergency and needed to buy a battery because mine present at the implant was unexpectedly drained too early and I bought a battery for video-camera. Well, it saved my butt but it served only a day or two... :D 

• 4 weeks later...

To update everyone: I wore the Opus 2 for about a month or so, and finally not feeling much pain at all from it - I guess I just had to get used to it.  I still prefer the Rondo, but I like the Opus 2 as well. :-)  Monday I switched back to my Rondo (and will be ordering more batteries soon - I will also contact Med-El and/or Cigna (my health insurance provider) to see if my health insurance will cover the cost of the batteries - but since I have HDHP/HSA, I have to reach the maximum out of pocket before the insurance pays anything).  I am quite certain I can use my HSA funds to pay for the batteries.  I have not seen the batteries in local stores, so I order them online at micro battery.  

I'm still hoping to get the implant done in my left ear either in 2016 or 2017...just depend on if my husband and I can save up the money to afford the cost of the surgery.  Health insurance deductibles and out-of-pocket expenses are high these days.  I truly believe it would be very beneficial to have the implant done in the left ear as well.  I only have 10% of my hearing left in that ear and it becoming more difficult to hear clearly (understand words) even though my hearing aid is one of the top of the line devices (well, back when I got it a couple of years ago).  On Monday, I made the decision to go without my hearing aid (even at work) and just use my cochlear implant ear to hear - that way I am getting more practice time.  I don't think my co-workers even notice that I am not wearing my hearing aid. :-) 

• HearPeers Heroes

You will love being bilateral. It's like being in an IMAX movie- sound from all directions.

• HearPeers Heroes

Donna, do you currently work? are you in the U.S.?

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, I guess Donna is working when she describes her working colleagues in final lines of her text. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Donna, great to read your new decision's cloud of thoughts ;)

Hope that experience of Mary Beth and Adam interested you to consider another step in your hearing career.

Regarding the batteries, there are so many sources that you can really choose just be patient. ;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow Donna sounds like you're doing great!! I am sure you will love being bilateral!! I hope to achieve this as well. If the hospital will approve me. Good luck and glad to hear from you. Take care and keep us updated!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Donna,

I see you are in the United States, forgive me for forgetting your mention of coworkers. Thanks Ivana for pointing out my error.

My reason for asking if you were working is because your state might have a state funded vocational rehab in place which helps people stay in the workforce. They helped me get my implants as there was no way with a high deductible that I could afford the surgery. It might be something to look into

Adam

Believe me, the vocational rehab office no longer helps me.  They helped me find the job I have now - back almost 9 years ago.  They are rude these days and don't seem to want to work with folks.  Sorry for my delay in responding - I've been rather busy.  I do have a job and am able to pay bills and have a little money to set back each month.  My husband and I just got married back in May last year and we both have health issues (he has more than I do), so we always have to have money available to go toward doctor expenses. :-)  I'm not complaining about the cost of batteries, just been curious about how others dealt with it.  :-)  I am currently awaiting word from the health insurance rep as to whether or not insurance batteries are covered expense or at least can use HSA funds to pay for them without the IRS saying that I used the money for nonqualified medical expense.

• HearPeers Heroes

Donna, congratulations on your wedding

I believe hsa pays for batteries. I have used my card to pay for batteries and didn't have any issues. I do have different insurance than you do. I totally understand trying to deal with medical costs. I have an extremely high deductible. I had my 39th surgery this past Sept. Maybe talk to the hospital about billing you then make small payments each month. Can't hurt to ask

• HearPeers Heroes

Just returning to the original topic of Sonnet vouchers for a moment to let you know that people on another board have reported that they received letters and forms to redeem for Sonnets today in the mail! So the voucher redemption has begun!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

MaryBeth, did they mention where they were located?

• HearPeers Heroes

In the US.....I believe the vouchers may be coming in some kind of order as to when we received the voucher. She had received her voucher fall 2014. I received mine in March 2015 so I may still have a bit of a wait. New deadline for redeeming the vouchers has been extended to May.

• HearPeers Heroes

We will just hope that things will pick up and all those patiently waiting will get their Sonnets very soon

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to being able to receive the Sonnet soon.  I have yet to receive anything from Med-El or hear from them, but I am sure they are going down the list and will eventually get to me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't heard anything yet either. I did contact my CRS and he said the process has started but was unable to tell me when to expect mine. It's happening for others so hopefully soon for us.