The chatty forum

Kara of Canada

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey guys&girls, ladies&gentlemen, peasants and Lords :D

- what do you think about B-meson? :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Answer from a peasant - while waiting a word from our Milord.

What do I think about B-meson? A lot. But to be short…

First, I think why this particle is important for Ivana.

Then, perhaps the better understanding of this kind of particles can explain the one of the questions physicists are working on – the misbalance of the mass-energy between matter and antimatter in the Universe.

But in our peasant language -  B’meson is a very interesting “person” – it is a hadron subordinate if we mean the hadron as a head of the special department.

B-meson is a strange but charming person with bipolar issues as ups and downs are the parts of its nature.  And despite its positive side people think it is an outlaw as a CP violator responsible for matter-antimatter asymmetry.

• HearPeers Heroes

Did you know Einstein had these issues too??!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara, as I know, some of Einstein's contemporaries thought that he was a way not a perfect person. But who is without a sin to be the first to throw a stone at him.

You know, a genius and the norm are incompatible things :)

By the way, toady is Einstein's birth day. And also Pi Day 3.1416 if rounded to fourth digit :)

Are we going to celebrate these two great events?!~

• HearPeers Heroes

Cool! No I know no one is perfect. I am the queen of unperfectness!! Lol

• HearPeers Heroes

Answer from a peasant - while waiting a word from our Milord.

What do I think about B-meson? A lot. But to be short…

First, I think why this particle is important for Ivana.

Then, perhaps the better understanding of this kind of particles can explain the one of the questions physicists are working on – the misbalance of the mass-energy between matter and antimatter in the Universe.

But in our peasant language - B’meson is a very interesting “person” – it is a hadron subordinate if we mean the hadron as a head of the special department.

B-meson is a strange but charming person with bipolar issues as ups and downs are the parts of its nature. And despite its positive side people think it is an outlaw as a CP violator responsible for matter-antimatter asymmetry.

:D :D :D :D :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara, as I know, some of Einstein's contemporaries thought that he was a way not a perfect person. But who is without a sin to be the first to throw a stone at him.

You know, a genius and the norm are incompatible things :)

By the way, toady is Einstein's birth day. And also Pi Day 3.1416 if rounded to fourth digit :)

Are we going to celebrate these two great events?!~

Of course, we set a math and physics a constant here :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Cool! No I know no one is perfect. I am the queen of unperfectness!! Lol

Ok, if you are the queen  of imperfectness, then allow me to grant myself with a title of princess of the same quality. That's funny. But the bitter truth is that we are not genii :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course, we set a math and physics a constant here :D

no, this time Kara and I innocently discussed the health conditions of Einstein and related social events. Nothing else :rolleyes:

• HearPeers Heroes

Granted princess Cara!!

• HearPeers Heroes

no, this time Kara and I innocently discussed the health conditions of Einstein and related social events. Nothing else :rolleyes:

Well... At least Einstein and related science were mentioned and properly evaluated - a double blind experiment. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Ivana,

The B meson is very interesting. It is composed of b and anti-b quarks. Where b stand for bottom/beauty. It is in the heavy family of quarks. Since matter today consists of only the light family of quarks, these b mesons existed at one time shortly after the Big Bang. Today we are able to recreate them with particle colliders. Billions of these are created but they are are unstable and short-lived and decay rapidly into other particles.

As Cara alluded to CP violation is expected to be more prominent in the decay of b mesons. The violation of CP symmetry enables physicists to make an absolute distinction between matter and antimatter which may help us to determine why the universe is made chiefly of matter. Hopefully the observed imbalance may have been produced by the occurrence of CP violation in the first seconds after the big bang. Experiments have been created to specfically detect these b mesons and study their decay rates. The largest is the LHCb experiment at CERN. It involves over 500 people.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Hadron, for explaining me the essence - I am tracking results which appear from the experiments with LHC regularly. I consider this as general knowledge since I had pretty broad education regarding science stuff - of course, this is not enough to understand more than a scratch of surface but - at least I can put a question.

When I was a kid, my favourite book was from Arthur C. Clarke where he described the mystery of explosion in Siberia at the beginning of 20th century.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Hadron,

I hope Run 2 went well bringing all anticipated results and exceeding expectations.

I always was amused with the story how the word “quark” was assigned to that type of particles.  James Joyce with his writing was so far away from physics. But some physicists do like a good literature.

It is hard to believe that very serious scientists J chose such untypical words for quarks classification: up and down, strange and charm, bottom/beauty and  truth (pity that the last twos are almost not in use) –  the beauty factories with color charge …. Sounds like a poem.

While talking about quarks… Do the scientists have any criteria to decide that they have reached the most fundamental layer of matter?

Is it possible to find the smallest bit of matter theoretically considering that from the mathematical point of view any object can be divided endlessly. Even if we are able to find something that fits the Plank length criterion perfectly how can we make sure that there is nothing else beyond our understanding and measuring ability….?

Why are we still looking for the smallest point-like particles when there are quite developed ideas of superstrings, time-space foam, singularity….

Sometimes I feel that we are doomed – what if none of these concepts can be proven to be an infinite density.  Agnosticism?

• HearPeers Heroes

Just to let everyone know, I went to the Grand Canyon, South Rim, two days ago. We went for a long walk, which is no mean feat using a walker. It was an awesome trek, but so windy I kept holding on to my Rondo for fear that it would become part of the Canyon!

• HearPeers Heroes

So, Sandy, there is an improvement not only in hearing! Better in all directions. Glad for you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy,

That must've been scary. The thought of your beloved Rondo plummeting down the canyon.....yikes. Maybe think about getting the headband or an ear gears line and clip to use in times like that. Glad it was safe.

• HearPeers Heroes

The quark is a pretty funny name. Professor Gell-mann is an interesting character like his late Cal Tech colleague Richard Fenyman. His book "The Quark and the Jaguar" is a good read.

Yes the quark names seem out of place to most people. The names were created by the discovers whom went on to win Nobel prizes for their find.

There are 6 quarks.

The up and down quarks got their names from their isospin space.

In the isotopic spin space according to the charge the one on top was called the up and the one on bottom, the down.

The strange quark got their name because of their unusually long decay rate as compared to all other particles.

The charm quark got their name because of the symmetry they brought to the family of quarks.

The top and bottom quarks got their name because the founder wanted to continue the relationship found with the up and down quarks in the isospin state where according to the charge the one on top was called the up and the one on bottom, the down.

Currently the smallest forms of matter as defined in the Standard Model of Particle physics are The 6 quarks and the 6 leptons.

Our current theories and experiments don't see any indication that there are smaller forms of matter. However, there are many questions that the Standard Model doesn't address so new particles can be discovered.

For example, neutrinos have been shown to have mass, and most matter in the universe is in the form of dark matter. We don't know what dark matter is, apart from knowing it's not made of protons and electrons.

Super strings, singularity, cosmic foam are all theoretical so they have not been observed. Lengths below the Planck length cannot be measured by any known procedure or device.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, do you use any tether or hair, shirt clip in case that happens?

• HearPeers Heroes

That's one thing I like about the BTE. It is much harder for it to come off

• HearPeers Heroes

Today was a good day. We sat in the sun and although I didn't swim my usual 40 laps, it was a good swim and exercise routine. Arizona has been fun, restful and sensational to explore but I am looking forward to going home next week to see family and friends (even though there is a prediction of 15-20 cm of snow called for on the day we arrive)

• HearPeers Heroes

Lengths below the Planck length cannot be measured by any known procedure or device.

Thank you Hadron for very interesting answer that makes me think about many things.  

I understand that the Plank Length cannot be measured by any known procedure or device (so far, at least). And, at the present moment, the scientists take it as an axiom. This, along with the uncertainty principle, makes us think that certainty (which is synonym of the absolute for me) is not something attainable. It is hard to accept that we will need to stop soon :)

Considering the magnitude of the Plank Length and the size of the smallest quarks or even neutrino there is still some room for even smaller particles to be found. But what is the reason to get it? What will it give us if we find another "piccolotron" or "shmark"? 

If look at the finding of new particle more abstract - all particles have some function(s) which means they have structure. Any structure means divisibility. It doesn't matter if we can observe/measure it or not. it is endless and then again unattainable - we will never reach the end...

Confusing, a little bit hopeless, but thrilling. Why do scientists looking for more particles? If they have some criteria when to stop?

It is why I like Quantum physics - Particle physics looks for the absolute, but Quantum physics is based on relativity, not certainty :)....so, perhaps, this is our way to advance beyond limiting axioms like it happens with Euclidian and non-Euclidian geometry.

Oh, and thanks for telling me about "The Quark and the Jaguar" - the title sounds just right for me to read that book.

• HearPeers Heroes

Would like to tell all of you something funny and silly but have no one smart thought in my head... Happy Fool day!

• HearPeers Heroes

Happy April Fool's Day to you too Cara. However I don't believe that you don't have one smart thought in your head! Smile.