The chatty forum

Kara of Canada

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I have had it. They make some good beer. You just have to be careful as the alcahol content is higher

Yes, it struck me - I didn't read the etiquette and felt it pretty easily, but then I quit immediately and drink a water or take something to eat.

• HearPeers Heroes

O, Adam, I am sorry that I missed your special day. But I believe, it is still not too late to wish you to have a great year ahead of you with all important things getting better and better.

• HearPeers Heroes

It is never too late - a focus is at care...;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, I'd say that goes for everybody! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, that was smart. It can really sneak up on you if your not careful

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, that was smart. It can really sneak up on you if your not careful

:D  :D  ;)  :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Too funny!! Lol

• HearPeers Heroes

Dear Hadron, I am almost ready to start asking you a "serious questions" about GWs and something like that. I think about it each day. Just hard to overcome the constant stir and turn my face to eternity :) But if to be not so eloquent, it is hard to  formulate my thoughts. Ok, for the beginning, could you tell me, please, what an application the physicists use to make such beautiful "inscriptions"

[/url]">http://cad9f9ba-9c7f-48e2-9651-37ddf740d826_zps 

And another my question - is it possible to say anything about the properties of GWs? What difference and similarities do they have compare to other types of waves? Of course, just something crucial...

And if you feel that I need to read "a chapter two in a school textbook", just point it to me, please. I will be grateful for your for advice. I will find it and read it... and then will ask you more questions :D  ​

• HearPeers Heroes

How exciting! We are back to learning new stuff. I love it. After all, we can not talk about ears all of the time. Smile. I promise to read all these posts even though I do not understand a lot of it. I love to learn new things. If there is a primer website, just direct me there. I have a lot to learn.

• HearPeers Heroes

At this point, we can definitely say that we are not an ordinary forum! :D :D

• HearPeers Heroes

I think that our forum is not an ordinary one because we keep close the the main topic  very well (with some minor exceptions :)

By the way, we could expand our scoop of interests to many topics that are related to hearing restoration and development one or another way - for example, why not to pretend to be the music critics to discuss the possible contribution of different singers to our rehab process (from Paul Robeson to Donna Summer, or Ozzy compare to Bee Gees, and Justin Bieber :o ).

Or, let's pretend to be the movie critics to pick the best  titles for the specific part of the rehab. For the recent days I added two more titles on my list of completely sick and twisted movies - lost two nights for my rehab :)

But if seriously, it is good to have a ready-to-use list of movies / shows without background music, or with a lot of music / singing characters and so on....

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

Check out TedTalks online or podcasts like TedRadio podcast, Vinyl Cafe, Fresh Air, Top 50 Jazz.

Audiobooks- whatever interests you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank for info, I added some of these to my things-to-check list.

But actually I mentioned about some artists to discuss  as an example because that singers have so different voices that can be good to use in a specific period of rehab when we have the special goals to acheive - from the low voices with a simple accompaniment at the beginning of the training (Paul Robeson, Louie Armstrong) to something for advanced CI trainees (Bee Gees - very high pitched sharp sounding).

Mentioned Justin Bieber just for teasing :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank for info, I added some of these to my things-to-check list.

But actually I mentioned about some artists to discuss  as an example because that singers have so different voices that can be good to use in a specific period of rehab when we have the special goals to acheive - from the low voices with a simple accompaniment at the beginning of the training (Paul Robeson, Louie Armstrong) to something for advanced CI trainees (Bee Gees - very high pitched sharp sounding).

Mentioned Justin Bieber just for teasing :)

Cara... Know what - this is an excellent proposal...:)   I understand your intention - maybe to add a fragment of my perspective, on this way we could help other users while they start to struggle with music apprehension or even speech recognition. Some people actually give up too quickly when they do not pick it up quickly enough... 

I guess this would be a good guide on the CI path - not everybody is prone toward the idea of experimenting. :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

You may want to start a new topic under aural rehab for the music ideas. This way people will find the info.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, not sure I am ready to start a topic on aural rehab - I need some time to get more experience with my training and then some time to organize my experience. But I will be glad to tell something in the topic started by Ivana.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hadron, how do you feel about the endless jokes about Schrodinger's cat? Sorry for more questions :)

If seriously, I am afraid that I burden you with my questions. So, fell free to skip it if so.

I don't mind to have the status of my questions in a state of quantum superposition till answered or denied

Sounds flattering! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara,

Glad to see you are doing well. Apologize for not replying promptly. I have been 100 meters underground in Geneva (cold and rainy) for Run 2.

Keep the questions coming. I am glad others are also interested.

1. Mathematical Typesetting

LaTex is used for production of technical and scientific documentation. MacTex and proText are applications you can install.

Markdown and mathjax are popular for typsetting for documents on the web.

2. Similarities and differences between electromagnetic (EM) and gravitational waves (GW)

Both waves travel at the speed of light and have energy and momentum.

GW are generated by the the motion of large masses, and their wavelengths are much longer than the objects themselves. Electromagnetic waves are generated by small movements of charge pairs within objects, and have wavelengths much smaller than the objects themselves.

GW are weakly interacting, making them difficult to detect; at the same time, they can travel unhindered through intervening matter of any density or composition. Electromagnetic waves are strongly interacting with normal matter, making them easy to detect; but they are readily absorbed or scattered by intervening matter. For electromagnetic waves, spacetime is the background medium in which the waves travel, while for gravitational waves, spacetime itself constitutes the waves.

By the time gravitational waves reach Earth, they’re as large as a billionth the diameter of an atom. So they are very difficult to detect. Once the Evolved Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (eLISA) spaced based GW detector is operational gravitational waves will be detected in space so should be larger in size.

3. Gravitational Waves resources

Popular books:

Einstein’s Unfinished Symphony: Listening to the Sounds of Space-Time. Marcia Bartusiak, (Joseph Henry Press, December 15, 2000, 266 pp.)

Very readable book of the history and physics of gravitational waves which is well written.

https://student.societyforscience.org/article/how-catch-gravity-wave

Her comments on gravitational wave detection. Jan 2016.

Gravity's shadow: The Search for Gravitational Waves. Harry Collins, xxiv+ 870 pp. University of. Chicago Press, 2004

The complete history of GW up to 2004. Great book.

Textbooks:

Most General Relativity (GR) textbooks will have a chapter on Gravity Waves. Usually the simplest case with a plane wave is described.

A General Relativity Workbook (Thomas A. Moore, 2013)

Professor Moore's book is a recent book that is used by undergraduates which takes an approach like Hartle's where the physics of GR is discussed before the mathematics. Has a couple chapters on GW.

Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity. By James B. Hartle. 656 p., Addison-Wesley and Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco, 2003

Professor Hartle's Introduction to GR book was the first GR book written for an undergraduate audience and it presents the physics of GR before presenting the mathematical machinery. So if you reviewed its contents in order you would be prepared for the chapter on GW.

I actually used Hartle's book as an undergraduate and recommend it.

I have not reviewed Moore's book but have heard it is quite good.

There are GW textbooks but they go beyond what is in the chapters of the GR books. Such as Maggiore's two part volume.

Gravitational Waves: Volume 1: Theory and Experiments by Michele Maggiore Oxford University Press (2007)

• HearPeers Heroes

By the way I like the Schrodinger cat joke about being caught speeding

• HearPeers Heroes

Hadron, thank you for your answers!

Tomorrow morning will try to play with mathematical typesetting applications.

Actually, you were very prompt but I was impatient and did worry that it can be too time consuming for you to be distracted by that alphabetical conversation. I know it can be not easy to communicate the very complicated topics concisely and clearly without using very special scientific terms. Sorry, that I am not ready to ask you any “real” questions that would be interesting for you to discuss. But you know it is not only my fault – you have got so ahead of many of us in this topic. :)

Of course I have more questions like what determines the amplitude of GWs, if the correlation between GW wavelength and frequency is the same as it is for EM waves, what are the relationships between GWs and field(s) they create..... some questions about the factors that contribute to GWs scattering and attenuation. Yes, it is interesting to know how GWs die (not sure if they do but hard to believe that we discover a perpetuum mobile).

But I think that first I need to read the books you listed for me and then ask you something that is not in that book. And I'm going to ask you something about the event when that two back holes' mischief was detected. I hope it is not in the books yet, so I have a reason to ask for more of your attention :rolleyes:

About eLISA - Is NASA a part of that project again? I hope after detecting GWs all world agencies have an interest in subsidizing that direction of research.

And tell me, please, (if it is not too personal for you to answer) - do you have any image/concept of 4D reality in your mind or it is still a complete abstraction for you, too? How your CI neighbors with all that "apparatus" stuffed in the belly of CERN?

• HearPeers Heroes

By the way, what was it about speeding Schrodinger cat? Is it about when Schrodinger, Heisenberg, and Ohm were stopped by policemen and, oh course, Ohm resisted the arrest.

What I cannot understand is why people are so excited with this concept that is about 80 years old....

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, not sure I am ready to start a topic on aural rehab - I need some time to get more experience with my training and then some time to organize my experience. But I will be glad to tell something in the topic started by Ivana.

But - why not? For instance as a kind of diary - this worked out, for that I need some time...

Also, I would invite our more experienced users to think about this subject. Music appreciation, presently, is the hot topic in the cochlear implantation subject. It is recognized as better way of (re)habilitation but also giving better speech inteligibility.

• HearPeers Heroes

By the way, what was it about speeding Schrodinger cat? Is it about when Schrodinger, Heisenberg, and Ohm were stopped by policemen and, oh course, Ohm resisted the arrest.

What I cannot understand is why people are so excited with this concept that is about 80 years old....

We are living in the retro world - look around Cara ;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

We are living in the retro world - look around Cara ;):)

Yes, looks like all new is well forgotten old.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, looks like all new is well forgotten old.

Yeah - hope we didn't forget to invent stuff. :(

But, taking into account last 50 years - we didn't move much; not even close as Isaac Asimov thought. :(

I remember last year when I desperately wish to try Maglev train in Beijing how I returned to my childhood when I was reading my First children encyclopaedia - there it was... A rush of excitement and my father who used to point me into direction of finding solutions. He was my first Google :)

• Like 2