My Journey

Ms_D

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes this in network out of network stuff can drive you crazy. Fortunately for me I live 5 hours away from New York City where there is an awesome CI center, New York Eye & Ear, that is in network. Although far away, it is worth every trip down there to be able to work with such a great team.

I'm glad your center ended up being in network but sorry you had to go through all of that frustration.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth

What a blessing to have such a center. Fortunately I have the same awesome team where I go.

• HearPeers Heroes

I did have some trouble regarding my new insurance.  The clinic that I have been a patient at told me they were not in network with my new insurance.  The insurance company verified this as well as my work's benefits representative.  Since I will need mapping, my husband and I have been spending this entire month trying to find an in-network doctor.  The majority of them that are Med-El clinics are not in network.  Those who are in network do not have the equipment to do mappings.  We were considering doctors about 3 hours or so away.  Then, the new audiologist at the clinic that I have been a patient at told us (after we called and asked if they would be willing to go in network under the clinical gap rule) that they are in network.  We were confused.  The audiologist told us that she don't know why someone at the clinic would say that the clinic is not in network.  At least I am able to stick with the clinic I have been a patient at. :-)  My next appointment is on the one year anniversary of Activation Day - February 12th. :-)

Oh, for God sake...  :blink:

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes this in network out of network stuff can drive you crazy. Fortunately for me I live 5 hours away from New York City where there is an awesome CI center, New York Eye & Ear, that is in network. Although far away, it is worth every trip down there to be able to work with such a great team.

I'm glad your center ended up being in network but sorry you had to go through all of that frustration.

Sometimes there are many advantages to go at places which are crossroads of all kind of problems.

My mapping is not done by audiologists but we resolve every problem I find at the road :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So my husband called my doctor's office today to set up the appointment to do the last of the hearing tests and follow up with my doctor before they send the paperwork to the insurance company to see if the insurance company will approve of the implant for my left ear.  My doctor's office is going to see if they can find a way to get my doctor in network so that I can have her do the surgery (if the insurance company approves of the surgery); otherwise, I will be looking for a new doctor.   My appointment is April 14th.  So it looks like I will soon be at that last step prior to waiting (possibly for quite  some months) for the insurance company to decide. :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck Donna. The surgeon who performed my first CI changed practices (across town) and the new practice was not in network with my insurance. I selected a different surgeon for my second CI who was in network and it went great as well. This insurance stuff is frustrating but don't let it get you down. Fingers crossed for a quick answer.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck Donna! I am also waiting for an appointment for my surgeon to tell me when he will do the surgery for my left ear also!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck, Donna and you too Kara. The waiting is the hard part. Kara, when I had my CI done, it had to be before March 31 as that is when funding for the fiscal year ended through the government and new funding started. I was told that each hospital was allotted a certain number of CIs per year, so you might get lucky and have it done soon!

• HearPeers Heroes

That would be cool!! Yes your right each hospital gets funding for 100 people or surgeries per year. So we shall see. I do have an appointment with the surgeon as a follow up for the CT Scan for checking bone formation after surgery. On the 23. So you never know!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Luckily we don't have those restrictions here. If you qualify and have insurance squared away, you get one.

• HearPeers Heroes

You right there. But it's why we pay taxes to get our health care taken care of. It's not perfect but I can't complain. My first son is alive because of it. He was born very early. At 25 weeks. The hospital bill would have been over a million dollars if we didn't have what we have. He is perfectly heathy now. He will turn 16 this year.

• HearPeers Heroes

We are all fortunate to live in countries with great health care systems. Every system has its benefits and disadvantages. Fortunately we are able to receive CIs. There are many places where CIs are not yet available. My hope is for that to change quickly,

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree Marybeth. This seems to be changing at a much faster rate these days. With the science to back it up plus results of thousands who have received implants already, I believe the door will continue to swing open wider and wider for those still waiting

Thanks ya'll.  Yes, I admit the insurance stuff is frustrating, but I am thankful I have insurance (for several reasons - including not having to be penalize for not having insurance...besides, having insurance helps lower the cost of medical bills :-) ).  We shall see though how it will go.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Huh... Science could be persuasive but - money runs the world. Coming from the country which is not part of top countries of developed world, I can testify that: if there is not money in the state budget - no science can change that fact. :(

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't notice a drop in volume or understanding. One minute, I am going about my business, the next it starts beeping

• HearPeers Heroes

I've noticed a drop in volume with mine. Not extremely noticeable but I sometimes have to strain to hear a conversation or I miss part of it. Again, will bring this up with my audiologist. It was very apparent on the drive to Arizona.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think I may have a slight drop in volume but it's so slight it's hard to tell. But once the beep starts then I know for sure.

• HearPeers Heroes

If I am in a conversation right before the battery beep starts, I do notice a slight drop in volume. It is very close in time to when the low battery beep will begin. If I am not actively listening at the moment, I don't notice the slight drop in environmental sounds.

• HearPeers Heroes

I start having understanding difficulties hours before my BB starts to beep in order that I feel how certain frequencies are not sharp as thez should be, for instance it starts with high frequencies but this I have reminded long time ago - on my hearing aid.

However, I am not always conscious that - it starts happening.

• HearPeers Heroes

True- I think of it like this. If after I change the batteries, everything sounds better, then the sound was compromised before the beeps started. If after I change the batteries everything sounds exactly the same, then sound was not compromised before the beeps started.

• HearPeers Heroes

But... I usually heavily drain my batteries - there is not much of living juice in them...  :lol:

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep, I wear them until my processor shuts off. I want to get as much out of each pair of batteries that I can.