My Journey

Ms_D

Hello all!  It's been awhile, but in between getting settled in and staying busy at work, I haven't had the opportunity to really stop in.  I was not able to go for a 3 month mapping, but I will go for my 6 month mapping in January.  I think I am improving - I can hear on my cell phone quite well.  In fact, I rarely need my husband to assist me with hearing on the phone - even when I am talking with someone with a foreign accent!  I say that is an improvement indeed! We have also been so busy that we have not practice as much, but we are trying to get back in the habit of practicing daily!  I have noticed that it appears my left ear has become my dominant ear again (as they had predicted).  When I only have my right processor on, it don't seem like I am hearing as well on that side as I was before I had my left ear implanted.  I am determine to practice to improve my hearing on both sides!  I am doing sooo much better than I ever done with hearing aids - I truly believe this.  I would be sitting at my desk at work, and I could hear (and recognize) a printer that is a distance away from me printing.  I can hear, and understand, someone talking on the other side of the room...even when they are talking at normal level.  Today, while at Walmart, we were walking across the parking lot to go into Walmart, and the ringing of those Salvation Army bells was annoying to me - before the cochlear implants, I would have not heard those bells until I am right close to them, but I was quite a distance away from them and heard them. :-)  The appointment I have in January will be my first appointment with my new audiologist.  Hope everyone is doing well!

• HearPeers Heroes

I am glad things are going well for you and you have settled into your new home and job,  keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Donna,

That's great results! You should be proud of all your accomplishments.

Perhaps, this year was not very easy for you. But the next one should bring all that you need for being happy and relaxed!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been staying busy, but try to at the very least stop in every now and then to see what's everyone is up to and welcome newbies. :-)  I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.  I went for my six months mapping (and since my two year mark from right ear being activated is next month, I just had them do the annual check up regarding that side too).  I say the visit went AMAZING!  I was able to repeat back almost every single word - just a few that they whispered too low.  When it came to the sentences: for the first time ever....I got every single sentence! :-)  They then challenged me by adding low background noises...I got I think either all of them or just about all of them.  They increased with each round of sentences, and I still got at least some of the sentences - up until the volume level of the background noises matched that of the sentences - I didn't get any of those.  They told me that I am hearing well. :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Th is great news! Keep up the good work and keep enjoying life! 

• HearPeers Heroes

That is so awesome! You must be very excited having had such good results. Please keep us up to date on how things progress

• 3 weeks later...

Every time I make a phone call, I am beyond in awe at just how well I can hear on the phone!  It's becoming more and more "natural" - I don't even have to try.  Before my implants, I'm telling you I had already accepted the fact that I would never be able to hear well on the phone for the rest of my life.  After the implants - WOW!  It's amazing!  Being able to listen to the radio, being able to hear things clear.  Sorry, I just had to post this update because even at work I am hearing on the phone (okay, it's speaker phone we were using, but still).  For anyone who is considering the cochlear implant but unsure, from my experience, it is a very rewarding journey!