My Journey

Ms_D

• HearPeers Heroes

Great news!!

I was surprised how much lighter the Sonnet felt. Strange that 1 less battery can make such a difference

Thanks.  I have heard from a co-worker that our insurance tend to make decision fast - from her experience, but all her pre-approval stuff was for nothing major.  We shall see how long the insurance takes to make their decisions.

It appears I have several possible things to look forward to in the coming months - awaiting decision on the implant that may result in being implanted in the left ear, and I will find out within the coming month whether or not my work will hire me for a new position I applied for that will lead to me to relocate and gain new experience.  

The audiologist did tell me that since my left ear has always been my hearing ear (until I started not wearing my hearing aid), if I am implanted in that ear, she believes my left ear will probably become my dominate ear again.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

This means only good news from now up to ... :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like 2016 is going to be a great year for you!

Thanks; I like to think so...but not getting my hopes up!  2015 was a great year for me - not sure it can be beat - I started 2015 off getting my implant, then at the end of that month, got a new car, then my boyfriend of 4 years proposed to me on April 9th, and we got married on May 3rd (yeah, I realized I haven't updated my last name on here).  So 2015 was an awesome year for me - and it's looking like 2016 will be another good year for me....but like I said, not getting my hopes up too high. :-)  We shall see as time goes by all the blessings God will shower me with this year. :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Nothing wrong with having two awesome years in a row!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Why limit it to 2, Marybeth? :D

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Donna

Quick comment on an earlier post of yours about HA's

The one thing I hated about the ha's is that they would raise the volume of everything. Not much help when it came to distinguishing speech. Sure I can hear a beep in the soundbooths but couldn't make out speech. And this was before I went deaf

• HearPeers Heroes

Donna

Quick comment on an earlier post of yours about HA's

The one thing I hated about the ha's is that they would raise the volume of everything. Not much help when it came to distinguishing speech. Sure I can hear a beep in the soundbooths but couldn't make out speech. And this was before I went deaf

Yeah - that is what I would also underline: HAs amplify everything.... 

• HearPeers Heroes

When the ha is not doing much for you in the way of hearing it makes more of a buzzing noise as it amplifies the sounds still audible. Hate the stupid thing. Wish I was bilateral. Only a small vent. Moving forward!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara,

It's like carrying around your own private noise maker now, right?

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara, can you just use the CI and retire the hearing aid? I find that I do quite well just with the CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well I want to keep my other ear stimulated. They say it helps with better chances for rehab. Yes it can be a noise maker.

True, nothing wrong with having multiple good years. :-)  Regarding the hearing aid, unfortunately, that's true.  I now only wear it when I am exercising.  I just find that I rather go with only my processor since I just cannot understand a lot with the hearing aid.  

• HearPeers Heroes

That's a common progression Donna.

• HearPeers Heroes

Remember if your being implanted in the ear you wear an ha it is good to keep the ear stimulated. That's the only reason I still use mine.

Kara, that does make sense.  When I exercise I do wear it.  I guess I do need to be wearing it more to keep it stimulated.  I just love how I can be practicing all the time when I am not wearing my hearing aid and relying completely on my processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

Before I made the decision to go and see the implant team the dr told me keep it stimulated. Then I heard my mother in law what have you got to lose? So that when I made the decision to make the appointment. It took 1 1/2 years to go through all the prerequisites and getting a date set and surgery!!! I haven't looked back since!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!!!  Guess what!  The insurance company received the request on 4/21, and they approved it within four days!!!  I just received the letter from the insurance company today!  I have been approved for the second implant! :-D  Now just have to schedule the date with my doctor!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

This is great news!! Keep us posted when you get a date!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm so happy for you Donna! That's great news.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good news Donna. Definitely happy dance time!

• Like 2