My Journey

Ms_D

Thank you!  Yeah, I was saying "Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness" and then got up out of my chair and went to show my husband the letter.  I have been happy and excited and bouncing around most of the night. :-)  I've been getting a lot of fb notifications, and my phone was going crazy with all the texts I was receiving as I spread the wonderful news!  I'm sure next week we will be talking with the doctor's office to schedule the surgery. :-)  On top of that, next week is our first year wedding anniversary.  :-)  

The insurance company put the dates that the approval is effective as 6/1 to 9/1 of this year.  So it could be as early as June (if the doctor have a slot open in June) when I will undergo the surgery. We shall see.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey everyone!!!  Guess what!  The insurance company received the request on 4/21, and they approved it within four days!!!  I just received the letter from the insurance company today!  I have been approved for the second implant! :-D  Now just have to schedule the date with my doctor!

Whooaaaaaouuu....!  :o  :o  :D  :D

Excellent news Donna - this was so fast that Superman will be endangered with your speed! :ph34r:  :lol:  :lol:  

• Like 2

Whooaaaaaouuu....!  :o  :o  :D  :D

Excellent news Donna - this was so fast that Superman will be endangered with your speed! :ph34r:  :lol:  :lol:

LOL, Ivana, I was definitely surprise about how fast they made their decision!  I was expecting it to take at least a month.  Back when I was awaiting word from the insurance company for the first implant (different insurance company than what I have now), it took I think about 1.5 months for them to make their decisions.  I have to say, Cigna surprised me.  Thanks Ivana.

• Like 1

Thank you Kara.  It's a blessing.  Oh how I can't wait for the surgery and the next chapter of this wonderful journey!!

• HearPeers Heroes

LOL, Ivana, I was definitely surprise about how fast they made their decision!  I was expecting it to take at least a month.  Back when I was awaiting word from the insurance company for the first implant (different insurance company than what I have now), it took I think about 1.5 months for them to make their decisions.  I have to say, Cigna surprised me.  Thanks Ivana.

It was definitely not too long even before but taking into account that it is 2nd implant and - 4 days, I can not be positively surprised with their speed. :) 

I am also tracking scene of the bone-conduction implant: they have so many unimaginable obstacles although their results are far more predictable. I have testified numerous negative response in this community that I am surprised not just with different approach than speed also. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Any plans for you to go bilateral?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Any plans for you to go bilateral?

I wouldn't wait even second, but ... as usually, life happens - in my country bone-conduction implants are not covered - not for a 1% by the national health-care insurance company which make these devices twice more expensive than in the U.S.; furthermore, we can not deduct our health-care costs of our taxes and - my personal professional story is a quite complicated story: my working contract is not permanent so I can not get a bank-credit neither finance it out of my pocket... 

It's a perfect puzzle...

But... Now I know how patients with single-sided deafness function. Or does not. I have totally lost my holo-location ability, have problem with "cocktail party effect"... Before that went through the process of neuroplasticity and increasing my ability to hear and understand further than I ever could... Perfect dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde story...;)

I guess I could never be bored with myself! :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sorry that it is so complicated to go bilateral for so many people in all different countries, for all of these implantable systems- even in the US for people who are 65 or older. The right to hear the best possible, should not be dependent on health insurance rules. It's frustrating for many people.

I'm sure you have researched any open clinical trial that you may be eligible to participate in. Some people have been able to get implanted through such studies.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

It is sad that the uninformed few have the responsibility to decide who goes bilateral and who doesn't. I wonder how they would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I truly agree. I wish health care was about treating the person not the symptoms.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sorry that it is so complicated to go bilateral for so many people in all different countries, for all of these implantable systems- even in the US for people who are 65 or older. The right to hear the best possible, should not be dependent on health insurance rules. It's frustrating for many people.

I'm sure you have researched any open clinical trial that you may be eligible to participate in. Some people have been able to get implanted through such studies.

Well... unfortunately, it is very complicated - not just that health insurance company does not support it, implants are twice more expensive in smaller countries than in the big one. Fortunately, Med-EL is here righteous because their prices are same everywhere - that's what I know for the European market (at least for the market of EU).

I am not familiar with any open clinical trial in Europe (for the U.S. there are info on the main site) right now. It's not so easy to get in a trial because EU is still consisted of national countries which have separate health-care insurance policies and even if I participate in a trial in another country my insurance wouldn't cover the expenses of the operation because they claim that the operation is possible to be made in Croatia (which is true) but you can not get implant in another country because same surgeon has to implant if the trial will be established at scientific basis. 

Round-around ... Everything connected and disconnected... :(  :rolleyes:

• HearPeers Heroes

It is sad that the uninformed few have the responsibility to decide who goes bilateral and who doesn't. I wonder how they would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

You know how... They find the way to fix the situation for them - but we have an extreme situation here: we can not get even unilateral implant.... Really sad story...

So I scheduled the surgery yesterday.  My implant surgery is for June 8th.  I am hoping my doctor will allow me to return to work after the first week since I don't have much pto stored up and we really cannot afford for me to not get paid for one week.  Maybe she will let me, but with restrictions.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow that's getting closer! I'm excited for you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Great news! Just in one month! I hope your doc will allow you to return to work as you feel you are ready for that. And I wish you to feel good in a short time after the surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

Keep rolling further... Holding my thumbs that everything will be OK after surgery so you can, really, return like you planned, although it is not fair that person can not take a rest after the operation - this really helps after. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Great news. The time will fly by.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is great news Donna!! Keep us posted!!

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks from today is surgery day!  I had my pre-op this past Friday.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah! The countdown begins.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great news!! Good luck and keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Keeping our fingers crossed while waiting news...:)

I wonder if my dr would okay me traveling five hours by car a couple of days after my surgery (I won't be driving).  My husband called to asked today, now we are just waiting if she will approve.