My Journey

Ms_D

• HearPeers Heroes

That must be captured on a video! That is too funny!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been so busy getting ready for the move that I haven't had time to post!  I have 15 days left until my last day at work at my current office, then moving the next day, and starting my new job a few days later.  We have been busy packing.  We finally found a place to live. :-)

Update on my journey: well, the "feedback/squealing" has decreased considerably!  I think my brain and ear is getting used to the new left ear implant.  I have been able to hear and recite the words back to my husband even when moving around and putting things in boxes.  I say I'm doing well so far. I go for my one month mapping session on the 18th.  That will be my final appointment with my current doctor's office.  My doctor who did the surgery wants to check on my healing process again on the 18th since when I went for Activation Day, I had still experience pain.  The pain has decreased and I only feel small pain just every now and then.  I think as time goes by the pain will go away completely. :-)

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent Donna - keep up with your good work and progress. ;)

Thanks both of you!  :) It's hard to have time practice sometimes with all that we have going on, but we are trying.  :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow! Busy! Best of luck with the move.

So I went for my 1st month mapping on Thursday.  My audiologist said that really I am at the point where I am only needing one program for my left ear (as I only have one program for the right), but she put added programs anyway just in case.  She even said that if I am unable to make my 3 month mapping session (she knows that we are soon to be moving and it might be hard to make the appointment so soon after starting my new job) that it would not hurt me - it would not hinder my improvements.  She don't encourage missing the mapping, but she was just assuring me that if I can't make it, don't fret about it because I am doing well right now.

We are down to less than a week until Moving Day.  We have had a lot going on with all the packing and everything, but we are trying to practice as much as possible. We could be in separate rooms working on boxing things up, and I can actually hear the words my husband is saying.  I'm so amazed by it all.  I can listen to songs, and understand the lyrics (I had lost my joy for music a long time ago because the music itself made it difficult to hear what is being sung).  

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like you are making great progress. Keep up the good work!! Good luck with the new job

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great Donna! :P

Can you find another audiologist - at the place where you will live further?

• HearPeers Heroes

Medel and her current Audi should be able to assist her locate somebody close by. Luckily, most audis are very familiar with Medel. If not, they, Medel, can always send a rep to assist. 

Thanks everyone!  After we move, the closest Med-El clinic is 2.5 hours away (which is further than what we currently have to drive).  My audiologist tried to find someone closer, but she couldn't find anyone else closer than that. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry it is such a long drive. Make sure you take very detailed notes in between mappings. This way you can maximize your time and have all the info you need to get a pretty thorough map

• HearPeers Heroes

I drive 5 hours to get to my CI audiologist.  She is worth the drive.  We tend to drive in on Sunday, have my appointment Monday morning and return home.  I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

I drive 5 hours to get to my CI audiologist.  She is worth the drive.  We tend to drive in on Sunday, have my appointment Monday morning and return home.  I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

My clinical engineer is 350 km away. Approximately, 3 hours drive away - I usually sleep over in Wien so if I remind that something can be improved, we correct it tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

So we have successfully moved last Friday.  It has been a busy, busy time - and we still haven't unpacked many boxes.  I have not had much time to practice, but I hope I will get back to practicing today.  I have heard great things about one audiologist (from my current audiologist) who is 2.5 hours away.  I think I am going to go with her. :-)

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck settling in and getting established with another audiologist.  Good luck in your new job.

• HearPeers Heroes

New beginning... Smell of fresh and new start always seduce our minds... ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ms_D

i feel your pain.  We moved a few weeks ago. Pain the neck but glad it's over. Just a few boxes left but deciding where to store stuff. This apartment is much smaller

Our apartment is bigger than our last one; however, we do not plan on unpacking everything since we are planning on buying our first home within a year.  We are just unpacking the things we need and a little bit to have a little "homey" feel to the place.  We are thankful that the actual move is over but we will be moving next year (not to another state...just moving outside the city limit because it is so expensive in the city - even living in an apartment!).  Hopefully I will get back to practicing soon.  I have found that, as with the Opus 2, the Sonnet hurts behind my ears to wear.  I am wearing the Sonnet to get my left ear (the most recently implanted ear) can get practice with the Sonnet.  I definitely prefer my Rondo over the Opus 2 and Sonnet (though the Sonnet has its benefit).

• Like 1

On 9/5/2016 at 5:04 PM, Ivana Marinac said:

New beginning... Smell of fresh and new start always seduce our minds... ;)

Ivana,

For sure.

• Like 1