Bilateral again

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, the coil finally came in the mail yesterday. I am back to hearing in stereo. Amazing how quickly you forget the benefit of bilateral CI's until you don't have one of the processors.

• HearPeers Heroes

I dred the day I have to go without two processors or for me a HA and a CI

• HearPeers Heroes

So Back to " hearing" eh? That's a nice feeling.

• HearPeers Heroes

I still had the left processor. The map was set up with both processors in mind so I did struggle in certain situations. Glad to hear in stereo again yes.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara

It will be interesting to follow your journey. Many of us have found that our hearing aid in the other ear, ceases to be very effective after our brains start processing the amazing CI signals. Of course, there are people who are happily bimodal also. It will be interesting to see what your experience is down the road.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

When I had one CI, I thought there was no way it could get any better than that. I was loving life. For some people, they can be totally content to have one and hear Amazingly well. For me it was a no brainer to go for the 2nd. For others, not such an easy decision. Different strokes for different folks.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes. I hate only having one ear going. My hearing in my left ear was at 6% on my last hearing test. In 2014. It is deteriorating so it won't last long. I mailed my appeal letter today so we shall see.

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to see you are back to hearing in stereo Adam.

Kara, good luck with your appeal. I will be interested to hear the results.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Kara, good luck on your appeal. Please let us know how things turn out. Will send prayers your way.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks guys! I pray that theses idiots meaning the government get a brain!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck with them getting a brain... They just need to say YES

• HearPeers Heroes

Whoops I let that one slip!! Yes a yes would be nice!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, folks... Finance is the main obstacle - I know there are numerous cost comparison studies whether a patient would cost more as if he or she use hearing aid+batteries or hearing implant. Maybe this can help?

Regarding the subject, I've never felt what it's like to have bilateral hearing but I can find myself in your words Adam - thought it can't be better... Somehow I imagine - it can...:)

Once...

• HearPeers Heroes

I think it comes down to what you do with what you have. A person who makes the most out of one implant could potentially have more enjoyable and richer hearing than the person who has 2 CIs but does nothing with them.

A lot of that falls on attitude of the patient. If they have a positive attitude and hope, they will be more likely to do the work to get the most out of the implant. If you have two but expect them just to magically make you here perfectly and don't bother to take the time to do what you need to to improve, you might almost be worse off being angry that you went through surgeries and you expectations were not met.

Not sure if what I am saying is making any sense, I could be totally off base

• HearPeers Heroes

They have done studies on hospital patients ( not necessarily CI patients) and the ones that seems to bounce back quicker or live a little longer were those that had a positive attitude and hope about their particular situation. Just thought that was an interesting tidbit.

That doesn't mean that it was all roses and bunnies as I'm sure each person had moments of doubt and struggling, they just didn't stay there long. Having had as many surgeries as I have had, I have been there for sure.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah I am with you there. It's totally about perspective. It is what you make it.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with both of you, Adam and Kara. Like Adam, I've been through numerous surgeries from the age of 2 and a positive attitude is what kept me going.

• HearPeers Heroes

You I've had many too. Well not as many as Adam but close to 20 maybe for all different things. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that it will be over soon and life gets back to normal quickly. I try not to dwel on it too much although that an be hard when the pain is bad.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm totally fine with it. Almost funny now. My neurosurgeon told me it was an art and science. Obviously rule out they typical, then start looking outside the box. This is why it tends to drag on with me. There have been more times than I can count where I told them my shunt wasn't working but they went by the numbers which said it was. It wasn't until they went into do surgery at my insistence that they found it really wasn't working. My NS listens to me and will ask me. Problem is at a teaching hospital you have to go through a bunch of residence first. They are by the book. Still learning to trust the patients instincts

• HearPeers Heroes

Not sure if what I am saying is making any sense.

Good to see the old Adam is back.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been here, Mr. World Traveler.

Would love for you to stop in when you can.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm totally fine with it. Almost funny now. My neurosurgeon told me it was an art and science. Obviously rule out they typical, then start looking outside the box. This is why it tends to drag on with me. There have been more times than I can count where I told them my shunt wasn't working but they went by the numbers which said it was. It wasn't until they went into do surgery at my insistence that they found it really wasn't working. My NS listens to me and will ask me. Problem is at a teaching hospital you have to go through a bunch of residence first. They are by the book. Still learning to trust the patients instincts

This is why we love our job so much! There is lots of stuff which you pick from various fields and than you are - playing game, resolving a puzzle...! ;):)

But, being on both sides - I took each one of my surgeries as something ordinary plus some benefits, for instance after last time I lost almost all forehead wrinkles...:D :D

• Like 1