Med-El wants to know our preferences for future audio processors

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Please complete the survey!

edited:  to access Med-El’s survey, click on  SURVEY for USER PREFERENCES below and then click on their survey link

@Joan

@diana

@Mary Jo Strickland

@Betsy

@tmscarlett10

@Kylie

@Andrew42

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Prof Mo

@Jdashiell

@Ralph34

@RRG

@Lauren

• HearPeers Heroes

All day batteries like in Rondo3 

two microphones 

Apple iPhone compatibility both for audio adjustment and audio direct to the  processors. For music and streaming audio from movies, audio books, etc. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

exactly the types of things listed in their survey.  It is quick and easy.  Please complete it so Med-El has your input.

• HearPeers Heroes

I don’t see a link to do survey 

• HearPeers Heroes

Found it

thanks.  completed the survey.  they didn't have any questions about 'are you comfortable with the price'.  'do you use or have 2 devices'. etc...

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Prof Mo

it seems they are interested in our ranking of the features they included in the survey.  I am pleased that Med-El is asking for our input.

Several of the included items are trade offs.  for example

preferences for streaming/phone require more power which may lead to a larger size

preferences for small processor size may lead to shorter battery life and less features

It would be interesting to see the ranking results.

Yes.  the tradeoffs.  Hey Medel.  Here is my polite comment to the survey:   We want it all.  Figure it out.  

Completed. I found the format of the questionnaire interesting. I only hope they are asking our input to confirm steps they are already taking. If this is the start of a process then Medel has been ignoring comments coming their way for quite a long time: I somehow doubt that. My wish is that they ditch Audiolink and Audio2Ear completely in their current from. Making streaming of all things smart phone and tablet automatic without third party intervention and for TV do what Cochlear does, or similar, and use something like the Resound base which accepts optical as well as analog input.  Oh yes, and of course, get the battery life up close to 24 hours. My on-going daily analysis is showing that current battery life for the Rondo 3 is not as long as they state and is badly affected by running Audiolink and Audio2Ear. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

I have had Med-El CIs for 7 years.  In that time there have been several examples of how Med-El listens to user feedback and makes changes.

-The original design of the Sonnet required us to remove a tiny pin every time we changed the mic covers.  It was problematic for many.  Med-El introduced a revised mic cover for Sonnet that no longer requires pin removal

-The original cable options for Sonnet limited the shortest cable choice to a length that was too long for some.  Med-El introduced a shorter cable length option which is much more comfortable.

There are other example too over my short 7 years.  So in my opinion Med-El has always been listening to user feedback.

This formal survey design is a ranking system.  It results in a ranked list of preferences.  If a lot of Med-El users participate in the survey, it can be interesting.  

I am thankful Med-El is asking for user preferences this way and I am encouraging all Med-El CI users to participate.

I also encourage everyone to share their feedback with Med-El at any time.  We are all in this together and we need Med-El, just like they need us.

• Like 3

Thank you, Mary Beth. As you know, I am new to this programme, so I have none of your experience with how frequently Med-El issues updates. Reading this forum on a regular basis leaves me with the strong impression that "all is not well in the state of Rome". There are clearly issues with Rondo 3 that Med-El needs to correct. I just hope the process is incremental and that they don't wait two to three years before bringing out improvements.

I want to see the results, lol. I am so glad they did this survey, the questions are reflective of the floods of input medel has heard, and now ranking it. I dont think there exists enough resources for medel to work on all requests at once and they need to 1) compete in market and 2) make scientific gains in the product 3) support current volumes of existing product.

I love my ci, cant wait for more!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

That was clearly a professionally designed questionnaire!  I was grateful to be able to learn about some of the research that MedEl is working on when I went there to be a test subject.  I have had my CIs for four years now, and saw the improvements from one generation to the next, and am sure that each successive release of devices will have additional improvements.  MedEl and its team are very invested in how to make their products work well for us.

The ranking system in the survey is a bit weird. When is every feature in the questionnaire countered by "reliability" some of the pairings don't even make any sense, such as: 

Reliability (e.g. robustness against sweat, dust, moisture, mechanical (cable) breakages)
Better coil connector & stronger/more robust coil cables
Both are about reliability. 

Surely some features can be implemented without making the processors the-most-fragile-things-ever? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

I agree that reliability did not belong in that survey.  We chose Med-El for the quality and reliability they offer.  That is assumed as ongoing and paramount.  The other items are preferences for battery life, connectivity, etc.

Oh well, I filled it anyway, the rest of the pairings made much more sense. Something I wish for is a software update that'd allow changing mixing mode for the AudioStream, because as it is, it's fairly useless when the background noise is heavy. I have to set the volume to max to be able to hear anything over the background, which is not ideal. 

Built-in BT in future processor would be really nice too, but I think that's almost certain to come, as Sonnet 2 already has built in BT chip and the latest version of BT, 5.2 does allow audio streaming in the low energy protocol. So it's just a matter of updated hardware in the successor.

As for reliability, in 1.5 year I've not had any issues related to durability. I hope it stays that way!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

The best work around I have found for me with AudioStream to dampen out as much environmental sound as possible while I wait for a Med-El mixing option of 100/0 for AudioStream is…

I had my CI audiologist set a special program which has sensitivity set to 0% AND also extends the volume to a quieter lowest level (for me it is 70%).  Then when I use AudioStream I move into that program and increase the volume on my phone while decreasing the volume as much as possible on my Sonnet.  It does not cancel out all environmental sounds but they are much much much quieter.

Not opposed to more features in a smaller body.  Nowadays everything tiny so one day maybe the BTE processor will be as small as a HA with BT and all that.  Wished the app offered better controls over things as well.

• 3 weeks later...