Greetings!

Enegra

I've browsed this forum on and off without registering, but I figured that I might as well introduce myself!

I've had profound hearing loss since birth and did the leap of faith onto the CI train a couple of years ago. I have bilateral Synchrony implants - first side September 2020, second August 2020 with Sonnet 2 processors. Unfortunately I've had some complications along the way, some quite severe, so the ride has been rather rocky for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

welcome to HearPeers.  I am sorry to read that your CI journey has been rocky.  We are a friendly group.  Feel free to ask questions and share your journey if you wish.

Thanks for the welcome, Mary Beth!

It was not so much of a journey rather than trying not to crash the raft on the rock. Long story short, for over a year I had rather disappointing results, the clarity was better than with HAs, but still not quite giving me high speech comprehension. Turns out it was a mapping problem, which was not helped by the impedances randomly changing twice, resulting in the map being almost turned upside down. The second time it happened though was a blessing in disguise, because I had the head doctor come and look at my map (I figured that at this points others had given up trying to fix it). From that point it was a 180 turn, I can actually talk with masked people and general conversations are not much of an issue anymore.

The second surgery damaged my facial nerve and it still hasn't recovered yet. I had a revision surgery to address this, because the nerve was originally getting pinched by the implant, it alleviated most of the pain, but a lot damage has been done, mostly due to the pandemic nearly shutting down the hospital. I had to wait two months for that revision on very heavy medication. Now I am still stuck on medication to mostly suppress debilitating migraines  - the kinds that come with bad vertigo, throwing up and phantom sounds (different than tinnitus), but at least it affects me a bit less. Still, my Master's studies are currently on halt because of this,  and it's not easy to cope with all of this.

Hopefully I can engage in some MEd-El specific talks in here. I am a member of a Discord community for CI recipients, but I am drowning in a sea of yellow brand users there, haha! So it's nice to meet more from the "team red". A while ago I saw a thread about using AudioStream with a computer, it made me find out another workaround with Steam Link (and it's free!), so it's been productive already!

@Enegra

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation we  on HP are a great group of support we have monthly chats

I’m bilateral I had my first implant 2016 and second in2018 I have the sonnet processors

Again welcome 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

You have had a difficult experience! I am sorry about that.

Tell us about your stream link work around with AudioStream and the computer.  That sounds interesting!

• 3 weeks later...