How long until more natural sounds? If ever

WarrantyVoided_Left

My left side was activated in December of 2023.  At my last check up in April of 2024 my audiologist said the results of my hearing test show that I am doing extremely well understanding spoken word and seems to feel my implant is another success story.  While I can understand what is said the sound quality is not great and my audiologist was surprised that things don't sound "normal".  It is frustrating that she thinks I should be hearing things normally when from what I am understanding I will probably never have my "normal" hearing back.  The best way to describe voices is that everyone sounds like they are talking through a CB radio, or it sounds like the crappy quality of a drive through speaker.  Another way I can describe it is that everyone's voice quality sounds like they are Allister the Radio Demon from the show Hazbin Hotel.  I'm wondering if I need to get used to it and over time it will not sound that way or is it something that my audiologist needs to reprogram.

So my big question to all the other SSD people out there is did you get to the point where things sound "normal" again or are sounds distorted (ex: everything sounds like it is broadcasted through a low quality speaker)?

• Members

As an SSD, about 1.5 years after activation, the hearing on my CI side blends together so well when I'm wearing it, I often touch my CI processor to prove to myself it is on and working.  It helps and I don't notice the difference in quality between the two "ears" because of the brain's amazing neuroplasticity.

On other hand, when I stream directly to only the CI, the audio quality is very inferior to my good ear. I tend to describe it as either an AM radio station with bad reception or a restaurant drive though window speaker system.  Good enough that I can do many podcasts or audiobooks directly streamed for rehab purposes but unable to reliably use it for bluetooth phone calls unless the person on the other end has clear enunciation and no background noise.  Only about 10% of my old CDs/songs are "tolerable" or "enjoyable" when strearmed directly.  On the other hand they all sound perfect when done over the air or on headphones when it blends with my good ear.

I expect that it will continue to slowly get better but never be "normal".  When I hit my 70s or 80s though, my CI side will probably be better than my current good ear.  This will probably be more due to my good ear getting worse than my CI getting "better."

My experience and progress is likely "typical" neither exceptionally fast nor slow.

Frankly, I am glad that I had the surgery done and am satisfied with the performance that I get from the CI, particularly given that it will continue to slowly get better.

Hi @Tim!

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I guess I am doing ok then.  I stream a lot straight to my processor because I am trying to train my brain to understand the input so I often listen to the same TV show multiple times or familiar songs.  I also have phone conversations with people too straight to my processor.  I'll probably have to get used to everything sounding distorted then.  Maybe it will improve with time.

• Members

Great.  It sounds like you are doing phone conversations better than I am.  I can do it in certain situations but it is so hard that I usually just go ahead and switch to phone or speakerphone. 

I enjoy music with my CI  and my good hearing ear working together.

I wonder if anyone with SSD (normal hearing in good ear) can possibly have a true "match" when BT streaming independently between the CI and the good ear.  The CI processor has a limited frequency range  (70-8500 Hz) so by definition it can't match the range of music with CDs being about 20-20,000 Hz. 

The non-SSD  users have a different comparison as they are not constantly reminded of what it should really sound like.