Why I Didn't Get My Second CI

Joel

Wanting to share this story ... with no particular questions to ask ...

Prior to my first CI, a year and a half ago, my testing indicated I was at a level for BOTH EARS where I was a CI medicare approved candidate.

Last week, I went back to get tested for preparation for the second CI in my right hearing aid ear.

The test results showed:

1. My current left ear CI is performing at a 50% level, which is apparently the average vs last year, prior to the CI, that left ear was (CNC Words) 36%. So, it jumped up with the CI.  (36:50)

2. My average for both ears (bilateral) prior to surgery last year, tested at 52% vs last week's results bimodal, it's 76%.  (52:76)

2. Here's the kicker: Last year my right hearing aid ear was (CNC Words) tested at 32% vs for last week's prep, 60%. My hearing in my right hearing aid ear jumped up almost 25%!!! (32:60)

3. That 60% number is the cutoff for medicare approved CIs - which means it still would have been approved. 

In discussion with the surgeon, we decided not to do the CI in the right hearing aid ear, simply because it was tested at 60% and they felt having the CI would decrease my current hearing level in that 60% ear.

While the good news is I don't need surgery, it was mind blowing to see the huge positive fluctuation in my right ear. I questioned it thoroughly to see if it was a fluke -as the testing was intensive - UNC, Chapel Hill, NC.  Their best explanation is that hearing can fluctuate, regardless of the type or strength of the hearing aid or even without one. 

And that's my story. Nothing to ask. Just wanting to share.

Joel

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting @Joel

thanks for sharing

@Joel  

This is a great news, Joel.

In February, I scored 40% in CNC Words with my left ear using a hearing aid, and 0% with my right ear.

In April, my right ear was activated, and four months later, I scored 60% in CNC Words with both my hearing aid and cochlear implant working together, and my response time was faster.   My left ear remained about the same.   

After extensive discussions with my audiologist and surgeon, they recommended that I would greatly benefit from getting a second cochlear implant as soon as possible.   I will be activated tomorrow.

I wonder what would happen if I waited. However, I decided to listen to the professionals. Additionally, as my hearing in my left ear continues to decline, using a hearing aid will become less effective.  Therefore, getting a cochlear implant later on might not be as good as getting it now.

Always not bad to avoid major surgery if possible.  I do believe the cutoff is 60% to qualify nowadays so you’d need to technically be at 59% or below.  It’s still a good chunk of hearing.  Grats avoiding the knife!