Starkey Med-El Bimodal Alliance

willheim1114

Does anyone know when the Starkey/Med-El Bimodal streaming solution be available? Or anything about it? Are there peripherals you use for it? I have a Rondo 3, will I need to buy the audiostream (bluetooth) adaptor to use the new product? Is it already available?

Any information on it would be appreciated. There are current press releases about it everywhere. It was a major announcement at the conference in Vancouver BCIt is "in development", but nary a mention of when available.

Here is a link to one such release:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20240710055501/en/MED-EL-and-Starkey-Announce-Collaboration-to-Develop-New-Bluetooth-Experience

Would appreciate any information known!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@willheim1114

Those preliminary announcements are the only things I have seen so far.

Mary Beth,

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply. You are a genuine benefit to so many people on the forum.

W

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Mary Beth,

Following up. Spent another day and then some trying to get the stereo link to my Macbook Pro M1 Max running  OS Sequoia 15.1 going and failed. I am using the (electrocoil) Artone for loop for now.  Remarkable device.

My AudioStream adaptor is at the ready and for now I will forgo any spatial location/panning modules.

My final take away if this: The onus is on Apple.  This issue has existed for so long that all the big three manufacturers are colluding with one select HA brand to solve the problem. Which is unfortunate, but a focus of all companies of late: Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc. Vertical integration for increasing revenue is a focus of the companies, rather than creative evolution. Programming OS's to make it difficult to use third party devices is an emphasis in the programming. I have been making my living with Apple computers since 1986 or so, not long after they ran the infamous 1984 commercial during the Super Bowl. The focus and creative spirit of the evolution developers is gone, replaced with a focus on profitability.

All IMHO.

I do not think it will not be long before a solution arrives. 

A tethered work-around is too clumsy for me in my work and chill-time environment.

One thing to point out. Bidirectional functionality for a phone is critical. 

But for streaming movies it is not necessary (for me.) My directional Widex Evoke is seen on my MBP immediately.

Point: It doesn't have to be bi-directional to link. Depends on your personal needs. 

My Oticon Mores are bi-directional but I went back to the Widex because they sound better with the Med-El Rondo 3 in my case.

Cheers,

Will

Edited by willheim1114
Reduce some of my endless & unnecessary prattling.