Surgeons,Drs. And some audis

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara

In response to a comment you made on tims post seeking musicians. You mentioned surgeons and egos. I have seen the best and worst Egos and bedside manner over the years.

I think in a way you do have to have an "ego" or high level of confidence in your ability. If you don't, that could affect your ability to do your job well as especially in surgery, you cannot doubt yourself. My surgeon is amazing. He listens to me, has great bedside manner as he does not treat me like he knows all and I know nothing. We have made a great team over the years as he has operated on me a number of times, not just for the CIs. He respects my opinion and does factor that in. If I bring up a certain point, he does not feel the need to have to respond to show that he is smarter or has more education than I do as sometimes I can bring up points that he hasn't thought of, or I give him a different way to look at something. He also isn't afraid to say, I don't know but will find out.

I have come across other Drs where this is not the case. Some need to learn to listen and not always respond. I guess this comes with experience over the years. I can say right now I am lucky as all the Drs. I deal with and my audiologist definitely have the team mentality and value my opinion

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly. At the hospital where I go for my CI I had a resident for the initial part of the follow up after surgery( this is a classic example) I couldn't understand what he was saying so he stopped talking to me and only talked to my mother. I was a bit shocked. I even stood beside him to try to understand him. The surgeon came in for the rest of the follow up he came right over to me and asked how I was doing. He is the head of the implant team (surgeon-wise) and anytime he needed to speak to me he would face me and speak to my face. Slowly and kindly. Although he was teaching two; a resident, and a student during my visit, he is an amazing Doctor!! So I have had both types for sure. Once back when I had my first seizure 7 years ago I went to the hospital the next day the doctor said it was peripheral vertigo. Go home and take gravol!!

• HearPeers Heroes

:unsure:  :unsure:   Should I walk away or - jump in the mud?  :P  :P  :P

You're talking about classic human characteristics - I would state that you don't actually have to have a big ego to be successful and respected doctor.

Now I am talking from the patient perspective. For years, I also have met various types of people in "white coats" and tried to soak up different personalities. Also, during my time in the medical school I can assure you that there is no formal education how to deal with patients. Everything actually resumes at individual personality as well as personality of educator's personality. There are amazing people, there are those at the totally opposite side ... Some are really nasty and rude, and some just don't perceive themselves from different perspective... 

I would propose you attitude to warn them - don't hesitate: health-care is very overwhelming service and this I would like to accent - SERVICE. Those who can not perceive that their job is to serve in order to heal people - are not deserving their position no matter how smart they are. So many times, I had opportunity to reach a diagnosis only by talking with people, listening so my "bulb" switch on. 

Also, I have written in the other post that surgeons pretty often thinks about themselves just as mechanics but forgetting that their job is also tuning of machines not just taking out parts - people are not plug&play toys.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Definitely jump in the mud! Smile.

It was my comment about music and a surgeon's comments about music that unfortunately led us this way.

I have been fortunate to have amazing CI surgeons (2 different surgeons- 1 for my right ear and 1 for my left ear- because my first surgeon relocated). I have a dynamite CI audiologist who has been a lifeline for me during this entire process.

Just as surgeons and audiologists have individual personalities and styles, so do we as patients. I believe it's important to find a team that works well for you. When you find that team, you are lucky indeed.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Having an ego or at least a lot of self confidence I think is needed in the medical field to some degree.

Here in the U.S. Or at least at the university hospital I go to, all residents are required to take a course on Bedside manner. I was asked to go and speak to the residents there.

• HearPeers Heroes

I didn't make it there though. While in the middle of trying to arrange the engagement, the person overseeing it left MUSC for another hospital. We never got the ball rolling again

• HearPeers Heroes

What do you mean mate? Have you not had a good experience with doctors and the like in your lifetime?

• HearPeers Heroes

Having an ego or at least a lot of self confidence I think is needed in the medical field to some degree.

Here in the U.S. Or at least at the university hospital I go to, all residents are required to take a course on Bedside manner. I was asked to go and speak to the residents there.

Mmm... Adam, just looking at the dictionary: egoistic means being centered in or preoccupied with oneself and the gratification of one's desire.

I hope I will never have this type of surgeon.

• HearPeers Heroes

On the other side, self-confidence is must-have but you have to know the exact moment when you should stop. An Egoist person can not do that. That's why an egoist surgeon can be dangerous - if doesn't know when help is needed, a devastating consequences can occured.

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Ivana you got it right in the button!!

• HearPeers Heroes

What do you mean mate? Have you not had a good experience with doctors and the like in your lifetime?

30+ years working in health mate - I've seen the extremes and still see the bad behaviour unfortunately.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree Matt. I have seen the best and worst in bedside manner. It takes a lot more than just book knowledge. Maybe ego isn't a good descriptor but do have to have a great deal of confidence. That being said, a certain amount of empathy is needed. It is all in the delivery. I have been given bad news in a very cold and uncaring manner and I have been given bad news by somebody who really cares and is concerned for the patient.

• HearPeers Heroes

For sure. I agree with you there needs to be empathy in bed side manner. I have witnessed that one with good and bad!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Right Adam - how can you show empathy if you are self-centered?

Pardon me, but as Matt said - I have also seen a full spectrum of individuals. I have seen them in other environment than it's hospital - they were same.

• HearPeers Heroes

I stated in my last post that ego was maybe no a good description.

• HearPeers Heroes

I stated in my last post that ego was maybe no a good description.

Yes you did - that's why I am not following you with ego anymore.