Pros and cons of bilateral CI recipients

Kara of Canada

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi guys I am again looking to go bilateral. I am still in the process of appealing. I want to send a new letter and need as much info as possible to really shock these guys into allowing me to be implanted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, pardon me if I have forgotten - people who decide whether will give you bilateral options are doctors, right?

Then I would propose you to raise their awareness in the direction of cost effectiveness rather than explaining them scientific background which they actually know.

It's different within countries which don't need enough financial resources to give people 2nd implant.

For instance, some studies which will show potential benefits so you could even better and more effectively function in your society.  B)  B)

• HearPeers Heroes

Well I was going for trying to convince them why I am an important candidate. Thy only get funding for 100 people a year at the hospital where I go. So I need to convince them why I should

Be bilateral. I am young and have a long life to live. Verses a person who is 60 or older. It would increase my quality of life as well. I have sent a letter stating those facts already I need to make a statement.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara,

I do hope you get to be bilateral. I think that CIs benefit people of all ages though. I am glad I am not in a position where I need to determine which people deserve to have CIs or a second CI. I believe everyone deserves to hear the best that they can.

I hope your appeal works. I think you will like being bilateral.

• HearPeers Heroes

It feels like a dream!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, we'll all keep our fingers crossed for your success.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana, Adam and Mary Beth!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara,

I had certain amount of time today at work so I have found some articles which can serve your appeal. Unfortunately I do not have access, but hopefully abstracts are useful.

1. This is an article from great group of authors, very well-known in the world of implants. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15547426

2. These numbers are actually pretty significant:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25582430

3. Sound localization in interfering noise at different signal-to-noise ratios (SNRs):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22588270

4. Cost-effective meta analysis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19799825

Hope this can help at least for a bit. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana. I appreciate all that you can do.

• HearPeers Heroes

We also don't have bilateral users so I can't give you more practical guide what to do... :mellow:

• HearPeers Heroes

That's ok. I still appreciate your help!

• HearPeers Heroes

Those are great articles!! Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you - tried to find those which can be representative for various subjects within the CI topic. Hopefully, it'll work...:)