Rehab Question

Andrew42

I am a seeker of information. My Rondo 3 was activated 181 days ago. My rehab progress has been steady, unspectacular and non-linear. I am still not doing well with music. I have an HA in my other ear. About a week ago my sensations became noticeably different. In some ways my hearing/understanding improved and in some ways the reverse. It seems as though I have too much base and not enough treble. Before I rush off and try and get an appointment with the audiologists where I was implanted I thought I would ask you forum members if you can advise me on the following:-

1.       During the first months of rehab does the brain make sudden adjustments as though it has just worked something out; with this adjustment making the current mapping less suitable?

2.       Is it possible for a processor to “lose” its mapping and revert to some other state? I.E. what I am experiencing is a corrupted map.

3.       Has anyone had similar experiences and how did you handle them?

Thank you for your help.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

My recommendation is to change your Rondo 3 cover (even if you have recently changed it) to see if that normalizes sounds.  When my mic covers need to be changed it is the high frequency sounds that drop out.

If that does not fix the issue, I would schedule an appt for a new MAP.  Unless you feel the processor needs to be replaced.

There were many changes for me in my journey but the fast changes were during the early months.  

4 hours ago, Andrew42 said:

I am a seeker of information. My Rondo 3 was activated 181 days ago. My rehab progress has been steady, unspectacular and non-linear. I am still not doing well with music. I have an HA in my other ear. About a week ago my sensations became noticeably different. In some ways my hearing/understanding improved and in some ways the reverse. It seems as though I have too much base and not enough treble. Before I rush off and try and get an appointment with the audiologists where I was implanted I thought I would ask you forum members if you can advise me on the following:-

1.       During the first months of rehab does the brain make sudden adjustments as though it has just worked something out; with this adjustment making the current mapping less suitable?

2.       Is it possible for a processor to “lose” its mapping and revert to some other state? I.E. what I am experiencing is a corrupted map.

3.       Has anyone had similar experiences and how did you handle them?

Thank you for your help.

Hi andrew, sometimes i feel the same way. I will grab fine tuner or use phone app and check maps for differences. My current maps are no ai, ai medium, ai medium 8 percent louder, and map 4 is ai high. This is all i know for sure oh and sensitivity is 75% fixed on all. So my only adjustments are volume.

So im in my 9th month. Sometimes i wish i had more adjustments, but knowing me i would screw it all up and forget what i adjusted lol.

Sometimes i wish that if i could fine tune myself all would be perfect, as the days and experiences go by i feel like my brain is making adjustments on its own,  sometimes not quick enough, sometimes i dont know when it happened. I still dont have a hearing aid, i have a ways to go in saving the funds....

I am not a patient person so when i hear " it takes time" i get pissed off but at least i can hear the words, so i take a breath, and go listen some more lol.

I hope your ci gets adjusted or fixed for you. I think the better we get, the more we recognise what we want..does that make sense?