Is this actually legal? - ebay shopping

Ivana Marinac

• HearPeers Heroes

I was quite shocked when I have searched today totally different thing (batteries actually) and then I stumbled at this: a brand new cochlear implant put on the public auction at the E-Bay website!   :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cochlear-Nucleus-CI422-With-Slim-Straight-Electrode-/121828892426?hash=item1c5d915f0a:g:4w4AAOSwbdpWbhpa

They do, however, stated that they will only sell to the certified source like ENT or hospitals, audiologists - I can't quite imagine that someone would buy stuff like this from this kind of source?!  :o  :huh:  :rolleyes:

I have put this here solely for the purpose of discussion.  B)

• HearPeers Heroes

This is news to me. It might have something to do with cochlear phasing out one or two of their implants declaring them obsolete. I will try and find the press statement from cochlear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Maybe this has something to do with it. Honestly, I don't know

Cochlear Freedom, BP100, notice of obsolescence:

January 4, 2016

Dear Cochlear Clinician,

Our promise of “Hear now. And always” means we strive to bring your patients improved sound processor technology and services designed to help them hear the moments that matter most.

The Cochlear™ Nucleus® Freedom™ Sound Processor has been available since 2005, and the Cochlear Baha® BP100 has been available since 2009. In the time since these were introduced, advancements in sound processor technology have led to improved reliability and hearing outcomes. This means that both the Freedom and BP100 Sound Processors are reaching their end of life; hence we begin the obsolescence process. Please make note of the following milestones:

End of Sale – Effective immediately, the Nucleus Freedom and Baha BP100 Sound Processors and associated service plans (extended warranties) are no longer available for purchase.

Aftermarket components and accessories such as coil/cables and battery doors will remain available, contingent upon supply levels, until December 31, 2016. Warranties for new products purchased will end on December 31, 2016.

Repair Services – Cochlear will continue to repair the sound processors through December 31, 2016. If a patient’s warranty or service plan runs past this date, they will be instructed to contact Recipient Support at 1-800-483-3123.

End of Life – The Nucleus Freedom Sound Processor and Baha BP100 will no longer be supported after December 31, 2016. This means that if a sound processor stops working, Cochlear cannot repair it. Or if a patient loses a part or accessory, it cannot be replaced.

Please encourage your patients to activate their FREE Cochlear Family membership by visiting www.Cochlear.com/US/Family to view their current equipment and warranty status.

Upgrade Options - Users of the Nucleus Freedom and Baha BP100 Sound Processors for whom we have up-to-date contact information will receive direct communication from Cochlear encouraging them to schedule an appointment to discuss the benefits of the Nucleus 6 and Baha 5 Sound Processors.

Learn more about our latest upgrade options at www.Cochlear.com/US or contact Cochlear’s Reimbursement & Insurance Services at reimbursement@cochlear.com or 1-800-633-4667, option 2.

Warmest regards,

Cochlear Americas

© Cochlear Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Hear now And always and other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of Cochlear Limited or Cochlear Bone Anchored Solutions AB. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

COCHLEAR Americas

North American Headquarters

13059 East Peakview Avenue

Centennial, CO 80111

www.cochlear.com

• HearPeers Heroes

So bottom line once the processor can no longer be repaired or there are no longer parts for it, the recipient has no choice but to replace it. I hope this company has something affordable in place for its recipients. It will be interesting to see how insurance companies handle this. Or in my country, the provincial government.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is news to me. It might have something to do with cochlear phasing out one or two of their implants declaring them obsolete. I will try and find the press statement from cochlear.

Well...Forgive me my friend - but where did you see it's Freedom? Regarding the type of electrode it is still on the market: http://tinyurl.com/pjgwdz9- definitely puzzled  :huh: 

But even bigger problem is how E-bay let these products on their site - I remember time when you couldn't even buy a hearing aid.  :blink: 

• HearPeers Heroes

So bottom line once the processor can no longer be repaired or there are no longer parts for it, the recipient has no choice but to replace it. I hope this company has something affordable in place for its recipients. It will be interesting to see how insurance companies handle this. Or in my country, the provincial government.

Well Sandy, country of selling is definitely interesting - Honduras. On the other side, the implantation period has expired in May of past year!  :blink:

• HearPeers Heroes

Well this sounds fishy to me. Sounds like. A farse. I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't supported by its company.

• HearPeers Heroes

As it turns out, this kind of stuff is on EBay a lot. Who knew.

What I posted was a press release directly from Cochlear. There are a number of people that are upset as it doesn't give people a lot of time to figure out if they want to upgrade.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well Ivana if the implant is backwards compatible, you can discontinue a processor but still use the implant. Kind of like upgrading from opus 2 to Sonnet. I still have the same Sonora implant and electrode array.

It discusses the freedom starting in 2nd paragraph

• HearPeers Heroes

As it turns out, this kind of stuff is on EBay a lot. Who knew.

What I posted was a press release directly from Cochlear. There are a number of people that are upset as it doesn't give people a lot of time to figure out if they want to upgrade.

Yes but I can not connect this specific package with the fact that it is Freedom outer unit - how do you know? I am just curious? And you know that curiosity killed the cat  :P

• HearPeers Heroes

Wellll I am going by the press release that Cochlear Americas themselves sent out to all clinicians.

This was sent by a person and friend that is well known in the CI and hearing aid industry and triple checks anything he receives before sending.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam - I guess we don't understand each other, I am asking you how do you know that a device in the advertisement which I have posted is Freedom? :huh:

Or you have posted an announcement which relates this topic solely because it's a Cochlear's device?  ^_^

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Cochlear had a Nucleus 22 implant which you posted a link to the different electrode arrays. They also have a nucleus freedom processor.

The Freedom processor has been deemed obsolete (via the press release from CA) for reasons I won't go into here. It has been discontinued. The implant Nucleus 22 was not mentioned or the electrode arrays in the note to clinicians. .

I have to assume that they are still available.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok - so I understood it well: the advertise did not mention Freedom processor. Processors are parts which changes a lot faster than change of electrodes happen.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep, I don't recall the stats on their latest implant but I think it has more room to add than the processor can handle.

• 1 year later...

My daughter has the N24 implant and upgraded to the Freedom processor a few years ago. We can't afford to spend $400 on $3 rechargeable batteries and $200 on $5 coils, so we've been scavenging parts on ebay for the last few years. The latest kick was Cochlear corp making the Freedom processor obsolete. The newer processors don't seem to offer much advantage for hearing, just new bluetooth accessories and remote controls we don't need. My mission is to keep the Freedom processor working as long as possible to delay spending another $6000 on the next one. I've bought batteries/coils and even an entire Freedom processor on Ebay. I just bought the processor a few weeks ago and it was programmed for an N22 implant. I went to a local audiologist and had my daughter's program transferred to it and it works fine for her N24 antenna. The worst part is the antenna coil that fails after 6-12 months. Those are going to be very difficult to get going forward...

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sorry you have to go through that struggle. It's got to be frustrating for you. Do you mind me asking how old your daughter is?

do you live in the U.S.?

the reason I ask is that if you do, depending on what state you live in, You can try Vocational Rehab. The cox rehab in my town helped me upgrade to the next processor after I accidentally damaged one of my processors beyond repair in a work accident

My daughter is 17 now. She was implanted at 15 months. We currently live in west central Florida. Now that I've got a spare processor and a couple of coils, we're good for a while. I'm going to be looking for more coils since they fail on a regular basis.

• HearPeers Heroes

Touch base with your local voc. Rehab. They might be able to assist you. If this will possibly prevent her from getting or keeping a particular job, they will look into trying to help. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Not to stray too off topic, but Med-El makes future processors backwards compatible to older internal implants.  That is a huge plus for us going forward.  I have friends who have been implanted for 15+ years and they are able to use the new Sonnet processor with their older internal implants.  That is so reassuring.

There are actually more things to consider when processors are obsolete.  At some point, the software that our audiologists use will no longer work with those processors.  I have heard that is true in the US for the old Med-El Tempo processors.  So people with those processors can no longer get MAPs changed.  I met one user of a Tempo processor last year.  This is not very common in the US, because people tend to move to new processors every 5 years or so.  A benefit to users of a processor being labeled as obsolete, is that it can not be repaired or replaced after a certain date.  This means that insurance companies may then approve a newer processor because there is no option of repairing or replacing the present processor.

CI processor technology is advancing quite quickly.  Being able to move to newer processors every 5 years or so, depending on insurance, allows us to take advantage of these new features.

I do not know the legality of selling medical equipment on eBay that was purchased by insurance companies.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, honestly I'm really not sure how you can sell them. That being said, I'm sure there is no way if a person had the actual implant itself they would be able to sell it. Then again, what are you gonna do with it? ?

Hearing aids are donated all the time. I personally don't see how you could get away with selling a processor though. I guess stranger things have happened.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I am not much familiar with Cochlear's models, but I would say that Nucleus 5 and 6, after all are updated models regarding tech details.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk