Newly activated in March, April, May or summer of 2022

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Let’s start a topic for our newly activated HearPeers members so they can get to know each other a bit.  I will tag a few.  Add yourself and jump right in if you are newly activated too.

Activation month

Processor using

How things are going so far

HI Everyone Mark Mahoney I had my surgery May 27th, its been horrible tinnitus all day today much worse that before surgery.  Seems to get worse if I stand, but when laying down it's much better.  Seems like I've read that others had increased Tinnitus after surgery but for many it seems to go away...  I would love hear (pun intended) more about your stories.

Hi mark, welcome to hp! 

Wow im sorry you are having xtra tinnitus today, i had tinnitus before implant, it was like i was in a giant birdcage! I had a little after surgery but its totally gone now.

I felt "head heavy" and tired after surg for first couple days, truly napped quite a bit. It was hard to stand and walk much, but by 3rd day i could get upstairs to my bedroom ( slept in easy chair and sister has a mechanical bed first two nights) 

The implanted ear was so plugged -like,  i felt slightly off kilter, but most effects gone after a week. After activation i was so excited to listen to everything i could, and rehabbing, i dont recall any tinnitus even in the unimplanted ear!

I am hoping your tinnitus eases up too!!

• Like 2

Hi everyone! 
I had my implant surgery on May 16th. Synchrony with 28mm electrode. Activation scheduled for June 20th where I will receive Sonnet2 and Rondo3 processors. I will be bimodal. Been wearing bilateral Phonak HA for the last 10 years due to progressive sensorineural hearing loss. 

I’ve lived with tinnitus for the last 10 years or so as well. It’s rarely bothersome as I’ve gotten used to it. It’s worse when I’m not wearing my HA. My tinnitus has worsened a bit since surgery but mostly only when I change positions (like getting up in the morning after laying down all night). 

Now at two weeks post surgery, most of my post op symptoms have resolved. I experienced about 8hrs of vertigo immediately after surgery, then dizzy with movements, then a bit woozy. This got better each day. My vestibular symptoms are now fully resolved. My surgical site is only mildly sore and the inner ear discomfort and pressure went from constant to intermittent to now only when I’m exerting myself a bit. I’ve also had a slightly sore throat on the left side which I think is possibly from some drainage? I get migraines so I anticipated having a certain reactions to the surgery, such as neck and jaw tension/discomfort on the implanted side which also triggered a few migraines for me. This too seems to be almost resolved. Lastly, I’m experiencing numbness on the backside of my ear and on the left side of my tongue. 

I have a post op CT and appointment with my surgeon on June 2nd. I will post again after activation day!

Heather

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing all these newly implanted and newly or soon to be activated HP members the very best!  Looking forward to following your journeys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heather W said:

Hi everyone! 
I had my implant surgery on May 16th. Synchrony with 28mm electrode. Activation scheduled for June 20th where I will receive Sonnet2 and Rondo3 processors. I will be bimodal. Been wearing bilateral Phonak HA for the last 10 years due to progressive sensorineural hearing loss. 

I’ve lived with tinnitus for the last 10 years or so as well. It’s rarely bothersome as I’ve gotten used to it. It’s worse when I’m not wearing my HA. My tinnitus has worsened a bit since surgery but mostly only when I change positions (like getting up in the morning after laying down all night). 

Now at two weeks post surgery, most of my post op symptoms have resolved. I experienced about 8hrs of vertigo immediately after surgery, then dizzy with movements, then a bit woozy. This got better each day. My vestibular symptoms are now fully resolved. My surgical site is only mildly sore and the inner ear discomfort and pressure went from constant to intermittent to now only when I’m exerting myself a bit. I’ve also had a slightly sore throat on the left side which I think is possibly from some drainage? I get migraines so I anticipated having a certain reactions to the surgery, such as neck and jaw tension/discomfort on the implanted side which also triggered a few migraines for me. This too seems to be almost resolved. Lastly, I’m experiencing numbness on the backside of my ear and on the left side of my tongue. 

I have a post op CT and appointment with my surgeon on June 2nd. I will post again after activation day!

Heather

Congratulations heather, sounds like you are recovering well, cant wait for your activation story!