Pretty sure I haven't asked this

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I know Ivana enjoys biking

Matt I assume is a real ripper in his togs at the beach

What do others do sport or leisure with whatever hearing device that MEDEL has provided?

Maybe there are some that didn't think they could participate in an activity but after hearing from some of you guys and gals, it might give encouragement to others

• HearPeers Heroes

Running also :P

I regularly use Sports Headband and before that put my BB into WaterWear for Rondo to protect it from sweat.

Great question. I assumed I wouldn't be able to use my Samba when I am running because it may fall off or the sweat may be harmful for the device. What are my options?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ross, I don't have a Samba but can look into it for you

• HearPeers Heroes

Ross

Medel sells a sports headband that you can wear to protect your samba. Not sure about moisture issues if you are t wearing anything but will look more into it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great question. I assumed I wouldn't be able to use my Samba when I am running because it may fall off or the sweat may be harmful for the device. What are my options?

No Ross - you can. It will not fall down but you need protection against sweat. I use Sportsband and WaterWear for Rondo to protect my Samba. 

At first I put it in the Waterwear cover and then averything into Sportsband. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I enjoy hiking and biking with my husband and our two dogs following us. Also, I like swimming, doing yoga, and participating in the obstacle course races.

My concern is how soon after surgery I can release my upside down yoga exercises without any harm to the internal part of my CI.

Also, I have a dream to master a mountain ski to have more fan with my sons but now I am not sure if it is a good idea doing it after being implanted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara,

I did have a restriction about bending over with my head low for awhile so you may have to wait on some yoga poses. Check with your surgeon for her/his list of restrictions. It varies a little from clinic to clinic it seems. All of my restrictions were lifted at 6 weeks.

There are many active people with CIs. There are water wear covers that give us waterproof protection, sports headbands that keep the processors safely on our heads, ear gear with cords that give dust and sweat protection and tether the processors to us, as well as many other accessories that help keep our processors safe and sound while we are active.

Jeff Campagna posted a photo of going white water rafting with his sons last summer while wearing his CI. Adam Fitzgerald is active in many different sports.

I wore my processor with the water wear cover many times last summer while swimming.

Hopefully others will jump in here soon and share their experiences.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Dear Cara Mia,

Internal parts of CI is protected with the skin flap, imternal unit is hozsed into the temporal bone and electrode is fixed with glue into the middle ear cavity. It won't fell out :)

Regarding mountain ski - well, you have to find a comfortable helmet; perhaps a slight modification will be needed but if people can play football or ride a bike - ther's a hope. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, I understand that my implant is not going to roam astray under my skin, but still think that it will need some time to be completely integrated into my tissues. My surgeon advise me not to be active for up to six weeks after surgery but I didn't discuss with him my specific activity. I feel that even after 6 weeks I will feel a little bit uncomfortable to resume my exercises. I think my concerns about that are more psychological than physical. CI looks so tiny and fragile. Don't want to harm this little guy.

Sure I will need to figure out how to modify my helmet. But I still worry about CI's impact resistance (especially its internal part). 2.5 jules means not so much to me :)

• HearPeers Heroes

:)

The Osseointegration starts immediately as the implantation, also a fibrin glue stabilize internal part. Today, some surgeons inner unit does not sew at all :) Earlier, it was obligated.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara Mia

Your surgeon knows you and your medical history the best. My advice to you is just to wait out the 6 weeks. Every doctor has their reasons for the amount of time you should recover.

Maybe double check with him and let him know how things are progressing. Maybe he will shorten the amount of time for you to wait. Just a thought

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, better be patient ... 6 weeks will flow in a minute...

• HearPeers Heroes

Sure, I am going to follow my doc's recommendations as well as my body, voice of common sense, and your suggestions :)

Actually I asked about this not because I am in a hurry to get my head over heel right after surgery :) I just got myself that I can feel shy to resume my exercising even after that 6 weeks of good behavior :)

I asked your opinion here despite I got the answer from my doc just I like to hear the opinion of people who have the practical experience with the matter. It seems to me that my surgeon has great hearing and no CI. And I doubt he practices any inverted asanas :)

Hope, my Osseo integration and fibrin glue won't let me down as Ivana promissed  :) Yes, I am not going to get any internal stitches per my surgeon.

Thanks everybody for inputs. It's a lot of fun (and useful info) to talk to you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to the group Cara. The more the merrier!

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara

I'm sure your surgeon has done a fine job. I wouldn't worry about the implant. Just enjoy the 6 weeks of rest and recuperation. Hopefully your husband and dog will pamper you until you get the go ahead to resume activities

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Sure, I am going to follow my doc's recommendations as well as my body, voice of common sense, and your suggestions :)

Actually I asked about this not because I am in a hurry to get my head over heel right after surgery :) I just got myself that I can feel shy to resume my exercising even after that 6 weeks of good behavior :)

I asked your opinion here despite I got the answer from my doc just I like to hear the opinion of people who have the practical experience with the matter. It seems to me that my surgeon has great hearing and no CI. And I doubt he practices any inverted asanas :)

Hope, my Osseo integration and fibrin glue won't let me down as Ivana promissed :) Yes, I am not going to get any internal stitches per my surgeon.

Thanks everybody for inputs. It's a lot of fun (and useful info) to talk to you!

No worry Cara :) I have seen many times who it functions - for a real ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara

I'm sure your surgeon has done a fine job. I wouldn't worry about the implant. Just enjoy the 6 weeks of rest and recuperation. Hopefully your husband and dog will pamper you until you get the go ahead to resume activities

Adam

I hope my husband and dogs will continue pamper me even after I resume my activities. Just surprise why my husband is not register yet to "Parent of Children with Hearing Loss" forum :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Tell him the doctor said pampering was mandatory for the next 2 months :D)

• HearPeers Heroes

I am always a little nervous getting back into exercise after a surgery. Once you get the first workout out of the way, you will know you are ready

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope my husband and dogs will continue pamper me even after I resume my activities. Just surprise why my husband is not register yet to "Parent of Children with Hearing Loss" forum :)

:D :D :D :D :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Tell him the doctor said pampering was mandatory for the next 2 months :D)

Like your idea, but I 'd better say two years. The problem is that my husband has decided to follow me each time I have an appointment with my CI surgeon or audi. And then, you know, it is not good to say untruth :rolleyes:

• HearPeers Heroes

I am always a little nervous getting back into exercise after a surgery. Once you get the first workout out of the way, you will know you are ready

I bet you are especially when I think how it should be to resume such highly contact activity as martial art is. For me it is even enough to get nervous just from any mention about marathon - never have enough stamina to push myself for such serious challenge. 5 miles during obstacle race is a greatest advancement for me, but 42 kilometers - this is :wacko:  for me.

Thank you to share it with me. I though something wrong with me to be so unconfident and feeling kind of a little bit vulnerable even before anything happens to me. ​

• HearPeers Heroes

No there is nothing wrong with you!! I was a bit freaked before my surgery as I couldn't get any information as to what to expect from surgery and recovery. Well it wouldn't have helped I had complications!! Who knew!! But it has mostly worked out!!