ChristopherGClick

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Chris and welcome. Do you want to tell us a bit about your hearing?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Chris welcome to the group. Tell us about it. We will answer any questions that we can. We also have a resident ENT who can answer some more complicated questions.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Chris and welcome to Hearpeers. Let us know how we can help.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Chris!! Looking forward to getting to know you. Do you have a date set for surgery?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Chris,

welcome to the Hearpeers :)

Either if you have a date for the operation or just lurking to get more information, please ask. We`ll try to help as much as we can or know ;)

Thank you all for the welcome.  Mary Beth, I did share some hearing loss history yesterday but only in reply to a post by Hearme's Forum question "Single Sided Deafness - is CI the answer?"  I believe each of you (Ivana, Adam, Sandy, Kara and you) as well as others replied to her question so perhaps you've seen that already.

My hearing loss is sensorineural of unknown cause, post lingual and progressive. I'm a candidate for unilateral implant at present with bilateral perhaps a future prospect.  Just over a year ago I had severe bout of sporadic but persistent tinnitus in my right (good) ear that lasted until shortly after my otolaryngology appointment at UCSF in late May 2015.  That January an audiogram showed a significant decline in my right ear hearing that prompted the referral to UCSF.  My examining UCSF physician determined that a previous 2006 otolaryngologist diagnosis (referral by my ENT) of vascular loop syndrome affecting my left ear, while reasonable at the time (given significantly poorer and declining hearing in only one ear) was no longer probable since my right ear hearing loss now seemed to be taking a similar, though later, trajectory.  I've had measured hearing losses since the early 1990's at least and reasons to believe it may have begun much earlier.  My hearing seems to have been fairly stable for six months now.

I have an appointment in San Francisco next week which is either/both a review of radiologic studies &/or surgical consultation, so I'm past just lurking but don't have a surgery date set yet, but perhaps soon.  Will likely ask some questions about devices.

• HearPeers Heroes

I read part of your history regarding your hearing yesterday so I commented only briefly there.

Sometimes, when we comment at differents topics, there is a real probablity that we lost track with your hearing details. Nothing important...

You had not have any vertigos? Vascular loop syndrome is interesting but unfortunately hard for making definitive diagnosis. 

Regarding questions, be free to ask whatever bothers you - we`ll try to answer but also if you just want to hang out with us little bit - you`re also welcome. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Chris

I am sorry, sounds like you have really even through a lot. Please let us know how the consultation goes.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing. My story in the brief version is this

Otosclerosis diagnosed at age 13

Progressed quicker than normal

Stapendectomy in right ear around age 21- complications twice with perilymph fistuas so repeated stapendectomy one time and a removal of the pin the second time

Continued progressive bilateral loss

Ménière's disease right ear believed to be related to surgeries and complications

Transcanal labrynthectomy right ear in 1991

"Dead right ear" from 1991 to 2015 when implanted with CI

wonderful results

Implanted left ear in October

Wonderful results

Wishing you the best,

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

MaryBeth truly is bionic. That's a lot of stuff.

Looking forward to hearing how things go Chris. Will be praying for you

• HearPeers Heroes

My list looks like nothing compared to yours Adam. I'm so glad that your CIs are so successful. Good luck I'm Arizona. I contacted them but the study is full.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well that stink. If you ever have the chance to participate in one, I would jump on it. If I'm not mistaken, you can check the Medel website for current studies going on. Vanderbuilt university has a big CI program and also does a lot of research

• HearPeers Heroes

Both of you are doctor's best dreams...;):P But, you know - my Mr. Hyde understands you. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the group.  I started my cochlear implant journey last year on January 7th when I had the implant surgery (actually, if you include all the doctor visits prior to the surgery, my journey actually started in October of 2014 when I went for consultation about the cochlear implant).  My Activation Day was February 12, 2015.  Yes, this Friday marks one year since Activation Day.  Before that day, I never heard out of my right ear (my implanted ear) as I was born deaf in that ear.  I only have no more than 10%  of my hearing left in my left ear (desiring to have the implant done in that ear as well).  I can tell you, the journey is rewarding.  All these years (since 2006), my doctor told me that he thought I would be a candidate for the implant, but I always said no.  I am so thankful I finally said yes!  I am quite certain that I am hearing better out of my implanted ear than my other ear (which I wear a hearing aid on) these days.  I may find out for sure on Friday since I have an appointment on the anniversary of Activation Day.  We shall see.

Anyways, welcome aboard.  :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi welcome Chris!! We are a fun and rowdy bunch. As we all have been or are in this journey presently, we will answer any questions that you may have. Good luck with your appointment. Keep us updated!!