Rehab exercises

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey everyone

We have a number of great sites and programs already posted for rehab. Is there anybody that thought outside the box in practicing?

One thing that was very helpful to me was to write down 2 or 3 sentences. One copy for you and one copy for somebody else.

Have them read the sentences out loud while you read along.

I also would read an article out loud

• HearPeers Heroes

Not sure if any of this is outside the box but....

Exact listening: Have someone read a phrase from a book or newspaper and repeat it back word for word. Start with the speaker sitting next to you, then have the speaker move further away, then add in noise.

Exact listening word list: Have someone read one syllable words to you from a book or newspaper and repeat them back. Start with the speaker sitting next to you, then have the speaker move further away, then add in noise.

IOWA test with a partner. We discussed that before and I shared a link to the test so it's somewhere on this site. I actually added in more phonemes so that all the consonant sounds of English are being tested.

I use a speech in noise app that uses a 5 X 10 grid and makes up random 5 word sentences from the lists of 10 choices in each spot. It adds in noise, it's by Emily Fu Foundation and is free.

Minimal pair lists of words for difficult phoneme pairs. You can find lists easily on the web by typing in minimal pairs and listing the sounds (m and n).

Definitely music! Listening to music daily. All different kinds.

Practicing scales on a keyboard or keyboard app to help with pitch perception.

These are some of the activities I do in addition to the typical ones we discuss often.

Other than that.....just throw yourself into life and listen to everything you can.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Marybeth

Kind of funny, I just posted something very similar. Every minute that you have your processor on, you are practicing whether you realize it or not.

Sometimes you just have to sit and listen.

• HearPeers Heroes

Now that it is freezing here, I miss all of nature's sounds outside. The shock that there were so many birds around, the sound of bird's wings as they took flight off of our pool cover, geese flying overhead, crickets........

I can't wait to be surrounded by these sounds again.

• HearPeers Heroes

I also heard that watching movies or tv with and without captions is training as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

Marybeth, kinda like that saying, you don't realize what you have until you don't have it anymore

• HearPeers Heroes

I had a friend who wrote the numbers 1 to 100 on playing cards and then mixed them up. We practised this every day until I understood. I also made up lists of clothing, vegetables, fruit, furniture, etc., and again read these and I repeated. The best for me was putting myself in situations that I normally avoided: going to restaurants and meeting groups of people. The best one was travelling by myself last year for two weeks. I had only myself to rely on.

• HearPeers Heroes

I also heard that watching movies or tv with and without captions is training as well.

Of course, captions are pretty neat help. :)

As I am not native English speaker this was the way we have learnt it - over movies. The principle is same ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow Sandy pretty brave. I actually took a flight by self last year. I was actually surprised how accomadating the air line was. I flew from BC home by myself. Air Canada.

• HearPeers Heroes

Air canada was very accommodating to me as well. Especially the flight from Toronto to London. With the number of mappings I went to, the flight staff got to know me and were very encouraging.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy

Where did you come up with the idea for the cards?

• HearPeers Heroes

The last time I flew, it was out to Arizona state U for a study. Had no issues what so ever and was even boarded first

• HearPeers Heroes

As for responding to Adams other post, yes Med el is on Pinterest. But I don't use it. Some others don't either so it would be appreciated if they could all be posted here.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well... some people find Pinterest very useful so it's good that word about hearing implants is spread wherever it's possible.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes that's true. I don't use it. I know there are others that don't as well. The same way some people don't use Facebook.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, the friend who helped me thought of it. She took two decks of cards and marked them 1-100, shuffled them and put the ones I missed in a separate pile. We did this every day. When I saw the audiologist we told her the ones I missed. Usually the same ones and the mapping adjusted accordingly. Threes, fives and eights were the ones I missed most.

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting game Sandy - it helped to you but also to your partner who didn't need to re-think new words. So there is a constant objectivity in the process of guessing.

These are all great training ideas! This morning Ed, my husband, was asking me questions with his mouth covered. I thought that would be a good idea for rehabilitation.

At what point were you all when you started to fly solo? Did you hear the announcements?

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

I was told or I read it some where not to do that right away. The brain needs to recognize what it's hearing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Elaine,

Spending time listening only (no visual input) is a great exercise during auditory training. In fact it dawned on me today at work that I was listening to the 7th grade social studies teacher while I was typing on my iPad and I understood everything he said! I almost missed that wow moment since I was so focused on the report I was working on at the time.

Keep entering info in your hearing journal. It's fun to go back and read later on! (And it has been especially helpful to compare my second CIs journey with the first one).

You are off to a great start.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Elaine, I started putting myself in uncomfortable situations right away. I felt it was the only way for me to go. I went to restaurants, malls, family gatherings. It was sometimes frustrating but in the end the rewards were worth it. I still have trouble with announcements in airports but keep trying. As I said in a precious post, travelling by myself last year was the best thing I've done. I depended on myself and it's given me more confidence to do the things I want. And last evening by mistake I hit the telephone icon on my iPhone and actually heard the person on the other end! WOW moment!