Rehab for bilingual

Cara Mia

• HearPeers Heroes

If it's nessesary to work on speach recognition for each language you use, or it is enough to master English phonemes, for example, to be good with other languages.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good question. I would think it would be best to work on each language as some phonemes are different.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

If I were in your shoes, I would practice each language you use. It can't hurt especially if it is a language used often

• HearPeers Heroes

I would also vote for separate approach - it's not just phonemes than accent too, sound of getting familiar with a word.

My native language is pretty different from English so - continous practice by written word or thought help me a lot.

:)

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like I have a lot of work ahead of me. Interesting which of them I will pick up easier. Will see. Actually most of the time I use English, but three others are my love.

Ivana, considering the difference between English and Croatia it's hard to imagine that both of them are coming from the same root. My native language is closer to yours than English. Originally I am from Saint Petersburg, Russia.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ough... I thought that you're possibly from Italy :D

Although, I have never learnt Russian so except few words I can not say that I understand it. Quite interesting situation happen to me when Polish guy told me that he understands me everything - I didn't him any single world :D

But, I think we'd be in greater trouble if I, by chance, am from Hungary. :)

It's a wild wide world :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Italian is my new hobby since the last year.

Believe or not but I was "exposed" to Hungarian language a little bit. Before that I thought that there is nothing more complicated than Latin grammar. After that I have changed my opinion :)

Sorry that I have started learning English when I was 40. Never thought to move so far away from my beautiful city and speak English. That's great that being the analytic type of language English has much easier grammar compare to the Roman or Slavic languages (without mention Finno-Ugric group like Hungarian).

By the way, does Med El have forums in French or Italian with rehab sources?

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know the answer to your question Cara but I am going to try to master Italian now that I can hear again!

• HearPeers Heroes

I would check the website. They have many languages. medel.com

• HearPeers Heroes

Italian is my new hobby since the last year.

Believe or not but I was "exposed" to Hungarian language a little bit. Before that I thought that there is nothing more complicated than Latin grammar. After that I have changed my opinion :)

Sorry that I have started learning English when I was 40. Never thought to move so far away from my beautiful city and speak English. That's great that being the analytic type of language English has much easier grammar compare to the Roman or Slavic languages (without mention Finno-Ugric group like Hungarian).

By the way, does Med El have forums in French or Italian with rehab sources?

:)

Well - I am from the capital city Zagreb so our "heritage" language is, actually - German. English came after, in the '80-ties with lots of american movies - the VHS revolution: everybody watched movies or TV soap operas. This exposed younger generation toward anglo-saxon influence although older generations fractionally did learn Russian.

Regarding the Hungarian language, the border is near to the Zagreb so from time to time we went there for a shoping of good and cheap vines as well as excellent saussages.

Austria and Germany is really close to me so I like to spent a weekend in the Alps or in Vienna or eat good italian dishes because Italy is also near although I know only few Italian words.

The difference between the Hungarian and the Slavic group of languages is that Slavic is comparable with languages like English, German, Italian and Spanish regarding the grammar although little bit more complicated because of the pronounciation and noun or adjective declination - in this part the Croatian is more similar to the German language because we also have suffixes.

Regarding your question, this forum should be international but since most people speak English we use it and try to adapt. Perhaps there are some FB CI groups - there is official and unofficial Med-El website. The latter gather people with Med-El CIs but otherwise is not connected with them. This group is international, English is dominating but I guess certain not-native English speaker could be found. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know the answer to your question Cara but I am going to try to master Italian now that I can hear again!

Great Mary Beth! :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Experiment to see which works best for you. I'm sure your audiologist might have some good suggestions

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope you will like it and find a quite entertaining.

I would check the website. They have many languages. medel.com

Kara, thanks for your idea. Found Med El versions on all languages I am interested with. But seems rehab sources are available mostly in English only.

Not a problem actually to find songs, audio books, movies, and perhaps even some exercises on phonetic recognition in any languages on the net.

Experiment to see which works best for you. I'm sure your audiologist might have some good suggestions

Sure, I will experiment. It will be interesting to figure out how it is going to work for me. And will follow your advise to ask my audiologist if she has any suggestions on that topic.

Ivana, I feel a little bit jealous - you live in a such interesting and beautiful place with many close connections to other beautiful places. Regarding my question with I put a little bit incorrectly: I am very comfortable here, in this forum. Just wanted to find the rehab exercises in different languages. So, I am going to stay here with you :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Let us know what you find out. Interesting subject.

• HearPeers Heroes

We're definitely glad to have you here!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Have you tried some of the more conventional language programs like Rosetta Stone?

• HearPeers Heroes

[quote name="Cara Mia" post="8163" timestamp="1454126445

Ivana, I feel a little bit jealous - you live in a such interesting and beautiful place with many close connections to other beautiful places. Regarding my question with I put a little bit incorrectly: I am very comfortable here, in this forum. Just wanted to find the rehab exercises in different languages. So, I am going to stay here with you :)

:) well, you are from Europe so you understand that these priviliges have also disadvantages. But, let's not spoil our mood :)

Ugh, ugh... I understand you completely - it wasn't incorrect at all. Sometimes fir a real exercise you really need native speakers. Beside everything else, I enjoy here to practice my English. :)

I have however found some localizsed forums but they got people with all kind of hearing loss. Perhaps I haven't looked in detail.

Regarding the rehabilitation, I think reading as much as you can and then listening for instance radio station online can help you. For instance there is a website Tune In where you can find radio stations from the whole world! :P

• HearPeers Heroes

Have you tried some of the more conventional language programs like Rosetta Stone?

Yes, I have the programs like Rosetta Stone. I know that I can find a lot of source to listen to any possible language in different forms. But I thought that there are some special rehab exercises in different languages available to train the recognition for confusing words sounding alike for people with impaired hearing  like pat-bat; path-bath; bath-bus; smell-spell; wait-mate. Not a problem, will do it myself. And of course I let everybody here to know how my brain deals with different languages. My bet that Russian will be easiest, then French, and only then English despite I use it more than everything else. Italian should be hardest for me to puck up. I will try two type of "tests" - using the familiar texts and something I don't know. Funny, but when GPS in my car tells me to turn "right or left? I always hear "right" even if I know that it is left... Will see soon...

• HearPeers Heroes

You`re right - this part of rehabilitation could be improved. It is a good idea to develop this kind of program ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course, but Kara now when we regain certain abilitiy back - we're like kid: we would like to try everything and all at once. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course like me!! It got me headaches!! So I speak from experience. Slow and steady.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah... I didn't want to remind you...:(

• HearPeers Heroes

That's ok. It's reality!! No worries.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Having a good day. Only a very short headache today. About three minutes long!! Lol