Better Direct Input lead - Suggestions?

Mr-LJ

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi all,

I am looking for a better direct input lead.

The problem with the Medel one is that it is sooooo hard that it kinda twists the implant off the ear and dislodges the input shoe on my Siemens hearing aid in the other ear. There are other excellent wires that are nice and soft and flexi BUT for some reason the other softer leads do not switch off the Mic.

Sadly I have to use the Medel red plug lead to switch off Mic. How can I get round this problem please.... any one got any good ideas?

By the way.... Nice to back on forum after sooo long away.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Laurence!! Welcome back to Hearpeers!! Have you tired a Bluetooth? With that you. Can stream through a phone. I would ask Mary Beth this question. She uses a Quattro 4.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Laurence,

I agree that the DAI cable is stiff and can make the processor fall off your ear. I tend to use a Bluetooth neckloop. I use the DAI cables on planes.

Do you have a Sonnet or Opus2 processor?

Welcome back.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Ladies and thank you for your welcomes...!

I do like the idea of bluetooth but the only snag with a neck loop as opposed to direct input wires to each hearing device is that you cannot get stereo effect. I do get on very well with music through direct input cable because the music player has a graphic equaliser and balance control. My Siemens DSP hearing aid in the left lug is good for bass sounds being it is a natural sound, although hearing is very poor in that ear, but it helps the ci. The ci gives good high frequency of course. I find that the conventional hearing aid helps to mask away the roboticness of the ci. I dunno what others think regarding this.

The bluetooth will probably be great for telephone where stereo sound is not needed. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I understand your desire for stereo effect, which you are correct is absent when using a neckloop. I just ordered stereo T hooks and I am hoping that they solve that problem for me. Here's what I think will be better about the stereo T hooks:

-stereo sound

-no heavy stiff DAI cable

-if I choose to use T, I can quickly switch to M if someone approaches to speak with me. With the red DAI cable you have to unplug the cable which means removing the processor-unplugging the cable-putting the processor back on again

-no need to change out battery covers

I can use BOSE over the ear noise cancelling headphones with my processors and things sound great with them, so headphones are an option too for stereo sound.

• HearPeers Heroes

The T Hooks or ear loops are actually pretty good, I have some, see photo. However, they are not quite as clear as the direct inputs but they are much more.... 'quick to change back to Mic' as you mention whereas the red plug direct inputs are a bit of a hassle in changing back.

Ear%20Loops_zpsshlvgqip.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Laurence,

Well HAs add lower frequencies if you still hear them so sound is better balanced. Without cerain sound spectre - it has to sound unnatural.

• HearPeers Heroes

Laurence

You could try the Quattro and use the telecoil feature. Nothing on the ear.

Or you could look int an FM system wich has great quality of sound and various functions as far as mic directionality. I have a Phonak Smartlink and love it

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Ivana, (What a lovely name!)

I'd really love to have an FM system but here in the UK it is very expensive. I'd have to well justify the cost to buy one. The Quattro? I am considering it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Laurence,

FM delivers great sound BUT there is no stereo effect with FM either. The sound will be the same to both FM receivers so if you are looking for stereo sound, that will not work.

I like the Quattro4 and use it daily however neckloops are not my favorite sound quality because in certain situations you encounter interference (EMI).

I am eagerly waiting for the future technology that MedEl mentions with the Sonnet processors. Future 2.4 wireless technology. I think that has a lot of potential, but again, it will most likely not deliver stereo sound.

Have you tried headphones yet?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Marybeth, I am as well. Can't wait.

The Quattro sounds like a nice alternative

• HearPeers Heroes

Headphones? How do they work on a ci user?  :huh:

I may be upgraded to Sonnet in June/July as it will be my fifth year so I'll have to read up about this 2.4 technology. Not sure if I like the Rondo.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sonnets are great. But I also like the Opus2 and the Rondo.

You need an over the ear headphone. Works great.

• HearPeers Heroes

Laurence,

Check out

Hands On Hearing website

Full of great info by Jeff Campagna

• HearPeers Heroes

Hands on hearing is a great resource. Jeff himself has a CI and is very knowledgeable about assistive technology

• HearPeers Heroes

Headphones shouldn't be a problem. Ivan put them right over my ears and processor and hear well. You would need to experiment with which ones you like just like any hearing person.

With a CI you won't get the feedback with the processor covered

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Ivana, (What a lovely name!)

I'd really love to have an FM system but here in the UK it is very expensive. I'd have to well justify the cost to buy one. The Quattro? I am considering it.

Hello Laurence - thank you.

I am also from Europe - But from Croatia. :)

Great Brittain - the sharpest humour of all time...! :D