Feedback on Backfeed

VanGoghsEar

Received my Implant on Nov. 9/15 and hook up on Dec.2/15. Great procedure.

Initially the quality was Donald Duck on helium but after almost 2 months the "helium" effect has lessened. Making good progress but seem to go up and down a bit in the mapping department. In any event my hearing has improved. I notice here some people are struggling with echo and that is probably what my problem is as well. I can hear dishes clatter a mile away but string music is almost impossible, but language is tubular but good other than the stereo effect of the echo accompanying it. If it never gets any better, I'm still happy but wonder if anyone with a similar experience has suggestions.

Hope this makes sense and look forward to comments.

Tom.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tom,

Welcome. In the early days, I always felt that the sound quality had to be tuned in better. After several mapping sessions, lots of auditory training and time it all sorted itself out. Somewhere between 3-6 months everything just fell into place. It's a combination of better mappings, brain plasticity, training and time. Do not feel like you have to settle for an inferior sound quality like an echo effect. Keep training and keep explaining how things sound to your audiologist.

Best of luck Tom,

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi tom

Yes, for me it was not a consistent ride. It will take a number of mappings to start getting a handle on things. Keep a detailed journal of everything you hear. What it sounds like, try to be as specific as possible. Echo tinny dearth Vader.... Where you are, inside outside, acoustics of the room. Males sound like this, females sound like this.......

The more detail you can give, the better your Audi can give an accurate map.

Relentless Forward Motion! Some things will take longer than others

Be sure to check in and let us know how things progress.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tom, welcome to Hearpeers. I'm Canadian too, from Thunder Bay. I'm still trying to get used to my last mapping but it takes time. Keeping a journal of what sounds good and what doesn't will help your audiologist. I'm still patiently working on music but must admit I do get frustrated. Following the 3 Ps helps - patience, perseverance and practice! It does get better! Keep us informed and ask any questions. We will try to answer.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tom! Welcome to hearpeers!! It definitely a ride. I was implanted on November 5 of 2015 and activated on December 1. So I am in the same

Time frame as you. My journey is all over the place. Ups and downs. But I can hear well and I am doing lots of training. Good luck and keep us posted!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Tom as you can see there is a lot of great support here, plus you get to make some pretty neat friends.

• HearPeers Heroes

So, keep your records what you might think is not ok - and be persistent. No one knows better than you how is in your head.

Oh, - and welcome to the HP. :D