Any Motorcyclists here?

Mr-LJ

• HearPeers Heroes

... The reason I ask is... How do you get on with your ci under a crash helmet?

Wearing a helmet is not easy with a ci and I certainly would NOT want to ride without a helmet.

I have sought advice from the Police motorcycle officers whom told me to contact DVLA (Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency) they in turn advise me to contact local police motorcycle safety officers! so, I go round and around in circles.

Any answers?

• HearPeers Heroes

Laurence

Our buddy MATT rides all over the world. I'm sure he will be checking in soon

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes - Matt Laxton is right person. Hope he'll say a word soon.

I have been researched this field - my conclusion is trying to work with individual manufacturer if they can make certain modification.

I gave found even helmets for a football. :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey mate

I know of a race car driver with an implant. I will try to look up his info for you

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a helmet too.Until now found 2 options.

One is the adjustable helmet from this company https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWMheAyu9dQ where Adam Strecker with a cochlear implant already have for football games.

I contact by email the company today and asking if they can make any bike helmets too.  

And the other option is a ballistic helmet.On the extreme side but maybe will do.  

http://3.imimg.com/data3/DP/DC/MY-3252181/lightweight-ballistic-helmet-250x250.jpg

Any other options to consider?

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Michael. I do not have a motorcycle but wanted to welcome you to the group.

Mary Beth

Thank you Mary,

sorry for not introducing myself first.I was around the forum for over a year and i felt like i was somewhat familiar with the most posters.

• HearPeers Heroes

Michael,

Feel free to share your hearing story if you want.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am looking for a helmet too.Until now found 2 options.

One is the adjustable helmet from this company https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWMheAyu9dQ where Adam Strecker with a cochlear implant already have for football games.

I contact by email the company today and asking if they can make any bike helmets too.  

And the other option is a ballistic helmet.On the extreme side but maybe will do.  

http://3.imimg.com/data3/DP/DC/MY-3252181/lightweight-ballistic-helmet-250x250.jpg

Any other options to consider?

Hello Michael,

I was also searching options because I like to ride my bike. ALthough it is still not legally forbidden in Croatia not to wear helmet I consider options of having one.

If you got some answer, can you please share it with us here? :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Michael,

Welcome to hearpeers!! Looking forward to getting to know you. I am bilaterally implanted 4 years.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Matt Laxton would be the person to ask. He rides a motorcycle all over the world. Not sure how much internet access he has as he travels, I am sure will chime in soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Didn't he just cut out the spounge of the helmet? I guess Matt doesn't have industrially adapted helmet.

The company's answer:  unfortunately we do not sell bike helmets, at this time the only product we offer are football helmets and equipment. 

I dont know if we can modify that helmet for our needs.

I talked to the audiologist and he suggest to cut a piece of foam the size of the the possessor on the old helmet.It may be a better solution than to cut a bigger hole.So that way when you remove the helmet it stays inside the helmet with out the fear for the processor to fall

• HearPeers Heroes

The company's answer:  unfortunately we do not sell bike helmets, at this time the only product we offer are football helmets and equipment. 

I dont know if we can modify that helmet for our needs.

I talked to the audiologist and he suggest to cut a piece of foam the size of the the possessor on the old helmet.It may be a better solution than to cut a bigger hole.So that way when you remove the helmet it stays inside the helmet with out the fear for the processor to fall

Yes, but it is still crack of safety protocol if anything happen...:(

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes you have to be very careful before altering any safety equipment.

• HearPeers Heroes

Maybe contact the manufacturer again and see if they would be willing to look into making the helmet you need. Can't hurt to ask

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, but Michael should contact a bike helmet manufacturer - this manufacturer clearly said that they are not making them.

I'm a motorcyclist and have wondered about this too - I have a Bonebridge.  I will remove the processor when I ride.  But I'm wondering how the helmet will fit now that I have the implant... 

Please keep me posted !!

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm a motorcyclist and have wondered about this too - I have a Bonebridge.  I will remove the processor when I ride.  But I'm wondering how the helmet will fit now that I have the implant... 

Please keep me posted !!

Hi Nicole,

I am totally in the same shoes like you - have tried few helmets and I could not find appropriate one.

• HearPeers Heroes

With the way the world is continuing to move forward with upgrades and new discoveries I am sure there will be helmets for all in no time. We need to make known that there is a need.

• HearPeers Heroes

Matt is volunteering right now at a Grand Prix as medical support. As soon as he gets done, maybe he will stop in and say hello.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah. Be good to hear from him. He has been MIA for a while.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hey crew,

been busy since getting home and have neglected my bionic buddies (as Adam calls us).

I saw a new helmet design yesterday and was actually able to put it on with my processor in place! Have a look at this site and see what you think.

http://voztec.worldsecuresystems.com/

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome back Matt!! We have certainly missed you!!