Battery life vs. lifespan

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Commonly Confused: Battery Life vs Battery Lifespan

Battery life means the time a device will run before the disposable batteries must be replaced, or the rechargeable batteries recharged.

Battery lifespan means the total number of charge cycles a rechargeable battery will last before the battery life degrades to 80% of its original fully-charged capacity.

A battery charge cycle is a full charge and discharge of the rechargeable battery.

This post via Bob MacPherson

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, at present none of us has rechargable batteries - hope Med-El will get some fir you because you really spent them many.

• HearPeers Heroes

yet, for Sonnet users. There are still many that have opus 2

I just thought it was an interesting read.

Waiting on the FDA is like watching the grass grow

Hopefully rondo users and other implanted folks can benefit from rechargeable, sooner than later

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course it's interesting - pardon me, I've already almost forgot to the users of Opus. :)

Does only Sonnet users in USA have not rechargeable batteries? I didn't know if there is rechargeable option at all...?

Well, look at like this - when this grass grow, it will be perfect! :)  

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually when it comes to rechargeable batteries for the Sonnet processors, everyone is in the same boat. MedEl has not released the rechargeable batteries for the Sonnet processors yet anywhere. Just like the future 2.4 wireless connectivity for the Sonnet, everyone is waiting for that also.

The Sonnet features that have been released elsewhere and are pending FDA approval in the US include:

-dual mics

-windblock

-waterwear for Opus2 and Sonnet processors

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually when it comes to rechargeable batteries for the Sonnet processors, everyone is in the same boat. MedEl has not released the rechargeable batteries for the Sonnet processors yet anywhere. Just like the future 2.4 wireless connectivity for the Sonnet, everyone is waiting for that also.

The Sonnet features that have been released elsewhere and are pending FDA approval in the US include:

-dual mics

-windblock

-waterwear for Opus2 and Sonnet processors

I was just trying to find what kind of connectivity regarding the network has Samba - I know I can linked it through the BT network on various devices like mobile phone or laptop over the streamer.

Is this 2,4 wireless connectivity - wifi?

• HearPeers Heroes

Haven't heard as far as Samba is concerned as far as connectivity.

If I had to make a guess, I would think it would have to be very similar to CI processors.

• HearPeers Heroes

Okay I'll start by saying that I am not techie. I have read that BlueTooth is a wireless connectivity but it takes too much power to be imbedded in our processor directly so we will have an intermediary device. Bluetooth to the intermediary device to the internal 2.4 wireless in the Sonnet. No need for telecoil neckloops.

However, MedEl has not released any info on this yet so we will need to wait and see what they have in store for us.

• HearPeers Heroes

I you need a comparison a Rogers pen is wirelessly connected. Wth cochlear they have their own wireless devices. Such as he mini microphone.

• HearPeers Heroes

Okay I'll start by saying that I am not techie. I have read that BlueTooth is a wireless connectivity but it takes too much power to be imbedded in our processor directly so we will have an intermediary device. Bluetooth to the intermediary device to the internal 2.4 wireless in the Sonnet. No need for telecoil neckloops.

However, MedEl has not released any info on this yet so we will need to wait and see what they have in store for us.

Well... It's not specified at the official website of Samba what kind of connection is in but I can connect my Samba over "intermediary" device with laptop and mobile phone so I can directly listen YouTube in my ear without headphone.

I guess we don't have telecoil either or possibility for DAI input. On the other side, pressing of processor with headphones is not option (only the big one) because of squealing caused by the pressure.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

The Roger pen is wirelessly connected to a receiver that has to plug into the bottom of the processor. It creates a subnetwork between the Roger pen and the receiver.

Internal 2.4 wireless connectivity leads me to believe that the intermediary device will connect to something that is internally in the Sonnet. No need for a receiver.

I can't wait!

• HearPeers Heroes

The Audi used a neck loop. I think it was a minitek by Siemens. The Rogers pen connected to that. Wirelessly.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah the Roger pen needs to send the signal to a receiver. Then to the processor. I believe the future 2.4 wireless technology will take that middle step away. Sound source to whatever MedEl is designing for us and then picked up by the processor without an FM receiver or neckloop.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes that's what I am not thrilled with with the FM. Having to wear the transmitter if I have it plugged in to say my phone or iPad. It does work very well in classroom or meeting settings. If we are around a table I can just put it in the center of the table. If somebody is speaking from a distance, they usually don't have a problem wearing it.

Acoustics of the room make a difference. If there is a lot of metal say in ceilings with no tile, or a lot of electronic equipment. It can give feedback like static

• HearPeers Heroes

Right. So that makes me feel special that theyare designing something just for us!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree Adam,

Phonak's Dynamic FM system encountered those problems more often than Phonak's newer Roger system which uses a sub-network instead of actual FM signals.

The Quattro4 has a detachable remote mic that may be placed on a table or worn by a speaker. I do not use that remote mic but I did test it out and it works well.

The things that I do not like about using the Quattro4 are :

-telecoil sound quality that meets with interference in some settings

-the dial on the Quattro4 is very sensitive so if you accidentally touch it, things happen like volume changes or pausing the sound. This is inconvenient when I'm active.

-there is a slight delay due to the Bluetooth then telecoil transmission so I can not watch videos on my iPad with it because the sound and the characters' mouths do not match. Some people are more sensitive to this and it seems like I am in that group.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Agreed Mary Beth. I will stick with my smart link for now

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

If you go to the international site there is a better description about wireless connectivity for Samba. Bluetooth and telecoil are supported.

http://www.medel.com/int/samba-audio-processor

Kara,

Roger is Phonak technology not Siemens. Opus 2 and SONNET users have to use the universal Roger X receiver.

Great discussion about wireless technology. Unfortunately with many different wireless protocols it is confusing.

I am going to create a separate post discussing wireless technology and the processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

If you go to the international site there is a better description about wireless connectivity for Samba. Bluetooth and telecoil are supported.

http://www.medel.com/int/samba-audio-processor

Kara,

Roger is Phonak technology not Siemens. Opus 2 and SONNET users have to use the universal Roger X receiver.

Great discussion about wireless technology. Unfortunately with many different wireless protocols it is confusing.

I am going to create a separate post discussing wireless technology and the processor.

Thanx Hadron,

I have missed the data about telecoil although I do not know is it possible to use this add-on without a streamer - the miniTek. I have succeeded to connect over miniTek+BT to my mobile phone and laptop. Also, if miniTek is further than 20 cm away of Samba it will not work at all. Not to mention that if there is another BB or even Siemens HA near to me it will also be connected to that network (if it is near enough).

• 2 months later...

ladies & gentlemen , what would you suggest best for kids to go wireless to choose among FM System (like ROGER X, Comfort Audio DT20 or phonak FM?)  

I need to figure out my shopping list for ALDs which would be the best and compatible to each other. how about combination: Phonak's mini mic clip (or Roger pen) + Mini receiver (FM Systems: ROGER X , DT20, Phonak FM Sys) enough to use in outdoor indoor?

Confused..