Hello from Ontario Canada

ColinY

Hello My name is Colin and I live in Ontario Canada.

I have had ear issues my entire life including a few Cholesteatomas.

I had an Open Cavity procedure done on the last surgery to hopefully prevent it from coming back.

I have been using a hearing aid to help with my hearing loss (Moderate-Severe), but now I am considering an implant.

I was wondering what people's opinions are between the Medel BoneBridge vs the Cochlear BAHA Attract???

I am trying to decide which one is the one for me.

THANKS!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Colin,

I have cochlear implants so I will not be much help but I wanted to welcome you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers Colin

I have 2 CIs myself so can't speak from personal experience. I actually just posted a video, one in the bonebridge category on how it works.

Feel free to as many questions as you would like. This is a great community of folks from all over the world, in various stages of their hearing journey. Looking forward to getting to know you

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello My name is Colin and I live in Ontario Canada.

I have had ear issues my entire life including a few Cholesteatomas.

I had an Open Cavity procedure done on the last surgery to hopefully prevent it from coming back.

I have been using a hearing aid to help with my hearing loss (Moderate-Severe), but now I am considering an implant.

I was wondering what people's opinions are between the Medel BoneBridge vs the Cochlear BAHA Attract???

I am trying to decide which one is the one for me.

THANKS!

Hello Colin Y,

I am a unilateral user of Bonebridge implant. Welcome to the Hearpeers. :)

My hearing loss is conductive pure bilateral - what kind of hearing loss is yours? And what are your hearing thresholds?

BAHA Attract is kind of passive bone-conduction implant and "the old" BAHA (with abutment) and Bonebridge is - active bone-conduction implant solution.

On this link you can see the difference: http://www.medel.com/int/show/index/id/1495/title/Active-vs--Passive/

I was only offered Bonebridge but not BAHA Attract (only the abutment version 12 years ago) so I didn't have much pain to choose which device but I was reluctant to accept "the old" BAHA just because I am active person and I was not sure if I wouldn't accidentally hurt my head while running or riding my bike. Also, didn't like the idea of constant must of cleaning area around the abutment.

But, let's talk about ATTRACT version - I know that some people was not delighted with the idea that Attract has much longer surgical cut. Bonebridge's cut is max 5 cm below the hairline. It actually lies at the head and doesn't stick out as the Attract which still needs to be little bit further away of the head.

We had here one bilateral user of Bonebridge, Thomas, who previously could not customize himself at the digital version of BAHA although before that he successfully used analog BAHA. Present BAHA is only digital. Thomas, like you, has chronic middle ear infection with cholesteatoma which eventually affected on his hearing.

Perhaps, I revive him. :)

These all are, hope so, objective observations but I can not comment direct difference. I can tell you that I am satisfied with my Bonebridge more than I can explain it. Before that I wear a bone-conduction hearing aid over the headband because I was born without ear canals and with malformed middle ear hearing ossicles chain. After a while I have reminded better speech intelligibility than with any hearing aid I had up to the moment I got Bonebridge. 

I am not sure if I have covered all your interests - please ask as many questions you can think of. I will try to answer you. :)

Thanks for the welcome!

Ivana, thanks so much for the link to show the difference between the active vs passive, great information!

My hearing loss is conductive in the right side only. I have very little loss in the left ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Colin. Welcome to Hearpeers. We are here to help in any way. Ask as many questions as you need and someone will answer. I'm from Ontario too (Thunder Bay).

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the welcome!

Ivana, thanks so much for the link to show the difference between the active vs passive, great information!

My hearing loss is conductive in the right side only. I have very little loss in the left ear.

Not a problem Colin :)

This seems that you are excellent candidate for Bonebridge because you have excellent contralateral hearing. Original conditions are affected ear up to 45 dB, and contralateral hearing loss up to 30 dB. BUT my hearing loss is bilateral up to 65-70 dB and I have enormous improvement of my life quality just with one implanted side. :)