One Year Since Activation Day

Ms_D

• HearPeers Heroes

I did the same Adam. But not really a choice. My right ear had better hearing and my left ear had better balance nerve. The right ear had little to no balance nerve function and the left had excellent function. Also there was scarring around the left cochlea and nerves.

• HearPeers Heroes

I did the same Adam. But not really a choice. My right ear had better hearing and my left ear had better balance nerve. The right ear had little to no balance nerve function and the left had excellent function. Also there was scarring around the left cochlea and nerves.

It was a choice because of THAT. 

• HearPeers Heroes

The surgeon recommended the good ear for me. It was scary, but the right choice at the time.

• HearPeers Heroes

My surgeon wanted to go with my dead ear first but I wanted the better one. He had no problems with that. Thankful to have a surgeon who considers your opinion and treats you as part of a team.

• HearPeers Heroes

Better outcome I guess. Ivana

That's right - better outcome with better ear. Ossified cochlea is problem because the electrode has to go smoothly in but if there is an obstacle - it is a big problem. 

• HearPeers Heroes

So the next one will be tricky!! I'm very thankful for a good surgeon!

• HearPeers Heroes

The cochlea itself is not ossified but lacks fluid and has scar tissue around it and the hearing nerve.

• HearPeers Heroes

So the next one will be tricky!! I'm very thankful for a good surgeon!

Yes - skillful surgeon is in this situation more than welcome.

• HearPeers Heroes

The cochlea itself is not ossified but lacks fluid and has scar tissue around it and the hearing nerve.

This is better situation but scar tissue can damage the electrode - this is the key problem.

• HearPeers Heroes

So what would they do about the scar tissue. Just hypothetically speaking.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ossification, scar tissue and lack of fluid are all things that concern our surgeons, rightfully so. These issues, the fact that the ear had not processed any sound for 24 years and however else my right cochlea looked on the MRI images made my surgeon strongly feel that I would only get help speech reading out of my right ear. I almost didn't have the surgery.

However, my competent surgeon was able to get the medium electrode array inserted and in a good position. I did my part with extensive auditory training. And thanks to all of that and a bit of good luck, my right CI performs great on open set speech. In fact I am listening to an audio book right now in that ear alone as I type.

Science gives us lots of information and valid statistics on what we may expect given the situation. However, there are always the exceptions. Finally my hearing falls in an exception group that is positive!

We will never know what our CIs can bring to us until we do our part. Sometimes we just get lucky.

• HearPeers Heroes

So what would they do about the scar tissue. Just hypothetically speaking.

It is a matter how cochlea looks like on the CT or MRI; and of course it is up to the skillness of the surgeon - whether find it is worth of the risk. It is not absolute contraindication without a thorough examination of the patient's CT or MRI scan. Usually, not both cochleas are in same conditions - that's why surgeons choose better ear for the first implantation believing this will get better result. Anything above that - is up to the patient. That's why this is an active co-operation, not just a visit to your haircut. 

If it is really too much ossified it will not be able to transfer the signal - there are, however, cases where people was implanted with the ABI because the result was not achieved. Of course, this I can explain to you only hypothetically because neither my teachers nor me were in this position - this is really a question for only few surgeons in the world and a very tough question. If both cochleas are equally bad shape, lots of surgeon would even reject the patient, especially if it is 1-implant country without experience or choice for the implantation with ABI.