Expectations from 2nd Mapping

Elbras

I've been driving for many, many years. I never thought the car was that noisy. So noisy, that after my 2nd mapping yesterday, 2/15, I could not hear my husband very well while he was driving.

Now I left the Audiologist's office 10 minutes before feeling wonderful because I could hear better than I have been the past month when I was Mapped for the first time. We get into the car and onto the noisy, city streets and I am totally bewildered. So I think to myself, "food will help!" Food can be somewhat comforting when in a bewildered state. My husband and I go to a deli and it had to be the noisiest restaurant in South Carolina! "What's that noise in the background," I asked? "Rap music," says my husband. Oh my!

We start our 2 hour journey home, and my husband's voice sounds "garbled." I remembered his voice sounding garbled the 1st time I was mapped, but just to be sure, I rushed an email to my Audiologist and explain. She told me that I was hearing these sounds better but the noise will likely distract me when listening to speech. My brain needs to adjust to the new mapping.

Well, 24 hours later, I am doing so much better with my new mapping that I got 95% of the fruits correct without lip reading!!

I am a happy woman!

Elaine

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like we have another WOW! moment!  :D

Congrats Elaine!  ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes it definitely sounds like you are doing well. Remember it takes time for the mapping to get to a level of normalcy. The first three months are about getting things set for you. Your brain is adapting so it will take lots of time to get used to hearing all these sounds. Remember the three Ps practice, patience, and perseverance. So glad to hear things are going well for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course!! We all have days where we need encouragement. That's why we have this wonderful forum.

• HearPeers Heroes

Elbras

That is awesome!!! So happy for you.

Listen to your Audi. It will take time for your brain to adjust. The road noise will still be there but you will start to be able to understand speech soon enough. You are very early on in your journey but off to an awesome start. Well done