New candidate

Jdashiell

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

That must've been so scary. I'm sorry that happened and am happy that it is almost all resolved. I have not read anything similar yet but if I come across something, I will let you know.

It would be interesting if the handwriting and typing symptoms exhibit themselves first thing in the morning before you put the processor on since your brain would've had a good night's break from the stimulation.

Keep us posted.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Well. E weary of the neurologist. They are very pro medication. Keep track of your symptoms how long they last and when. Feel better and keep us posted. Hopefully it totally clears up on its own.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for sharing Cara. Hope they get things figured out. The neurologist might want a ct or mri. Curious to hear what they say. I went to a neurologist for years and never prescribed any meds.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's good Adam mine wants me to take meds. Frisium I said I'm not ready.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for sharing Cara. Hope they get things figured out. The neurologist might want a ct or mri. Curious to hear what they say. I went to a neurologist for years and never prescribed any meds.

Cara has already done a CT...

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

That must've been so scary. I'm sorry that happened and am happy that it is almost all resolved. I have not read anything similar yet but if I come across something, I will let you know.

It would be interesting if the handwriting and typing symptoms exhibit themselves first thing in the morning before you put the processor on since your brain would've had a good night's break from the stimulation.

Keep us posted.

Mary Beth

Mary Beth,

Like Cara described, audi and doctors suspected TIA: a transitory ischaemic attack - it is less than 24h condition which looks like stroke but very mildly and usually resolves within 24h. They investigated as possible consequence of the operation not the activation. ;)

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1910519-overview

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara, I hope this all works out for you. It's great that you have such proactive support from your team. Please keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Right hand means left hemisphere after crossing the midway.

Mmm... Strange languages? :)

I know, Ivana, that strange languages thing sounds like I need to visit a psychiatrist first

Thanks it was not coprolalia... :)

You are correct (as always) a right hand means a left hemisphere. But I thought that changes in my fine motor skills from the right side still can be related to my right ear because (if it is true) about half of the auditory pathway fibers cross the midline while another half ascend on the same side of the brain. And this is should be the same for afferent and referent pathway. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi to everybody.

I am very optimistic that I had no TIA condition. I even have no one of the risk factors related to this condition.

Still believe that my "symptoms" were just a sign of functional reorganization in my brain due to a new stimulating pattern. I do feel great.

I hope a neurologist will check the function of my brain as the structure was checked already. So, perhaps EEG is a maximum I can dream of :)

Kara, just like you, I not going to take any medication just because docs prescribe it to me. I always do my researches to decide if I want to take some meds or not.

There was a fanny situation in ER. The doc told me that it is unlikely I have any balance problem considering the heels on my shoes. My counterargument was that it is also unlikely that a person with cerebral circulation problem can use such equipment.

Then, my husband spoiled everything saying that sometimes the people with disturbed cerebral circulation make a very bed decision which is the case here because of my passion to the high heels :) So, I got a CT scan because of him :wacko:

So far I have only one problem - how to adjust my daily routine and reorganize priorities to be able to squeeze in my extra CI curriculum. Everything look like necessary and important to get rid of. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm glad you are feeling better. Good luck at your mapping appointment.

• HearPeers Heroes

Want to say sorry to jdashiell as we clattered his topic with my stuff. Sorry J. Dashiell.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes you sound a lot like me! Hence the same name!! Lol also sorry to jdashell we really went off topic here.

• HearPeers Heroes

I know, Ivana, that strange languages thing sounds like I need to visit a psychiatrist first

Thanks it was not coprolalia... :)

You are correct (as always) a right hand means a left hemisphere. But I thought that changes in my fine motor skills from the right side still can be related to my right ear because (if it is true) about half of the auditory pathway fibers cross the midline while another half ascend on the same side of the brain. And this is should be the same for afferent and referent pathway. 

Oh no - I am mortal like anybody else and make mistakes as fast as everyone else...;)

Well, I wrote how story goes in general - I do not see how your right ear would be directly connected with your ear. My theory would circle about possible blood clot which causes TIA and indirectly fine motor skill deficiency.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara,

Glad to see you are doing well.

As Ivana says need to be sure there was no blood clot during surgery. Are you getting an angiography with the CT?

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank yo, Hadron. The angiography showed no any signs of hemorrhage, embolism, thrombosis, or aneurysm. They checked my carotid arteries, too - no any stenosis was found. The number of neurological tests showed nothing.

I understand, that someday I will start deteriorating. It is inevitable. But hopefully, not this time :)

Mary Beth, sorry, forgot to answer you question. I noticed all that strange things about 3-4 hours AFTER I put my CI on. It was definitely not a first thing in the morning - I wake up very-very early so I do a lot of things before getting to work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Surgery was last Thursday. Pain has been slight. no dizziness, no nausea. So I guess I am lucky.

My ear and scar have a little discomfort but definitely manageable with Tylenol. 

I followup with surgeon this Thursday.

Now I am looking forward to getting the processors and the mapping ...!!

• HearPeers Heroes

So happy that everything went so well. Now you get to test your patience while you wait for activation day. Smile .

• HearPeers Heroes

That is awesome!!! Now the wait begins. Welcome to the cyborg family :D

• HearPeers Heroes

That's a great feeling. The worst is over except for the patience part!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

No apologies necessary. I was busy living ;-) life goes on...

I flew without any problems, I am serving pretty well with hearing on one side with my hearing aid while I wait for my processor activation.

I meet with the ENT this afternoon and will find out how soon I can get activated. I am, as you know, quite anxious!

• HearPeers Heroes

Let us know your activation date!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes we know!!! Good luck today!!!