Traveling with your CI

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

As everybody knows by now, I just got back from a cross country trip. Thought I would add some of my experiences in dealing with my CI and airport security. A few things surprised me.

I did not check in any bags. I had one carry on. In this bag, I had plenty of extra batteries. My FM system, fine tuner and my iPad. Plus my DAI cables. I brought everything as I did not know what they would want to use, if anything.

To my surprise, my bag went through the X-ray machine and the TSA agent didn't even bat an eye at the contents.

Instead of the hassle of being patted down, I decided to go through the X-ray scanner. Again I had my Medel card in hand ready to explain my processors. I went through without a hitch. I figured they would at least ask me about the processors but they didn't even give me a funny look. I got no feed back from the X-ray machine and my processors worked fine. As did the rest of my equipment when I got to the hotel.

I basically had the exact same experience on the way back from Arizona. It is always good to have your Medel patient card handy just in case of a question but I would say feel free to fly without any hesitation. At the very least, you might be asked about them.

Funny thing is that the only time I had a question asked, it was about my socks LOL. I was wearing injinji socks on my way back and the agent at the X-ray asked if I liked them as he was thinking about getting a pair.

So there ya have it. If you are gonna travel via air, you should have no worries, that is unless you wear funny socks :D

• HearPeers Heroes

What kind of socks are these? :)

Well, I thought they might ask just for batteries - I know that securities don't like them particularly. Usually ask for them during the international trips.

• HearPeers Heroes

No problem at all with the batteries

www.injinji.com

• HearPeers Heroes

Same experiences here while traveling domestically. No problem through the scanners at all and no questions asked.

• HearPeers Heroes

Would like to go through the scanner but hip replacements set off bells. Also was asked to turn processor off on takeoff and landing.

• HearPeers Heroes

I do not turn off my processors during take offs or landings. They are not Bluetooth entertainment devices but my ears. I want to hear during take off and landing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, sandy they cannot ask you to turn them off. My guess is they thought they were a radio or phone

• HearPeers Heroes

Although it is not a CI, my BB is still an implant and I also think that security can not ask you Sandy to turn off your processor - I go through the scanner and if I hear the signal I politely tell to the security person that I have a hearing aid and can not turn it off. In that case they ask me if I allow them to check me with a hand scanner what I always allow them; it helps them to be sure that they isolate the signal spot.

Never had anything more than this. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I went to Vancouver last year with only my ha's and I told them I had hearing aids they patted me down. They were more worried about my shoes than my ha's.

• HearPeers Heroes

I went to Vancouver last year with only my ha's and I told them I had hearing aids they patted me down. They were more worried about my shoes than my ha's.

Well, you haven't seen some action movies recently :P there are lots of stuff you can put in your heels! :D

• 1 month later...

Dear Adam

Just show airport guard your medel card so they will not let you pass through xray gate just now I came from Malaysia and I went in my trip on more than 6 airports everything was fine and they knew the CI people should be not pass through xray gate it's depands on airport I thought.

• HearPeers Heroes

iHM24

I actually do have me card in my wallet. I didn't really need it. The security was more curious. I had a chance while getting my stuff together to explain how it worked he was fascinated. Then we talked about my socks of all things :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ,

We didn't receive any MEDEL ID CARD from hospital for our son, who got implanted recently.

Will you kindly tell us how and where should we ask to get one?

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello ,

We didn't receive any MEDEL ID CARD from hospital for our son, who got implanted recently.

Will you kindly tell us how and where should we ask to get one?

Thanks

Hi,

I would advise you to use this list, although I presume that you're in the U.S.:http://www.medel.com/en/contact-offices/

• HearPeers Heroes

I didn't get mine till activation. Maybe that's why.

• HearPeers Heroes

I didn't get mine till activation. Maybe that's why.

Interesting... In Croatia we give our patients these cards immediately after the implantation.

• HearPeers Heroes

My cards (I got two of them) were inside the box with all MedEl stuff I got after surgery. One card was inside the box from the internal part of implant, another one was inside a small travel case.

• HearPeers Heroes

I received mine at activation and keep it in my wallet.

• HearPeers Heroes

I keep mine in my wallet as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine is ... mmm...somewhere... :huh:  <_<

• HearPeers Heroes

Guess you better find that one!!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I got mine, the morning after surgery. Been in my wallet ever since.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine is also - just kiddin' Kara!  :D   :D   ;)