Lisa222

Hi there 

I’m now 37 years old and I’ve had hearing aids since I was 5 years old. My hearing has got worse gradually over the years and now it’s practically gone. I am waiting on cochlear implants and I’m nervous and anxious just looking for info and to connect with others in similar situation. This is the first time I have ever joined anything like this but now I struggle more these days I thought it would be good to connect with others that understand. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lisa222

Welcome from Scotland!

we are definitely a friendly group.  Ask any questions you may have.

Have you already been approved for cochlear implants?  Will you be getting one side done or both?

Here is a link to a captioned video of my CI story if you are interested.  It’s an amazing journey.

Wishing you the best!

Hi thank you so much. So I’ve been approved for one now only as I get by with lip reading but I have hearing loss on both ears. One has slightly more but not much. I have been approved but due to covid there  is a delay in waiting list. Have you got CI then? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lisa222

Yes I have two CIs now and they have been life changing.

Which processor will you get?

Welcome, Lisa! It is quite a big leap of faith when living with hearing aids is what you've known most of your life. Hopefully once your time in the queue comes, the process will go all smoothly!

• Like 2

Welcome Lisa, You came to the right place. This forum has helped me to take the decision to go for CI.

I almost relate to your story, 37 years old, have bilateral profound hearing loss, using hearing aids since age 23 but now it's of no use. 

I have my surgery planned next Saturday. Will be getting CI in my left ear to start with. 

It's normal to be nervous and anxious, it's human nature when it comes to take a big decision like this. But it will get better as you get more information and talk to more people who have it.

Hope you will get it over soon. 

Hiya lisa!!!

I was 64 when i just got so tired of expensive hearing aids that helped me hop along. I had a very physical job, my boss was hard on me. We carried a cell phone for customer contact and i couldnt hear it or if i did answer couldnt understand. I had a pair of barely working oticons. I worked so hard, then my boss wrote me up! She told my co workers to watch me, keep the phone away from me, it was a new department and i cant type the word i call her. I was sooooo depressed.

I retired, quit, and took myself to university otarlyngology department on my own reference. I tested about 50 percent in both ears, doc said what i choose is what he will do.

So i eagerly said CI and left ear please!

Its a journey im loving!

I hope that waiting list gets short and you can begin your walk! Or run!

Theres a bunch of historical postings here, everyone is different in all but one thing, we support our hear peers!!!

@Lisa222  Hi Lisa,  I wore hearing aids since age 2 and grew up with a profound hearing loss.  It took a long time to qualify for a CI since I did well with hearing aids.  The rest of my hearing bottomed out when I was 39.  I am bilateral, 5 years.  Second surgery was 8 months after the first.   When it happened, I lost the sound of birds and being able to talk on the phone with clients without assistance from my coworkers.  After getting activated, I had to learn to be patient with myself with rehab.  It is a journey, not a sprint.  Also, that you are your own advocate in your hearing journey.  

In my case, I was deaf in the high frequencies but had good use of my low frequency.  I was amazed how sounds changed when you have the full spectrum of sound and how much sound I was missing.  Sounds appeared when you least expected it.  It was tears of joy when I finally heard the birds chirped again after the long winter.  Also, I didn't know that my screen door squeaked, how soda fizzed.  I was also amazed that I could hear outside of the house, when it rains and when my neighbors are shoveling the snow.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey shannon!

Did you know you were going to be double implanted when you first were implanted? I am approaching 1 year since first implanted, i have like an all day map and research event coming up and in the back of my mind wondering....i dont truly want to spend $$ on a really good ha unless im sure i will be using it.

@Dianna, Both ears qualified for CI and was told at my CI evaluation not to make a decision on the manufacturer of hearing aids but the brand of CI since I would be bilateral.  I had my "good ear" implanted first and within 3 months my brain no longer understood my hearing aid ear.  At that appointment, I was added to the surgical calendar for the second CI and waited until mid-summer for the second surgery.  I continued to wear the hearing aid for auditory nerve stimulation until surgery.  I understand your hesitation about spending money on the next hearing aid, I had just gotten new hearing aids nine months before the rest of my hearing bottomed out.  

• Like 2

Thank you for that info shannon, it helps alot. My first spring with ci is awesome! The humming birds are my fav....