Sonnet Wireless

tjwarney

I am a bit confused about the new Sonnet and it's wireless capability.  I know that Med-El is waiting for the FCC to approve this feature.  Does that mean when it is available we will need to get a different kind of neck loop and not have to use the tele coil button on the finder?  I sure hope that I understand this correctly. I use me cell phone a lot.  It will be great not having the buzz in my CI from being on tele coil. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi,

MedEl has not released any info yet on this future wireless technology. I don't believe it is out anywhere yet. This is not just a US waiting game.

We can only speculate at this point since there has not been any official info.

However, wireless will mean that we will not need to use telecoil. So that much we do know.

I can not use the T on my cell phone. It has a terrible buzz even though it is rated high for telecoil. I use the T on my landline without a problem. I have learned to use my cell phone on M and it sounds fine. You may want to try that to see if it helps the buzzing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I don't use telecoil at all. My land landline makes a buzzing noise. My cell doesn't. But I don't need to use telecoil as there is no feedback like with a HA. You need to with the neck loop but not if your just using it to your ear.

Thanks, I use my cell phone through a bluetooth while driving.  That is why currently I have to use the tele coil feature.  As I said hopefully when approved I won't have to do that.

• HearPeers Heroes

As far as I know, Medel does not want to partner with another company to develop this. I don't think it has been submitted to any regulatory agencies yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

I get a much clearer signal with my FM system than I do with the telecoil

• HearPeers Heroes

As far as I know, Medel does not want to partner with another company to develop this. I don't think it has been submitted to any regulatory agencies yet.

Interesting because Med-EL did make a partnership with Siemens when they decided to connect BB/VSB with the bluetooth streamer - miniTek.

Does this mean that they are trying to develop their own standard so they can better predict problems and get faster the solutions?

Interesting times on our horizons... :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

As far as I know, they do not want to partner with an ha company like cochlear and AB did. At least for CI technology. Not sure about other devices like the BB.

• HearPeers Heroes

Can't remember who cochlear partnered with. AB went with Phonak. I think this is why Medel is lagging behind in this area. Who knows, it might take a good bit longer to launch but might be superior when it is launched.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cochlear partners with GN Resound. AB and Phonak are owned by the same company so a natural partnership.

Hopefully we will hear something in the near future from MED-EL.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

As far as I know, they do not want to partner with an ha company like cochlear and AB did. At least for CI technology. Not sure about other devices like the BB.

I, actually, find this a good decision because when you partner with one company other standards (and patients) usually suffer.  I have already written that VSB/BB is pretty limited with miniTEK although it gives to both devices certain freedom but not that ultimate for a patient to choose. Although we did pair my BB with a miniTEK, it was not easy at all - we had lot of troubleshooting.

• HearPeers Heroes

Can't remember who cochlear partnered with. AB went with Phonak. I think this is why Medel is lagging behind in this area. Who knows, it might take a good bit longer to launch but might be superior when it is launched.

I support this if it happens - I believe that companies can more easily resolve problems if technologies are their ownership. What other did is not necessarily the best - who knows, we'll se. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Waiting excitedly for MedEl to announce their wireless product!

• HearPeers Heroes

We will see. I am very interested to see what they come up with

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Mary Beth, do you feel difference in quality of hearing comparing OPUS2 (concerto implant)  with Sonnet (Synchrony second implant) you have?

• HearPeers Heroes

Well that is a tricky question because my ears have different hearing histories. I had used an Opus2 on my concert side for 9 months and then switched it to a Sonnet. I performed great with the Opus2 and perform great with the Sonnet. The Sonnet has a more natural tone quality for me and many new features which are not yet available in the US yet. My synchrony side has used a Sonnet and a Rondo. The Rondo is the same platform as the Opus2, just a different design. This new side does well with both the Sonnet and the Rondo.

Right now I hear in a very balanced way. My CIs seem balanced in volume and I perform similarly with each one alone.

I like that the synchrony can handle a stronger MRI. I can't do that because I also have a concert.

• HearPeers Heroes

I used opus 2 for 4+ years.

Upgraded to sonnet a few months ago.

I'd say there is a difference. I have the same programs and none of the new bells and whistles of the Sonnet yet. I think there is a difference. At least to me. There technically may not be but I guess perception is reality

• HearPeers Heroes

Psychoacoustics really matters - that's why the neuroplasticity is so important and real.

Wonderous patfs of our brain-greatness...