msyook

Hello, my name is Michelle Yook, advocate from Deaf Counseling Advocacy and Referral Agency (DCARA).  I am working with individuals who are hard of hearing, late deafened or deaf blind, and I hope to learn issues in your community as well.  Thank you very much for accepting me here.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to Hearpeers!! Please ask as many questions as you feel comfortable.

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting company Michele.

I looked it up online. Haven't seen one like it

Hello together!

I would like to introduce myself in this forum.

My name is Nadja. I am 39 years old and I live in Austria (Vorarlberg). I am born with a hearing impairment. Left side deaf and on the right side I am highly hearing impaired.

Now one knew that till I came to the playshool. In the age of 11 years I got my first hearing aid. I remember that really good because I felt so bad. Children can be very nasty

and they said that I am a old woman. That was not nice. A few months later I had a sudden hearing loss. The doctors said, that I would never be able to hear again. My

parents were shocked, but I did it :). I fought for my hearing and I was happy that I got it back two months later. One year later, an accident with my bike. I felt on my right

side and lost once more my hearing  :( but did not gave up! I started once more to fight for my hearing. And yes I got once more a chance. Years later  I visited the business

shool and now I am working as a bookkeeper in a bank. Last the I lost once more a lot of my hearing. Now I only had the option to make this difficult operation to get the CI.

I was very shaky because I did not know how it would be after this operation. My friend helped me during this time and also my family and my whole relationship was standing

behind me. It was a good feeling to know that I am not alone. Now I have my Rondo since October 2014 and I do not regret this decision! Last year I celebrated my wedding

and I also found a wonderful sticker with red roses for my Rondo. The people admired me for that because I did not covered my Rondo for the wedding.

Now that was a little bit about my situation and life!

Nadja

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nadja, nice to meet you.

I hope you feel comfortable here. Reading your story, I think you should be proud of you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for sharing Nadja. Great story. I agree with Cara. You should be proud of your hearing journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Nadia - we're pretty close geographically: I am from Croatia. ;)

I am a recipient of the Bonebridge not a cochlear implant but I like to hang out here with our, an Implant Ladies&Gentlemen Club :D

By profession I am an otorhinolaryngologist but we have all proffesions like physicists, accountant manager, teachers.., very diverse gang I would say.

It is so inspiring to read about human spirit which rises over the ashes of our existence - it dramaticalky changes our world but also world of people who know us.

Write as much as you wish - we are listening!

And - welcome to the Hearpeers! :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nadja, welcome to Hearpeers. Your story is definitely an inspiration to others.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

We like that you like hanging out with us, CI people!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

That's true, Ivana, we definitely enjoy your company.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

We're lonely with out you Ivana!

• Like 1

Hello Nadja,

What a wonderful story!

I am so glad to know that there are fighters out there who want to hear!

Welcome to Hearpeers!

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

We're lonely with out you Ivana!

Ivana,

We like that you like hanging out with us, CI people!

That's true, Ivana, we definitely enjoy your company.

Thank you ladies! :)

I like thw way you adopted this lonely BB wolf and a free shooter...;)

Hello Michelle Yook,

Welcome to HearPeers !

I have worked with a few Deaf Advocacy groups when I started a hearing impaired chapter under SHHH* for Philadelphia back in the '80.

My group helped advocate ALDS in places of assembly like churches, theaters, etc before 1992 Disability Act. Met some wonderful people who were productive in spite of their disability(ies).

*Now called HLAA

Elaine

Hello Elaine!

Yes, I know HLAA was formerly called SHHH.  I find it interesting that you started a chapter under SHHH for Philadelphia back in the '80 and glad to know about it!

I would love to learn more about how your group had advocated, and I am sure you have many stories.  

Thank you for sharing!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers!! I am sure you can already tell this is a great group of people. Each of us have different stories. Feel free to ask any questions about our situations. It's great that you now have the Rondo.

I am bilaterally implanted and have 2 sonnets

Adam