Binaural Fusion and Listening Effort in Children Who Use Bilateral Cochlear Implants: A Psychoacoustic and Pupillometric Study

Ivana Marinac

• HearPeers Heroes

Reading regularly scientific journals I have found this text. I think it is pretty actual - it speaks about binaural integration of bilateral hearing implant recipients:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0117611#sec030

with one correction: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0141945

NJoy! :)

• HearPeers Heroes

This was a very complex article a bit beyond me with all the lingo. Lol!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting. I wonder what the difference would be if the child was prelingually deaf

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely part of science where the light of camera has lot to do... :)

Now when we have bilateral implantations almost as usual, we can investigate what is happening with a brain in these occasions...

• HearPeers Heroes

This was a very complex article a bit beyond me with all the lingo. Lol!!

Don't torture yourself - even if you read Abstract and Conclusion you will be more educate than a substantial number of doctors, Kara! ;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

From a completely subjective point of view.....I find it is much easier to listen bilaterally.

• HearPeers Heroes

I do too. For going to bilateral HAs to a CI and a HA. I struggle with it sometimes and it's quite frustrating. That's hey I needed to convince the Drs at all costs to implant a second one!! So onwards we go!! P p p. I know Ivana and Mary Beth. Also Adam!! And Cara!! Oh and Sandy!!

• HearPeers Heroes

From a completely subjective point of view.....I find it is much easier to listen bilaterally.

Yes - it is much easier.

Actuallly, the brunt part of this study reveals that if it is planned to implant the person with 2 devices, it is much better to do that at once or without too much of elapsed time between the implantations so the neural pathways between two sides of brain develop equally. On that way it is achieved the most optimal way for balanced and simultaneous development so a person hear 1 signal not 2. I would compare it with the situation when your eyes are not aligned well so you do not haver a binoucular sight or you even see 2 pictures.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well we were meant to hear with ears. Guess it makes sense that we do with CIs

• HearPeers Heroes

Well we were meant to hear with ears. Guess it makes sense that we do with CIs

Yes of course Adam, but it is different for you who have possibility of developing neural pathways right when it was programmed because you had normal hearing than.

You can never loose it completely, but children who have never pass that step could have a problem.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's right Ivana that's why I was wondering how it would affect a prelingually deaf child.

I just realized in my last post. I meant to say that we were meant to hear with two ears. Forgot to type 2. Of course ears are for hearing :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Until a year ago when I got my right CI, my right ear was solely for holding up my glasses!

Tomorrow is the first birthday of my right CI!

• HearPeers Heroes

Happy hearing CI birthday Mary Beth!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Happy "reincarnation" day to your ear! And good luck with your further achievements! I am sure, Mary Beth, you can reach the sky with all your knowledge and compassion. Thank you for inspiration! I am going to follow you - my warmest wishes.

From Russia with love :wub:

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Cara, Sandy and Kara,

It's been a great day. One of the things I like so much about these boards is connecting with people from all different cultures. Wishing each of you a year full of wow moments!

Thanks again.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh... I am a bit late but... Yay! Happy anniversary! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

That's right Ivana that's why I was wondering how it would affect a prelingually deaf child.

I just realized in my last post. I meant to say that we were meant to hear with two ears. Forgot to type 2. Of course ears are for hearing :D

Well - yes... Very interesting story is developing right now because an accelerated development and using of cochlear implantantation science started to evolve faster neuroscience in the part of research of neural development. Although we knew before that brain develops long after a child is born, we could not visualize that step forward. Now we can - that is why these days are soooo interesting for science of hearing and neural integration. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Sorry Marybeth, I'm late to the party, very happy for you!!!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana

Have you seen the documentary Sound and Fury?

It is about a girl who was born deaf some of the family was deaf some hearing. Back then a huge debate in the deaf community about CIs

Anyhow, she was for the most part non verbal. I believe she was 10 when she got her CI

They did a follow up called Sound and Fury 6 years later. She was then 16 and her speech was amazing. Considering the obstacles she faced.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Check out her Tedx talk given at Georgetown called Heather's World.

• HearPeers Heroes

Talking about: 

Very interesting... :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana

Have you seen the documentary Sound and Fury?

It is about a girl who was born deaf some of the family was deaf some hearing. Back then a huge debate in the deaf community about CIs

Anyhow, she was for the most part non verbal. I believe she was 10 when she got her CI

They did a follow up called Sound and Fury 6 years later. She was then 16 and her speech was amazing. Considering the obstacles she faced.

No, I haven't - I will try to find it on the internet. Tnx for a tip! :)