New Sonnet cable

tjwarney

Would like to know if anyone else is having trouble with the Sonnet cable.  Med-El made the cable 1.25 inches longer than the Opus 2 cable.  I really do not know why they did this.  That does not sound like much, but for me it is.  The cable does not lay as flat against my head.  Being a male with short hair the cable sticks out.   Also my glasses seem to get caught in it.  Just wondering.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah many people are commenting on the longer cable for the Sonnet compared to the Opus2. No one seems to like it. Oddly enough MedEl lists the short Opus2 cable as being 7.5 cm and the short Sonnet cable as being 8.5 cm which makes it seem like the Sonnet cable is only 1 cm longer. That is not the case. If you lay both cables out side by side, the new Sonnet cable is much longer than the Opus2 cable. I am perplexed by the way MedEl is measuring them to get only a 1 cm difference.

That being said, here's what I do (and I wear glasses as well)...I aim the D-coil so that the cable is at the back of my head. This lets the loop sit against my hair and stay out of the way of my glasses.

The new DL-coil is listed at 6.5 cm in length so it may be 2 cm shorter than the present cable depending on how MedEl measures that one.

No one who had the Opus2 cable seems to like this new length. I'm not sure why it was designed this way.

• HearPeers Heroes

Measured my cable - it is exact 6.5 cm between the reinforced ends. My Sonnet has D-coil, not DL-coil. It was ordered in January 2016. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

The cable designs are different so the actual difference in the length of the cable when attached to the processors is quite a bit more than 1 cm. I posted a pic for you on the Facebook site since I haven't figured out how to post pics here.

MedEl is probably measuring the way you say. However the Sonnet cable is much longer than 1 cm more than the Opus2 cable that would seem to be expected in the labeling of 8.5 cm versus 7.5 cm.

People who never had the shorter Opus2 cable aren't missing it. Smile. People who had it, wish the new cable was the same length.

The picture may help you see what we are missing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok, got it  - the entire cable length is 8.5 cm if measured with reinforced ends and plugs.

I was only implanted last year, so never had the Opus2. However I've also found the length of the Sonnet cable to be annoying. Does anyone know if the shorter cable for DL-Coil can be put on a D-Coil?

• HearPeers Heroes

​Mary Beth, you can find an instruction how to post pictures on this website in the "Signature" topic posted in Miscellaneous subforum (exchange between Adam and Matt).

• HearPeers Heroes

Pictures which should be published in the forum should be, at first publish on, for instance / Photobucket than just copy/paste link in the post.

If you wish a photo for a profile - it is stored directly on the size but a pic should be resized according to the rules of the Forum.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have no issues with the cable. I can see it more clearly in the mirror but haven't had any problems with it.

• HearPeers Heroes

They might have made it a little longer to accommodate those who had to have their implant placed a little further from the ear. I would imagine, they will come out with different lengths soon

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine is right above my ear. It sits on top of the processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

Each person is a little different. All depends on the anatomy of the patient and where they can get it safely.