MAP preferences

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Recently we have had a lot of posts about various MAP settings.  It’s important to remember that we are all different and we prefer different MAP settings.  It’s great that now in ASM3 with Sonnet2 and Rondo3 many of these MAP settings can be customized and we can have MAPs with and without these settings on our processors at the same time.

It may be helpful to think about what the various settings aim to do. They mostly aim to help us hear better in noise.  They do that by suppressing sounds considered to be noise or by focusing on directions considered to be speech.  

windblock- off/mild/strong

ambient noise reduction-off/mild/strong

transient noise reduction- off/mild/strong

Mic settings of- Omni/natural/adaptive 

AND two options which let our processors move between settings based on the processor deciding if we are listening to speech in quiet, speech in noise, we are in noise, we are in quiet, we are listening to music:  these are adaptive intelligence mild and adaptive intelligence strong.  We can also have adaptive intelligence turned off and our processors will not automatically switch.

It takes some trial and error in our real lives to find what works best for us.

3D1F70BF-B76C-4BA5-811E-1CBBC5E00BAD.jpeg

Thank you mary beth!

Yes we are all different. I just dont know what to ask for, i am getting the idea though...its mine and mine only, just going to trust my audi. I believe i am ok on current settings, just getting greedy for more lol. We shall see on wed how im doing, preparing for all day testing at any rate.

Again thank you for this, ive been searching.  💘 

Hope you are feeling well my internet friend

Thank you Mary,,, 

an interesting topic,,, I'll check it with my audiologist ,,, I really severing for wind noise,, 

Thanks again 

Interesting thing about ai. This morning i drove 6 mi on 2 lane and 30 on highway. Starting out radio seemed loud. I rolled window down, outside noises drowned out radio. As i drove, the wind and road sound lessened and the radio went back to sounding like i had the window closed. I could listen to radio and have window open!!!!

I dont drive this car often but i wanted to test ai mild. It works!!!! I had no company but did understand most lyrics!

Wind block at mild

Edited by Dianna
Add
  • Like 2

On 8/10/2022 at 4:31 PM, Dianna said:

Interesting thing about ai. This morning i drove 6 mi on 2 lane and 30 on highway. Starting out radio seemed loud. I rolled window down, outside noises drowned out radio. As i drove, the wind and road sound lessened and the radio went back to sounding like i had the window closed. I could listen to radio and have window open!!!!

I dont drive this car often but i wanted to test ai mild. It works!!!! I had no company but did understand most lyrics!

Wind block at mild

These noise suppression programs are amazing. However I was with 3 other people in a fairly noisy place and felt that it was actually reducing the speech volume as well. My cockatiels turn the volume off totally. 

Haha, well lts been almost a year, i remember this one bug in a bush near my outside spot that was louder than any sound around me. I figured it was a newbie thing. Well the thing is back! It sounds nearly the same!! And ai makes it louder!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

If someone starts speaking to you while that loud sound is happening, what happens?  Does AI focus on the speech and suppress the sound?

Hi mb,

Im usually alone, outside with many sounds, but when a person approaches, i hear their approaching sound, their voice, and the bugger chirper does seem to lessen. It happened last night, my nephew approached, asked what i was hearing, i said mostly that dam bug! BUT i heard his shuffling steps and voice! I heard every word he said, then.....i had to whisper, is that a fox,??? And he whispered back through a screen, yes its a fox!!!!!!!! And that dam bug was less during our whispers. Does this make sense? 

I tend to not notice as much and as soon when irritating sounds "cure" themselves, i probably tend to be more aware of what my device is not correcting, human nature i guess.

So im still using ai mild, sounds i hear more of since paying attention is footsteps and vehicles that i could not hear until they were on top of me pre implant. I live in the country on a gravel road. Pre implant never heard before sight. Now i hear and identify before sight and i do believe its due to ai. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

Years ago I had a widex HA that was amazing.  While hiking in the woods on a trail with friends, all walking one behind the other, it picked up their voices very well.  Whenever we were all quiet, it focused on the sounds of nature like bird songs.  Then when someone spoke again, the bird song was suppressed and speech was center stage.  It also did great with mechanical noise.  Starting up the lawnmower would be loud but within seconds it was quieted.  That HA had the best automatic sound management system I have ever experienced.  I was sad when my hearing loss advanced to the point that none of the widex HA models worked for me any longer.

6 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Dianna

Years ago I had a widex HA that was amazing.  While hiking in the woods on a trail with friends, all walking one behind the other, it picked up their voices very well.  Whenever we were all quiet, it focused on the sounds of nature like bird songs.  Then when someone spoke again, the bird song was suppressed and speech was center stage.  It also did great with mechanical noise.  Starting up the lawnmower would be loud but within seconds it was quieted.  That HA had the best automatic sound management system I have ever experienced.  I was sad when my hearing loss advanced to the point that none of the widex HA models worked for me any longer.

Thank you mb, that activity is more like what the majority of my days are like now, i never noticed if my oticons worked that well as the majority of my day was at work in a very large office with many cubes. I could not hear well, usual office jokes were " i heard di on the phone today" wish i had ci back then, i will check out widex for my unimplanted ear, not wanting oticon again!

Hmmm two ears with ai?

I might need to go back to work, cant wait til finally bimodal

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

I think I would consider selecting a HA brand and model that worked with dual streaming with AudioStream if I had an android phone.  If I used an iPhone I would be sure that whichever HA brand and model selected had a strong telecoil so BT streaming to Sonnet2 and the HA would be possible using the Artone BT neckloop.  And I would want to have a trial period when the HA could be returned for a full refund.

14 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Dianna

I think I would consider selecting a HA brand and model that worked with dual streaming with AudioStream if I had an android phone.  If I used an iPhone I would be sure that whichever HA brand and model selected had a strong telecoil so BT streaming to Sonnet2 and the HA would be possible using the Artone BT neckloop.  And I would want to have a trial period when the HA could be returned for a full refund.

Very good points, thank you

I think there are 3 types of programs. 

One that analyses the sounds and changes the filter to get best effect, it contains noise reduction. 

The next is straight filter that works for you and has noise reduction. 

The third is a straight filter that has no noise reduction. 

There maybe an extra function to reduce background noise which I think will work for all 3. 

Getting your audiologist to setup these programs you can get the best results. 

The intensity of background noises can be affected by the compression rate; the default in Maestro software is 3:1, but I believe the AI programs don't follow that and use their own gain control.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

It is interesting to follow the default MAP recommendations over time.  In the 7.5 years since my activation, they have changed a bit.