The period before activation

Hila

How did everyone deal with life during the time after surgery and before activation? I have a feeling it's going to be long four weeks. I'll be without hearing aid on the implanted side and I feel it's going to be very difficult. Can anyone share thoughts or experiences? Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Time after surgery and before activation for my first CI, sounded no different to me because my right ear had not been processing any sound for 24 years. I was eager to get activated and very curious about what everything would sound like so I busied myself getting ready for auditory training.

Time after surgery and before activation for my second CI did sound different in a way as I no longer heard anything when my CI was removed. But I had been functioning with one CI for several months by then since my HA was of little help so speech sounded the same to me.

Rest up. Once you are activated, you will be very busy!

• HearPeers Heroes

I would say that it was a bit difficult for me. It was four weeks before my activation. I couldn't hear well. My surgery had some unexpected complications so I was actually on bed rest for the first two weeks. So I didn't do much or go very far without someone. I really relied on lip reading and avoided strangers. But afterwords was so awesome that I can't really explain it fully!! So rest up and be patient for the ear to heal. Best if luck!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I never found much difference before activation as I heard very little before surgery. As the others have said, rest up because once you are activated, you will be busy. Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

:)

Well, although I could hear with my HA as well as before the op (it is a BB not a CI) - I can not deny that inspite of my excitement I have worried pretty much. Implantation was a modification and we did not know how well it will be, even activation was a special event. Few days had to pass so I could see a real benefit of the operation - the period of first few days when plasticity started to act although nobody prepared me to that.

But, with help from the forum was enormous. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

The period between my surgery and activation had changed nothing for me as my implanted ear had heard nothing for 10 years. I don't know about your work situation, but it was important for me to let my coworkers know that I'm not going to hear right after the surgery and even during some period of time after the activation. Actually, nobody got it at the beginning, but it was much easier for me to explain it everybody again when I got back after surgery.

And you know, if you fell uncomfortable in some situation - just smile wider and people will be happy to accommodate all needed for you :)

Hi friends, thanks for sharing your experiences. At first I just wanted to go through this like nothing happened, but now I figured I need to ease up and give myself as much time as needed. Hope it will all work out. Cara, it's funny because I've read all your entries and laughed when my co-worker asked me the other day if I'd hear better by next Tuesday... I remember reading your entry about that. I let everyone know that, in fact, it would be a lot worse before it gets better, and maybe it won't get much better at all. I just really hope it will. I've been reading it would take couple of years for some things to click. I know it won't be a normal hearing so overall I don't have high expectations but I do dare to dream about a more socially involved life and less missing out on life. Thank you all for reading and thanks for the support. I definitely will keep you posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nikki,

I hope you have results that get you everything you are hoping for. It's good that you realize it will take work and time. It's been one year since my first implant and my life has changed in so many ways. I hope you have the same results.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Nikki I wish you all the best!! Friday will fly by and you will be a CI-Borg like the rest of us!! Ask as many question as you feel comfortable. That's what we're here for!!

• HearPeers Heroes

All the best on Friday, Nikki. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. Just remember the 3Ps - Patience, Practice and Perseverance. This has helped me through the last two years. Also, the support from this forum is phenomenal. We are here to support each other, so feel free to "talk" out your joys and frustrations.

• HearPeers Heroes

Just to add - if you do not allow yourself to dream, you can miss some pretty interesting stuff around you. Never loose hope that something can be better than it is. Rationalization is ok, but after some time - on this way you will allow yourself to surprise yourself each day.

From-Forever-Young-Book_zps47h9xjzm.jpg

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

That's a cool past Ivana!!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Absolutely, Ivana. Just look what dreaming has done for each of us! And continues to do...

• HearPeers Heroes

Nikki

The anticipation grew by the day. As far as life, it didn't really change a whole lot as I didn't have any usable hearing before the surgeries in either ear.

I just ran through a million scenarios as to how the activation could go and wondered what it was going to be like.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's a cool past Ivana!!

Absolutely, Ivana. Just look what dreaming has done for each of us! And continues to do...

It is an animation of Bob Dylan*s song "Forever young..." :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I am in the 4 weeks period after surgery and before activation. It's a real struggle to hear with one ear after being binaural with has. It was a struggle being hog before but this is harder. The light at the end of the tunnel is still distant with 3+ weeks to go, but I'm looking forward to becoming CI-Borg!

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Keep us informed and remember, we are here to support you so ask whatever you need to know.

Jdashiell, I remember reading your message noting your surgery is a day before mine. Wonder how you're doing today. I www hoping to get through it like nothing happened, but it's not the case. I haven't been anywhere other than home but I had one visitor and so far I get along fine with one hearing aid. Not as bad as I feared. No expectations, but Sandy Coull, your comment is very encouraging! I hope to feel it was all worth it.

• 8 months later...

Hello , my name is Ellie I had my CI last Wednsday but i dont feel get better Im dizzy yet And cannot walk alone please let me know if it's normal. Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Elli,

I am sorry to read that you are so dizzy.  Everyone's experience post surgery is different.  Make sure you let your surgeon know.  She/he may have some recommendations that will help you.  I hope you are back to feeling like yourself soon.  

Welcome to the group.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome! Sure hope you feel better soon. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Elli

everybody reacts differently to surgery. I have heard of people having some dizziness after surgery but it did settle down. If you are still struggling with this, I would contact your doctor and let them know. Maybe they can give you some relief. So sorry you have to deal with that.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Elli,

Dizziness is a common side effect. Long after surgery I still get dizzy days on occasion. So I usually carry a small package of Meclizine with me. It stops the dizziness and let's me rest. You can get it over the counter at a drugstore or Walmart/Target. If you start taking it let your surgeon know.

• HearPeers Heroes

Same that hadron, Dizziness was my "mate" after two-three weeks. After connection these reduce a huge. Here wait four-six weeks for all heal well.