Loudness of audio systems

Cara Mia

• HearPeers Heroes

Please, enlighten me If the different brands of audio systems use the same “units” for the adjustment of  sound loudness  or each manufacturer has the different approach to the sound volume control. For example, I would like to know if the volume level of 20 is the same for my comp, home or car audio systems, TV speaker , and so on  when I listen to the same CD  or it is completely different story for each device. Cannot find any info about standardization on that.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine appear to all be different

• HearPeers Heroes

I guess it is not - in my car I have volume "ladder" up to 40, on TV 20, iPhone 16 etc.

I believe you do not have standard here.

• HearPeers Heroes

the same, seems everything sounds different.

Perhaps it make no sense to unify volume control features when there is no any possibility to unify the quality of sounding which also contributes to the sound perception.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

the same, seems everything sounds different.

Perhaps it make no sense to unify volume control features when there is no any possibility to unify the quality of sounding which also contributes to the sound perception.

Exactly - all devices are far from being equal.... I guess there is no easy way to test your personal acoustic. :)

For comparison of 'loudness' I use a sound meter app on my phone. This gives me a point of reference of how loud things are (tv, stereo, background noise etc).

• HearPeers Heroes

All of mine, tv, car radio, iPad, phone are all different

• HearPeers Heroes

For comparison of 'loudness' I use a sound meter app on my phone. This gives me a point of reference of how loud things are (tv, stereo, background noise etc).

Thank you, Ross Weiss. Good idea. Will definitely get it. Thanks again.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you, Ross Weiss. Good idea. Will definitely get it. Thanks again.

How accurate are these programs and measuring over a mobile phone?

I find the one I use to be very accurate (Sound meter - Android). It was a free app. It provides data as a number and a graph. It also provides a table with reference values (whisper, quiet park, normal conversation, phone ringtone, alarm clock, ...). 

• HearPeers Heroes

I use - Decibel Ultra - iOS/iPhone, looks little bit too smart for me, but I like having the excessive amount of data with which I do not know what to do...;)

• HearPeers Heroes

I didn't realize these apps were available. I guess there is an app for just about everything

• HearPeers Heroes

Ross, Ivana - thank you. I have a Windows phone. Spent  10 minutes in MS store - found nothing - a lot of stuff there..... In which app group should I look for that kind of apps - fitness, family, lifsetyle, medical...? We have the Android at home, but I would like to have it on my phone.

like having the excessive amount of data with which I do not know what to do... ;)

Ivana, you are funny :D

• HearPeers Heroes

I didn't realize these apps were available. I guess there is an app for just about everything

Oh no... This you will not get EVER!    :(  :rolleyes:

• HearPeers Heroes

Ross, Ivana - thank you. I have a Windows phone. Spent  10 minutes in MS store - found nothing - a lot of stuff there..... In which app group should I look for that kind of apps - fitness, family, lifsetyle, medical...? We have the Android at home, but I would like to have it on my phone.

Ivana, you are funny :D

aargh...  :lol:  :lol:

Yeah... I doubt you wish to run around with your PC at your back!  :D  :D  :P

I'll see tomorrow at my work where I have a Windows based  PC. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, Ivana, thank you so much! Very helpful!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Sure you are, and not only techno :) Thanks one more time

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you have Samsung mobile phones, then use PLAY STORE to download many sound meter apps

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes - Google Android system...

• HearPeers Heroes

I have an IPhone, will check to see if the AppStore has something like it

• HearPeers Heroes

Decibel metres? Of course there are such programes - you just need to choose which seems the most accurate to you.