No hearing after activation, only "sensations"

corina86

Hello,

I am 29 year old woman and was born profoundly deaf.

I had my CI surgery three weeks ago and now the implant was activated.

I am feeling a little down because I don't "hear" nothing, I just have these sensations in my chest instead of hearing. For now my implant is with the volume turned down, it will be gradually turned up. I tried it with the volumes higher and I had more strong "sensations", like my own voice, the voice of other people, etc. For now, I am trying to get used to it.

My question is does it get better, will I be able to hear something (like I hear with my hearing aid) ? I am confused and a little dissapointed at the moment.

Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Corina86,

It does take time to stimulate the auditory nerve. Have you tried all the programs the audiologist created for you?

There is a posting at alldeaf.com which mirrors your situation. There is good dialogue there. It should help you overcome any fears.

The link is below:

http://www.alldeaf.com/threads/activation-med-el-synchrony.123818/

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Corina. I completely understand your feelings. But you need to be patient. It takes time for our brain to comprehend what is going on. Especially if you have been profoundly deaf for a long time. There is no guarantee for any of us that the implant will work to our expectations. We can only hope that things improve. Keep In close contact with your audiologist that person is the only one who will be able asisst with the rehabilitation process. It takes lots of hard work and perseverance. Keep us posted on your journey. I wish you the best of luck. Pamper yourself. It's a tough journey!!

• HearPeers Heroes

That's a great link Hadron.

Welcome Corina,

My left ear didn't hear anything much at activation. Mostly silence when the processor was turned on for speech with an occasional marimba sound. It baffled me. That ear had a much better hearing history than my right ear and my right ear was understanding a tiny bit of speech within hours of activation. I was concerned.

My left ear continued on its own bizzare hearing journey. Marimba sounds increased. Then marimba and whale song. Still no speech. Then what can best be described as sitting on the ocean floor next to a marimba player, listening to whale songs while someone whispers to you from a boat.

The good news is, it gets better. My left ear has only been activated for 3 months and I already can have long telephone conversations, listen to podcasts and audiobooks, learn lyrics to new songs- all with my left ear alone.

Try not to be discouraged. This is a marathon. I'm a fan of auditory rehab. It helped me a lot. (Even when I was just hearing marimbas.)

Welcome and feel free to ask as many questions as you wish.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Corina and welcome to Hearpeers. As Mary Beth and Kara have said, it takes time, lots of patience, practice and perseverance. For me it has been a long and very rewarding journey. Feel free to ask any questions. We will do our best to answer them. Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Everyone Corina is not a new comer. She visited us before she was implanted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Corina, it will get better

Your brain is a muscle that is having to work on something it hasn't had to so it will take some time.

I am a runner. If I was running very little to nothing at all, then decided to run a marathon, I wouldn't be able to do it straight away. I would have to condition my leg muscles each day to get them stronger and used to running longer distances. Over time, I will have built up enough to be able to make it.

Your hearing is the same way. Your brain is trying to learn a new language so it is going to take time for your brain ( the muscle) to work hard and learn the new sounds it is getting.

I hope that makes sense

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Very interesting link Hadron - really informative....

• HearPeers Heroes

A very inspiring analogy, Adam. I will literally use it when I get frustrated with both my hearing and hip replacements - a marathon, not a sprint!