Decibel meters

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I know we have discussed decibel meters in some topic already but I don't recall which topic so I hope you don't mind that I started a new dedicated topic for it.

I downloaded a decibel meter today and it's interesting that even when everything is seemingly quiet in our home, it still registers around 30 dB! When we speak it registers between 50-60 dB. It's an interesting way to determine what decibel level the TV is set at.

For those of you who have also recently downloaded a decibel meter, what are you finding?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

My meter shows the similar results (very funny thing to play with by the way). the quiet home is about 30 dB with 10 dB up with an air heater on. A running dishwashing mashing adds about 20 dB making the total numbers as 50-54 dB. Speaking is about 55-63 dB. Outside on a balcony - 42-69 dB.

My app makes some comments on the noise level: under 30 dB is rustling leaves, over 30 dB - quiet rural setting, under 50 dB - library setting or bird calls, over 50 dB - conversation at home, 60 dB - background music. Will try to find time and watch TV tonight. And want to check how much noise are my washing machine and dryer. Will report the results.

• HearPeers Heroes

A movie in cinema was between 70-80 dB with max peak of 93 dB.

• HearPeers Heroes

Which one did you see?

• HearPeers Heroes

Shame to say - Superman vs Batman. I'd prefer to discuss with my son something like Tesla vs Edison, but sometimes it is not up to me to choose :)

• HearPeers Heroes

How did it sound. Could you understand everything?

• HearPeers Heroes

It sounds well (loud). I could understand with my both ears almost everything (with no hearing aid). Was surprised with that a lot as it was a background music and pretty emotional intense dialogs. But with just CI I could get just some phrases here and there... not so much actually. Anyway it was a good opportunity for me to listen with my processor only. I believe my word understanding was better that the result I showed during my last test :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Well that's good. I'm not there yet. I only watch at home. I love somewhat rural. So we don't have theatres with the loops up here.

• HearPeers Heroes

We need to drive about 10 miles to the nearest cinema. So, also pretty rural. And I like home TV sound better. Go to cinema only because it is a special event for my kids.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's where I send my husband. It's too expensive for me to waste money on and not enjoy. It's a personal thing I guess.

• HearPeers Heroes

Used the decibel meter app in a classroom with an energized teacher yesterday. What a range of decibel levels in his lecture!

• HearPeers Heroes

That's where I send my husband. It's too expensive for me to waste money on and not enjoy. It's a personal thing I guess.

I would like to do the same, but there is no way my husband will survive that Superman or Batman :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! My husband would quite enjoy it with the boys!!

• HearPeers Heroes

25-30 dB early in the morning in my flat, city but pretty quiet part of the town.

I agree, I was also very surprised when I have seen for the first time measures of my programs - this can't be true... :o  :huh:

But it really is.  :P

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok, continue....

TV - 53-72 dB;

Washer - 49-64 dB

Dryer -  65-70 dB

Microwave - 55 dB

Surprised that moving car produced only 55 - 75 dB

• HearPeers Heroes

Not many people understand dB for some reason, they feel the need to add %. "I'm 20% deaf"...... I try to explain it but most don't get it

• HearPeers Heroes

Not many people understand dB for some reason, they feel the need to add %. "I'm 20% deaf"...... I try to explain it but most don't get it

Yes, I read these lines quite often - instead of the fact how much words they can understand... I was interested what is the origin of this statement, Adam?

• HearPeers Heroes

The discussion of dB in this thread.

Just made me think of how people refer to their hearing loss

• HearPeers Heroes

:huh:

I think you did not understand me well - I am puzzled with that statement of people where they say - I am xx% deaf or HoH. I hear this quite often and do not know whether they or their audiologists interpret their hearing threshold on that way? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I hear that a lot too. I believe it is the patients' misunderstanding of what they were shown and told by their audiologists.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I thought so, but such an uniform misunderstanding....?

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah, I believe it is a uniform misunderstanding. People are just not familiar with decibels as a unit. I have had to re-explain many students' audiograms to their parents as a Teacher of the Deaf. I'm sure their audiologists used dB but they heard %. Maybe they are just mixing up the terms they hear: dB for loss and % for speech discrimination.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah - this is easier way to understand.... ^_^