CI and HA in same ear

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I know that in some countries the MedEl EAS is approved. I read some research in the US where Rene Gifford from Vandy highly recommends using a HA and CI in the same ear for anyone who has residual hearing. This does not apply to me because I do not have residual hearing but I'm curious. Do any of you know anyone who has tried wearing a HA and CI in the same ear simultaneously?

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe this was quite common before - lately I observe that nowdays custom practice is the opposite.

I believe I have been reading one of the users here, actually she described the process from the day while she used both devices until the day her HA couldn't give you what she needed and further her transition to the second CI.

Can you tell us here more about her conclusions? - Why she supports wearing a HA as far as it is possible?  

• HearPeers Heroes

I know what you describe above is common for bimodal users. Many times the HA in the contralateral ear becomes useless and is abandoned. However, I am trying to find info on someone using a CI and HA in the same ear. This is actually a question coming from a bilaterally implanted CI user who wants more bass tones and has some residual bass hearing in one of her CI ears. (And lives in the US where the EAS is not available).

I appear to be one of the few CI users who has lots of bass tones. We have had to ease up a bit on bass tones in my mappings.

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/effects-hearing-preservation-for-cochlear-12078

• HearPeers Heroes

It seems like EAS has got tired on its track... I haven't seen much studies in its favour although, without any doubts this is a very valuable implant. 

I guess I understand what are the origins of that practice: an implantation of anything, no matter how well results you have, is still a final decision which only some people do. The others are too scared or - depressed to try one more resolution...

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't seen much on EAS either. Seemed to read a number of studies about it quite a while back. Not so much these days

• HearPeers Heroes

Sonnet is EAS or CI. I mean it can be one or the other

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes there is a Sonnet version that is CI and a Sonnet version that is EAS. In the US, the EAS is not available. I've read about one gentleman from the US who went to Canada and received the EAS. Then his US audiologist was able to get one license from the FDA to program it for him.

• HearPeers Heroes

Doesn't make sense. If you are going to give license to program, why no approve? I assume it is still in clinics trials here maybe

• HearPeers Heroes

That's kind of ridiculous. Less people will benefit for now.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's kind of ridiculous. Less people will benefit for now.

Well Kara, take this in the light of the fact that Bonebridge also is not approved for the use in the U.S. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes there is a Sonnet version that is CI and a Sonnet version that is EAS. In the US, the EAS is not available. I've read about one gentleman from the US who went to Canada and received the EAS. Then his US audiologist was able to get one license from the FDA to program it for him.

Interesting, but I don`t see why FDA would consider individual but not group application for wider-use of that implant, although basically this is an implant like cochlear just the electrode is much shorter so it covers only a narrow part of cochlea.

• HearPeers Heroes

The policies of the FDA are beyond my understanding.

• HearPeers Heroes

God bless Europe - at least because of this, tiny small pennyworth...

• HearPeers Heroes

I guess one way too look at it is that I would much rather err on the side of caution to make sure that any implantable device is safe. Sometimes I think the FDA takes a little longer than they should. That being said, they have to investigated hundreds of different types of implants each year. We just have to wait our turn. I'm not 100% sure if the EAS system has even made it to the FDA yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

mmm..... European agencies are employed at least in the same extent as the FDA... Possibly understaffed...

• HearPeers Heroes

Probably so. As anything, I would assume we don't know what really has to happen behind the scenes.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is one of most universal truths...:) - If only we can be flies on their walls...:D;)

• HearPeers Heroes

It would be nice to know. I think this would make waiting much more bearable

• HearPeers Heroes

It would be nice to know. I think this would make waiting much more bearable

As always - arghhh... that patience...! :D :D